new 2kg setup

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new 2kg setup
    Posted: 30 Jan 2014 at 6:06pm
mozz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We are currently chasing the wahoo 4lb world record. Have had a few very close shots at it. We had a big fish that was over but the sharks got to the tail.

So anyway looking for a new reel for 2kg. I was thinking a talica billfish special but looking for options to replace my trusty old duel speedy 12 which finally kicked the bucket last weekend and ia due to be retired.......any suggestions welcomed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote harry mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2014 at 6:08pm
harry mike View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

shimano tiagra 12?
Fresh waters for drinking, Saltwaters for fishing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2014 at 6:26pm
mozz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We currently have a few small goldies in the mix for 8and 12lb but for 2kg they are a little heavy with a slow retrieve on the super light plus they have a steep drag curve
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Saltiga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2014 at 6:34pm
Saltiga View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

saltist  20 or 30 are the story
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2014 at 6:54pm
mozz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Got to be a leverdrag so we can back off for the first run to 1lb drag
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ELEVAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2014 at 6:57pm
ELEVAR View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

a little saltist 30 LD mite be worth a look
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Twocan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2014 at 7:24pm
Twocan View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I run an avet mxj with the florida cam arm for 4 kg and is very nice but stuff going to 2 kg far too impatient.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2014 at 8:02pm
mozz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Twocan anything over2kg is beyond achievable fir our location so we really need ti focus on the 2kg.we set strike@1kg then go to .75 for the end game. Avets havent got an ultra light drag cam yet
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2014 at 8:21pm
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

a spinning reel maybe the answer then top end job
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2014 at 8:28pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Go Mozz I hope you crack it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2014 at 8:30pm
the demon View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah moss,duels need constant attention but are bloody great when working well.Just gave mine the full monty at xmas. Youve got to chase hard on 2kg.We had a mako on 2kg we estimated at  70 kegs for and Hour till it let go.Nearly had a shot at it 2 times ,so close but so far away.Was doing the nationals few years back .Good luck ,love to see a photo of ya rig if you have time 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2014 at 8:31pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What about the Accurate Reels

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2014 at 8:43pm
mozz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Spinning reels just wont cut it. Wahoo need a good solid hookset for their tough mouths. Kandrew.... i have had really bad experience with avets and accurates but keen to try new bits of kit.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2014 at 8:52pm
mozz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Our best so far is 53# on 8# but there was 2 hours fight time. Just went bqck to my rodbuilder here and the talica bfs is looking good but i would love to hear about small reels with high retrieval rates
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote camdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2014 at 9:40pm
camdog View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Shimano Calcutta 200 is what I use. had no issues with it and landed some good fish on it. Star drag though. I find that when I use it heaps you get a real feel for what 2kg can do and you know when your close to popping point. This has a 6.1-1 ratio
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2014 at 10:16pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

half fully a slightly larger reel with backing Mozz,
cover the backing with tape then put your 2kg line on,
this will give you a huge advantage over small reels,
the drag being twice the size less friction stays smooth,
the retrieval rate will be massive having a larger spool,
only draw back could be its overall weight, of coarse depends on make/type of reel you do it to...
good luck on your adventure... 
Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Plonker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2014 at 12:16pm
Plonker View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The Talica's would be great with the fast 6.2 to 1.

I'm looking for a good 10kg game reel  Talica 20 or 25 ticked all the boxes but the bigger models are not rated for monoDisapprove.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JoshW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2014 at 6:13pm
JoshW View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Talica BFC would be a pretty good option I think mozz. Was talkn to the Hookin bull guys about light tackle Wahoo fishing while home last...Sounds like marlin are easier!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JoshW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2014 at 6:19pm
JoshW View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Considered the 20 BFC Plonker?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pure--lure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2014 at 6:20pm
pure--lure View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

tld5
http://www.facebook.com/groups/hibiscus.coast.fishing/
Page  12>