Jigging Rod first build completed.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote crashcoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jigging Rod first build completed.
    Posted: 29 Dec 2013 at 12:02am
crashcoco View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Got my first rod build completed in November and finally time to post some pics.
Big learning curve, lots learn't and picked up lots of tips and tricks from fellow rod builders and the web.
So much wrapping and unwrapping until I was happy. 
Kilwell 200 gram Nano blank, All guides Fuji Sic.
Went with an Acid Wrap just to have one in my rod collection and use with Trinidad reel I had to
have.

Aluminium trim and Eva from Mud Hole. Fuji Gimbal from GoFish. Shaped EVA on lathe at work.
Didn't try this on my Rod lathe at home due to mess it makes. Made up my own razor wand out of wooden dowel from Bunnings. Turn a taper on dowel to suit EVA ID and taper on your blank, cut a slot in the top of the tapered dowel (Junior Hack Saw blade width), rip a piece of emery tape (I used 100 grit) and wrap it in a spiral down the wand, fasten end with masking tape and your good to go.

Reel Seat, Trims and EVA fastened with Flex Coat Epoxy Glue. 

Used Pro Wrap Size "A" Silver Metallic and Electric Blue Metallic Under wrap with Silver spiral.
Pro Wrap Size "D" Colour fast Island Lagoon with Silver Metallic and Electric Blue Metallic Spiral Overwrap. 

Rod finished with 3 coats of Flex Coat Lite Build Ultra-V.

Not perfect but am happy with end product.
Rod has been blooded and worked a treat. Looking forward to future Kingy trips.

Have a CTS Softbait blank for my next project.
Looking forward to getting that one started.
Might try some marbling on this one.

Cheers Smile

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LouisJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2013 at 9:38pm
LouisJ View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Wicked dude, well done for a first build!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stormbringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2013 at 9:41pm
Stormbringer View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

looks great well done now ya need to christen it

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishing Addiction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2013 at 9:45pm
Fishing Addiction View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

tthat looks amazing mate
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote crashcoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2013 at 10:34pm
crashcoco View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by Stormbringer Stormbringer wrote:

looks great well done now ya need to christen it

Thanks guys, Took it up to Whangaroa a week after completion. Fishing was tough. Hooked a small king but that was as good as it got. Definitely looking forward to better battles.

Cheers Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Griffo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2013 at 6:43am
Griffo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Clap Really impressive first build. imagine what your 10th one is going to look like! Congrats.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rosewood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2014 at 6:57pm
rosewood View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

nice work Hilman she photographs well..Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Men In Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2014 at 7:04pm
Men In Black View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

lovely first build Hilman...be proud of it....can't wait for more from you...
MIB...
www.synit.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote crashcoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2014 at 9:25pm
crashcoco View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by Men In Black Men In Black wrote:

lovely first build Hilman...be proud of it....can't wait for more from you...
MIB...
Thanks MIB. Certainly makes you appreciate the amount of work that goes into Rod Building after you've built one yourself. Looking forward to next new build, just need to find time. Cheers Smile