Kaiaua fishing

Page  <12345 28>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cosmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2014 at 5:23pm
cosmo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

yes can do like most places just worth giving it a try nothings guaranteed
i just want to go fishing..........amd ignore all my adult problems
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 3rnzir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2014 at 8:28pm
3rnzir View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

How does this side of the firth fish in a SW?
How is the firth firing this week?
Cheerz
Peace.Via superior firepower..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cosmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2014 at 10:36pm
cosmo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

going off mint afternoon today got a decent feed all 30 plus and mint weather.straight out 8 metres of water on a incoming
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 3rnzir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2014 at 8:16pm
3rnzir View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

1st trip out from the GCG ramp today.
All a learning curve with new boat/electronics etc.
New Garmin chirp sounder had sign at the 17m mark.
Stayed about 3 hours at that mark.
13 snaps over the 30cm size to the bin.
2 x carrots.
2 x bulky KWs.
Very impressed with the anchor drum winch with the free fall mode.
Would highly recommend this style of winch to anyone who is old/weak/solo fisher/crook back etc.
Will certainly extend your fishing years/enjoyment.
Got back to ramp with less than 2hrs to low water.
Would not want to time it any less,water depth wise.
Great ramp and former Franklin District area.
Oh,got in on the last day of 9 snaps for a reccy.
7 tomorrow.
Wash down hose nearly ready to go at the ramp.
Thanx to the guys that gave me a few tips on the ramp/area.
Cheerz cobbers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Juan night only Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2014 at 1:32pm
Juan night only View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Anyone know what day the barges work? I remember something about a Wednesday or Friday

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cosmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2014 at 7:53pm
cosmo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

whats the GGG ramp plse
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gottafew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2014 at 10:42pm
Gottafew View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I would like to know as well please...
When people ask me how we got on I say..Yeah We Gottafew.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dead Ant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2014 at 2:17am
Dead Ant View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I think he means the Guy C Goss boat club which is a ramp in the Stevensons quarry a few k's north of Kaiaua.  Great ramp but you need to be a member to use it. 
3rnzir - I've used the ramp for the last 20 years and best way to plan to ave enough water is to look at a tide graph and when there is more than 1 metre of water you are ok to launch.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 3rnzir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2014 at 8:07am
3rnzir View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanx for the tip Dead Ant.
GGG was typo should be GCG ramp.
Edited update.
Will start to learn the whole mussel farm fishing routine soon.
Floats up high mean mussels have been harvested right?
Know about the Waimangu farm Nth of Kaiaua.
Not so sure about the farms on the Corro side yet.
Are there any particular days/times/tides of the week the mussels are harvested?
Beautiful out there.Vistas of the Corro one side Hunuas the other.
Next job is to find the flight paths for the ducks.
Not many sleeps to Opening Day now.
Cheerz cobbers.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2014 at 7:45pm
skunk View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Spent the day boating with the kids off kaiaua today, ..nice conditions after lunch .lots of sub 30cm snaps around did nt really get on to them.. got a couple of feeds but that is all..interested if others had similar results or if the mojo is just a bit f..kd up!!, hard to report on a tuff day but has to be done cheers
"Team Skunk 10th equal Grunter Hunter 2020"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spaceships Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2014 at 8:40pm
spaceships View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

good reports guys......great to hear what its like up there at the moment. brings back plenty of memories of great times on the water.......

finally got the spaceship into the southern waters to test hull and motor after the big layoff and relocate. Went great until a collision with a big seal just outside the otago heads.  Talk about another sort of marine hazard that i'm not used to. Got back ok once got motor restarted, sadly didn't look so happy for the seal.

The coastline is amazing down here .......beautiful and awe inspiring, seems a bit like the west coast but on the east coast. gotta treat it with some serious respect.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote katolad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2014 at 12:55pm
katolad View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey guys, has any one been out of kaiaua lately? Hows the fishing going up there? Conditions look good for tomorrow & the wife has given me a day off from nappys and said go out and enjoy a day on the water. I know she would want to be out there too, but our wee girl at 3 weeks old requires her to stay home this time. So I might take my father and father in law out instead. Just hope we can get onto a few nice fish so we can take home a feed for dinner.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2014 at 8:14pm
skunk View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Went for a fish out in the firth from kaiaua today.heaps of ky out in the middle ground and a few snapper under them.Best snapper around the 2kg mark , not bigbut they are getting in real nice nick..the ky were slabby in comparison.great day to be out on the water..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 3rnzir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2014 at 4:00am
3rnzir View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Middle ground yesterday.
2.5 hours kept 9 snappers from 32-36cms .
Amongst 3 anglers.
Lucanas rigs did the damage.
Light southerly wind and smallish tides probably made fishing hard.
Nice for drifting though.
So no complaints from me.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2014 at 8:12pm
skunk View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice you got a feed 3rnzir..last time out we did well on a kabura drifting out in the middle.cool fun
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 3rnzir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2014 at 8:54am
3rnzir View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Went out from the quarry ramp to the 12 meter mark.
1st drift 09:30.
Was not expecting much to be fair.
Southerly wind,a little lumpy.
Well,we ended up smashing the fish (schnapper).
Inchinkus only x 3 fishers.
Including a PB for me of 54cms for the Firth,so far.
Most fish in the 35-38cm range.
3 x snapper limits by 11:00
Plus 3 x nice KY.
Boat on trailer by 12:15
Brilliant day.
Pink skirt,white orange Inchinku did the bushiness(as in that colour out fished the other inchinku combos)
5 x families/households had fresh fish delivered to them yesterday.
One never knows how it will go till one drops a line in.
All fish in good nick and very scrappy to play on the rod.
Cheerz

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2014 at 4:44pm
skunk View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thats what you call SMASHING them over 3rnzir!.
Wicked fishing in anyones language
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Drakar1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2014 at 11:04am
Drakar1 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I too had the same experience on Sat. Figured with the SE wind that it would be quiet. However - launched out of old quarry and out to the 20m mark. If you could get through the schools of Kawahai - plenty of snaps on the bottom. Was non stop action. Cant beat the jitterbugs. All snapper the usual firth size 32-40. Well done 3rnzir on the PB for the Firth.
Just shared the smoked kawahai with work for morning tea - gone straight away!
Cant wait to get back out.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Brimel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2014 at 12:05pm
Brimel View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi
Not quite kaiaua!, but a quick post, the old boy got a 20lb snap in Omaru Bay (5 mins north of Coro town) mussel lines on Saturday, on Squidgy Softbail, not the best photo, measured 83cms.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2014 at 2:28pm
skunk View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

That's real good going aswell Drakar1, sounds like all feeding up out in the firth...nice oneThumbs Up

Crikey Brimel, that's a stunner to pull out of the farms..always wondered about the ones that were not stoppable.. now I have a clue!
Congrats to that Fulla , real well doneCool
Page  <12345 28>