Kaiaua fishing

Page  <1 2425262728>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2021 at 4:14pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well finally made it Kaiaua farms,barge working but we didnt go close but were in its trail.S wind of 8knts sunny morning. arrived about 8.00 and no action,moved 1 row over out of trail and yep good fishing for next 45 minutes,average snapper between 36 and 45 and rod bent and found this 5.8kg on the end. Typical winter fishing,very soft tugs so no jerking rod.Let them hook themselves. All hell broke loose with number 1 son,line peeling going different directions and he landed a very repectable kahawai measured 700mm(now being prepared for smoking) toal 8 snapper and 1 kahawai 1 yellowtail.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2021 at 5:12pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice - can't complain about that.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2021 at 5:31pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Fishb8 Fishb8 wrote:

Nice - can't complain about that.
Thanks,weather forecast was not the greatest,How do they get wrong so often.If I believed them I would never get out.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 1:34pm
skunk View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

With respect and sympathy for my locked up fishing buddies and other fishers..

Had to make use of the nice window yesterday morning.
Softbaited along the 10m line straight out from the quarry first up, put 1/2 dozen nice eaters in the bin then it went a tad slow so headed down to the bottom of the firth that has been producing all year round for us.
Dropped the pick in around 5m and started the dog roll burley trail🤫
Was slow whilst the tide sorted itself out but once the current built they came on nicely and although it was a pain in ass wind against tide setup we scored a nice bin of snaps up to 500mm.
Just great to be out there, hope it's not tòo long before the rest of the community can get into the spring fishing also.
"Team Skunk 10th equal Grunter Hunter 2020"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 2:32pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We will back there in a month when go level2. Nice fishing though
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 6:36pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nicely done Skunk, I must give that area a go sometime. Is there a concrete ramp or are you beach launching?
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 8:21pm
skunk View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey Kitno,
We launch from the private guy c Goss ramp but there are options all up the area and there is a decent public ramp at kaiaua itself..
Let me know if you're ever heading over ,can give some advice maybe.
Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2021 at 9:06pm
skunk View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Shot out Saturday afternoon for a few hours up to dark.
Fished shallow,probably only 3.5m .
Caught the last of the incoming and start of the out going.
Plenty of small ky and maccys around but the snapper were abit slower than last effort.
Still got a nice catch as the current picked up
And they filleted up extra nice after12hrs in salt ice this morning.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2021 at 3:25pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

6.00am launch at KKB (thought it Sunday by the amount going out)arrived at farm about 6.30,fresh mullet did the damage.8 snapper in 40 minutes ranging from 60 to 32,not even a look at the softbait salmon coloured thing.Fished in a row by ourselves while most converted on the barge working,a couple yaks out . Great morning. Stopped off the entrance to KKB 16m mark,my go to gps spot when all else fails,early lunch and picked up another 2 nice 55cm models all with row.

Back to ramp and lucky we can use the ramp cloeset to driveway as confusion setting in with other users.I was here first no you werent,slipped out and gone,dont need to get involved.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2021 at 3:42pm
tjm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Very nice fish , one of my mates has the key to gate and a membership, he was tempted but I said it wouldn't be worth the hassle with the so called lockdown in the Waikato and no corridor to the east from Hamilton.

Cant beat hunting and Fishing in N.Z
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2021 at 3:49pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by tjm tjm wrote:

Very nice fish , one of my mates has the key to gate and a membership, he was tempted but I said it wouldn't be worth the hassle with the so called lockdown in the Waikato and no corridor to the east from Hamilton.

very unlikeley to be stopped  but if you were bit of explaning.  Yes  very nice day,The extra driving around from Papakura just as easy to launch kkb,20 minute trip. 13 fter. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote tjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2021 at 4:01pm
tjm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yeh we are from Hamilton, unlikely but with a 7m hard top behind a but obvious even going through the back way I usually go from KKB my self if going to the gulf, easier even if there are more people at the ramp
Cant beat hunting and Fishing in N.Z
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2021 at 1:12pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Rugby FranceThumbs Up
Kingfish Thumbs Down grab run gone
Snapper 3 undersize
1 hammerhead and 1 thresher,now that was fun.Both only 4ft .Got to boat and cut line at hook.
Arrived 6.30am slight wind from the north,incoming tide. Fished till top then 1 hr outgoing. Hard day for nil.
Funny what 2 weeks difference can  make,same tide/wind but fullish moon
Fished same row ,tried outside farm in 16m back in to farm row that had spat. Few boats there but didnt see any real action. Most head across to Coro farms.Hmm L3 to L2 but what could go wrong with a lot boats overnighting at Ponui Island 1st/2nd bay.No overnight camping??L3 Who cares.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 8:02pm
skunk View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Sounds like you had one of those days pcj..
Have to have them now and again.

We were out extra early Friday morning .
Went across to the middle of the firth, had a good bite up until the 8.am high tide then it tapered off and fish got smaller.
We were able to score a nice bin of snaps up to 50cm and a few gurnard also.
I think key for us was the 5am launch and a solid burley trail up to the high tide.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2021 at 2:03am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Think thats the key to it,Skunk,burley,
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2021 at 2:59pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sunday looking good 10/12 knt sw .Just finished making burley so all set for 5.00am start.Wonder if number 1 will wake up??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2021 at 2:43pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Arrived at Farm at 6.30,pumping out burley and watching it sink,only takers were 28cm snapper and a lonesome king that was only 65cm  moved a couple of rows ,no change,few yaks out but not seeing any action. wind started to pick up so thought yeah time to get closer to home,tried at my 16m bugger 29.5 plenty of them ,so hoping with the number snapper close to mark should be better next yr??
Came across a school of KY  but bloody small 28cm if you were lucky,plenty of anchovy type around and gannets ,no terns.

Only good outcome ,finally found out why boat was hard to get off trailer,normally slides,last roller was square so now replaced,happy with winch rope too.And found my happy place coming back in a chop,cruise at 3.8 rpm gives 10.5 knts with bow raised so no water coming over, 19 mile round trip for 9lts so cannot complain

Beats working or xmas shopping.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Spudnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2022 at 7:39am
Spudnik View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Happy New Year y'all.

Went out Monday in the tinny from the quarry at first light and fished over the low tide. I picked up some 5" Zman doormatadorz in coconut ice the day before, and the snapper went nuts for them. Got a PB 52cm snapper, and we finished up with 14 good pannies between the 3 of us.

There was a good 1m + kingi following a fish I was reeling in, but apparently it wasn't hungry as we couldn't tempt him with any of our offerings. Saw a few baby hammerheads, and a massive shoal of what appeared to anchovies swimming round under us. Nothing was attacking them, but we were disappointed we couldn't stay for when there was!!
Buckler of Swashes
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lizid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2022 at 7:59am
lizid View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi Spudnik, have not used my key for many months while boat was being repaired. Ready to go now. How deep were you? What direction from quarry?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Spudnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2022 at 9:12am
Spudnik View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

We weren't that far out, but I can't say exactly as I don't have a sounder. At a guess, I would say 12m max. And we went almost straight out from the quarry, and we drifted north with the tide.

The motor got stuck in reverse when we launched the week before, so we rowed out about 500m - 1km from the ramp, and came home with a feed. Could have been a one off, but we had to have a chuckle at the big boats zooming past heading for distant fishing grounds LOL
Buckler of Swashes
Page  <1 2425262728>