making burley.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gollyfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: making burley.
    Posted: 22 Jan 2014 at 6:15pm
gollyfish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

i scored a bin of salmon scraps last summer and its been sat in the freezer since. waiting for me to get my stuff togerther. anyhow the other day i got hold of an insinkerator for $25 which grinds the salmon into what can only be described as moose, i think it'll work good but it may need cutting with something with more texture....i read somewhere that pig pellets are good as they contain fishmeal, however the only ones i can find appear to be  vegetarian and  have the fishmeal at all!!!

the question is do i use the pig meal i can find or does anyone out there have any product that will be better?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2014 at 6:40pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Run a forum search...  there are several recent threads/ posts on burly making, recepies to methods.
As to a garbage insinkerator.. ok on what u intend, maybe.. but serious burley I and others use a garden mulcher
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gollyfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2014 at 7:26pm
gollyfish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

mmm garden mulcher......

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blindspot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2014 at 10:06pm
Blindspot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

just be aware that insinkerator are designed to be used with running water... you're likely to clog it up :)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gollyfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2014 at 4:28pm
gollyfish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

ok so hire a mulcher.......what about the pellets?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2014 at 6:35pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Mulcher/pellets , all covered in older and recent posts..
Some use diff type pig pellets for different reasons others like me use different type chicken pellets, more for thickening, consistency in the final product...
Read the old posts, lotsa info.....rather than expecting each persaon with their own thougfhts and reasons to type the whole lot out again
I use my old ryobi electric garden mulcher...
When one uses burley one generally uses bait.. burley bait gets expensive, so I buy wet fish, and use bait fish I catch and frames etc... Freeze store... when the bait freeze runs out of room  IO 'convert' the stored stuff into 2L burley bombs, generally around 20 to 25 bombs at a time...
So dont want to screwing around with mincers that choke on a semi frozen KY head, or the insinkerator jamming up, and something that doesnt blink at a sack or reject muscles and shells.
Even if I was only going to make say 5 or 10, would still use the mulcher....
Clean up sounds major... its not....covered in old burley threads/ posts/ discussions.