Kaiaua fishing

Page  <1234 28>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gottafew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2014 at 10:53pm
Gottafew View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Good stuff.The police persuit of this Asian dude through kaiaua was entertaining lol
When people ask me how we got on I say..Yeah We Gottafew.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 9:53am
skunk View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks for the reports guys..
What direction and depth did you get on to them Spaceships?
"Team Skunk 10th equal Grunter Hunter 2020"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ramcoed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 10:27am
ramcoed View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi all,launched at F.Lowry rd 7;30 am,headed north to kaiaua mussel farms,sat there for 1 1/2 hrs but no joy.
pulled the pin and headed for the middle of the firth 26m,pulled in 3 gurnard ,1 good 2 smaller which went back hr later no bitesso pulled the pin for the markers out from waikawau.1st drop got a 40cm snapp in that was it for a coup hrs,heaps of bites but no hook-ups.Pulled the pin and headed to north most mussel farm,sat 200ms of this where a heap of gannets were sitting on the surface some still bombing,looked promising! but no justa few 30cm pannys which went back .
wind chopped up and bites droppred off so we headed to a farm 2 farms down where the missus pulled in 3 better snaps in half a hr and I only 1! My mate didn't catch 1 keepy 5 snaps between 35 -40 and a gurny in the bin we headed back to kaiaua in the crap and was back on the beach at 5pm,still good day out on the water .
limit your catch not catch your limit!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cosmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 3:23pm
cosmo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

good report tho,looks like weathers kaka till Tuesday now tho

what was the Asian dude being chased for hahaha
i just want to go fishing..........amd ignore all my adult problems
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gottafew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 3:47pm
Gottafew View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I don't know.He parked just opposite me as I was tying the boat down.A police car pulled up behind him and the officer got out and walked up to the car and the Asian dude did a runner.He took off towards Miranda with the police in pursuit.He did a u turn somewhere and came flying back through kaiaua again and almost lost it on that tight bend as you enter the boat ramps and headed towards kawakawa bay.Police were everywhere but don't know whether they got him or not.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blueboy1969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 4:02pm
Blueboy1969 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey Cosmo - took your advice and joined up. Haven't made it out to Kaiaua at all yet this season. Looks a bit breezy for this weekend. Let us know when you are heading out. Spent last week at Cooks beach pulling in tiddlers with 50 thousand other boats.
 Might see you and the big boy tonite for some rabbit hunting
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ramcoed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 4:06pm
ramcoed View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Gottafew,F.Lowry road is just north out of Kaiaua town appox 1 km from domain.its where the next group of houses on the seaward side,google maps it and you can zoom right in .cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gottafew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 5:39pm
Gottafew View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Cheers m8.I think I'll keep launching at kaiaua as I like the facilities.Shame it's not all tide tho..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cosmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 7:06pm
cosmo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

whats the rules plse on kaiaua as far as tidal, have lunch out there quite often and seems rather shallow at the top end of the channel there watching people launch there
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gottafew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 7:36pm
Gottafew View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yes very shallow.Half to full tide only so you have too get the tides right..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spaceships Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 10:39pm
spaceships View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

skunk.....
i just went straight out. Not north at all. Went nearly to the middle of the firth and dropped anchor. About 5-6m only.....  Big salmon burley doing the business.
I think the time of day helped too.

regarding the ramp...yeah.....half tide or better unles you like launching off the beach bit.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 3rnzir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2014 at 6:42am
3rnzir View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Any traps for newbies regards the Stevensons quarry ramp at low water.
Have membership,but have not launched from there yet.
Drove down there in Nov for a recce of the ramp.
Nice looking facilities.
Any rocks/banks/low tide hazards to be aware of?
Cheerz
Peace.Via superior firepower..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2014 at 9:01am
skunk View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks for that spaceships..yeah was talking to an old seadog over there one day and he said he always goes straight out or south after christmas.

Hey 3rnzir- we have been using the quarry ramp for a couple of years now, havnt com. across any hazards in there apart from lack of water!
Yes i admit to spending 5 hrs on the mud by cutting it too fine on a lowish lowtide.
We will like at least 2hrs from low retrieving or launching for that reason.we keep to the side the barges are on for the best depth.
This is the best info I can give.its an awesome ramp and has been improved by a pontoon on the left side swell..
Good luck when you go.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 3rnzir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2014 at 9:20am
3rnzir View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanx for that skunk.
May catch up with you at the ramp when my boat is up and running.
cheerz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cosmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2014 at 4:48pm
cosmo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

went out of kaiaua for the first time today 3 hrs before high and till a bit shallow no water at all up the creek there,worked our way north to the mussel farms there and got a couple but put them back certainly seems to be a good spot tho except she cut up quite well out there this afternoon and made for a good trip home hahaha didn't get wet at all tho
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gerrystackle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2014 at 12:09pm
Gerrystackle View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

It certainly was a tough day last Thursday - cheers Paul.

A belated report on this; but last Thursday I headed out with Gottafew for the first time in a very long while (Late feb last year for me). I was pretty excited about the prospect of heading out after negotiating a leave pass with the Mrs. It was a beaut morning that's for sure and we launched at Kaiaua. However it wasn't until after midday that we were able to put one in the bin. Things had been very very slow up until that point with only a few undersized fish making the effort to take out baits.

I was gutted at one point when my knot tying abilities let me down and I lost a near new Jitterbug when having a tussle with what felt like a nice fish on my Shimano baitcaster. Poor bugger, I hope it managed to shake the lure loose eventually. I was so deflated by the event I put the baitcaster away.

Conditions were nice and hot, and there were a few gannets around, as well as sign on the sounder. But I guess it was just one of those days when things just didn't really come together. As the day progressed we became plagued by small snapper - many close to 27, but we wanted the 32+ only. So we got good at releasing fish.

But - with six in the bin we had enough for a feed and I have to say my wife and kids really enjoyed their first fresh fish in quite some time. Its always a good day out with Gottafew, so thanks once again mate.

Next stop for me is now Nepal as I travel with some great young people to see the influence our great Sir Ed had on the people of the Khumbu Valley in the Himalayas. Trekking at an altitude higher than Mount Cook is going to be a challenge that's for sure. If you want to know more about it check out this link;

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Greg-Fundraising-for-the-Himalayan-Trust/136108373266292

Cheers all!

G
Greg
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2014 at 8:30am
skunk View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Kaiaua fri 10th.left quarry at 2.30 ish went south until we were out from road maggots at miranda in 8m of water.
bloody westerly was hustling thru there making a nasty short chop!.Snaps came on the bite when the tide started to run out and berley pumped..good pannies with best going 450ish.
back to ramp at 7:30, first time heading sth this year so was good to get a good feed .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ramcoed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2014 at 10:34am
ramcoed View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Left Kaiaua 7.30 am yesterday,set out to the middle 20ms,got a coup of 35s and a nice gurnard and a big kahawai.Set out a small Kahawai livey but no takers although a couple of legal kings did follow a snapper to the boat!
Pulled the pin and headed to the north most mussel farm off Waikawau and burleyed up for 6 snapper over 35 and a few more 33 ish.Call was made nothing under 35 so every thing else went back.Set out a live jack mack and it got monstered by a 6 ft bronzey on the surface!was awesome to see,line snapped as soon as I put the drag on.
Interesting to see a few sharks cruzing the surface to.Pulled the pin to Kaiaua farms and proceeded to get machine gun bites for the next hour with only 2 small! snapps .The only excitement was the stray lined jack mak screeming off on the 12000d where I put the call out 20kg king as it almost sufaced in a high speed arch around the end of the farms,drag pumped up I bout it to the back of the boat after 10mins....Bloody eagle ray! about 15kgs,released it then shot back to Kaiaua 8 snapps and a gurnard in the bin,still good day on the water!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blueboy1969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2014 at 11:43am
Blueboy1969 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Cosmo - popped out with a mate to the mussel farm Sat morning (15/2)as discussed. Lucky enough the mussel barge was working as soon as we got there. Tied up beside it. 14 good snaps in the boat in just over an hour. Full on fishing. A lot of fun. Biggest were 45cm most between 35 - 40. Threw heaps of smaller ones back. Went out into the middle and took another hour to catch 1 fish!. Good morning out. Fish for all the neighbours so in the good books with them all. Hope you enjoyed working!!Cry

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 3rnzir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2014 at 8:23am
3rnzir View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Does the Firth fire up in the autumn?
Page  <1234 28>