leader to lure knot

Page  123>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: leader to lure knot
    Posted: 19 Dec 2013 at 4:19pm
Pico View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

While fishing on monday I had a uni knot bust resulting in a lost stickbait and kingi.

Just wondering what knots people are using to attach the lure to the leader?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ELEVAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2013 at 5:37pm
ELEVAR View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

uni with jigstar leader sleave
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KingySlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2013 at 8:15pm
KingySlayer View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

The Ducks nuts. Chain Knot, Uni... It all works on these. JigStar Grommets and Swivel Connection. One way i connect.
www.assassinsportsfishing.com
www.facebook.com/assassinjigteam
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2013 at 8:45pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by Pico Pico wrote:

While fishing on monday I had a uni knot bust resulting in a lost stickbait and kingi.

What lb and brand of  mono where you using and how many times have you used this "particular" knot before breaking.
You will mostly  find a "big" fish always seem to  break you off especially if you havent prepared your gear to the max for "every" fish but you always seem to catch all the average fish.
I hate it when that happensCry
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2013 at 9:01pm
Pico View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by kaveman kaveman wrote:

Originally posted by Pico Pico wrote:

What lb and brand of  mono where you using and how many times have you used this "particular" knot before breaking.
You will mostly  find a "big" fish always seem to  break you off especially if you havent prepared your gear to the max for "every" fish but you always seem to catch all the average fish.
I hate it when that happensCry

I was using 130lb ygk leader, and had just landed a 15kg king... so maybe should have retied the knot after that?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2013 at 9:08pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

One fish, maybe not mate, unluckly,  but i always do a double loop around the ring i tie to and if possible use hollow leader knot cord as well
Can get expensive loosing gear to fish so practicing knots is goodWink
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stonefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2013 at 9:38pm
Stonefish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I've read that the chain knot is a fluorocarbon knot only? Is this correct? I've got YGK Castman Absorber leader, is this gonna be ok to tie the chain knot with?
Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KingySlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2013 at 9:58pm
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Mate i have read, heard and spoken to some well renowned top water fisherman around the globe and its a flip of the coin topic. Each to their own. Some of the best i have seen complete the chain knot for mono and straight to the lure or the grommet. Then i have seen them change to a uni knot on a different lure as they find the lure "works" better or they have found it is better suited to that particular lure (One chap i had stick baited with had said he had been out fishing with Konishi and he used a Chain knot for some lures). I am also sure there was a topic on here not to long ago in regards to Yeehaa tieing the AG Chain knot also.

There is NO right or WRONG way when it comes fishing (within reason). I am sure someone would have something different to say, but i like to keep an open mind and try new ideas.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stellamoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2013 at 6:26am
Stellamoon View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by KingySlayer KingySlayer wrote:

Mate i have read, heard and spoken to some well renowned top water fisherman around the globe and its a flip of the coin topic. Each to their own. Some of the best i have seen complete the chain knot for mono and straight to the lure or the grommet. Then i have seen them change to a uni knot on a different lure as they find the lure "works" better or they have found it is better suited to that particular lure (One chap i had stick baited with had said he had been out fishing with Konishi and he used a Chain knot for some lures). I am also sure there was a topic on here not to long ago in regards to Yeehaa tieing the AG Chain knot also.

There is NO right or WRONG way when it comes fishing (within reason). I am sure someone would have something different to say, but i like to keep an open mind and try new ideas.

LOL Konishi-san does not tie a chain knot!
It may look like it but it is not, as he showed me and Luke himself a few weeks ago at Yeehaa.

I would suggest you learn the knot Eric Le Guyader (Orion Lures) ties as I have personally found this to be one of the strongest. Sorry I can't remember the name.
Ginga can attest for this knot as he also use's it.

Also bear in mind that that by adding in grommets etc it changes the action of some stickbaits
 eg Gamma 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ballsout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2013 at 6:50am
Ballsout View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

It may look like it but it is not, as he showed me and Luke himself a few weeks ago at Yeehaa.

So what the big knot you can't tell us????????
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stellamoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2013 at 7:06am
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Stinkbait101288 Stinkbait101288 wrote:

What knot do you currently tie Stinkbait? Wink

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2013 at 6:04pm
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Could Luke or Anesh help us mere stickbaiting mortals with this wonderous knot ?Wink Does it have a name , is there a U tube 'how to tie' or could perhaps one of the chosens ones could post one up for us ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ballsout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2013 at 9:34pm
Ballsout View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I use all sorts really chain knot, uni knot with and with out knot sleeve and the swivels like what kingyslayer posted. I do like the swivel way for changing from bait to bait but this don't work for sum baits and a bit of the action is lost. It is all a bit of a hard thing to say that one knot can work every bait to it best and hooks well that a different story. On the other hand I would like to know what this new knot is that stellamoon has posted so I can give it a go, I also see on enchanter page it has konishi with a carpenter that has a spilt or solid ring on it. I don't know if this is to get the single hooks to work with the bait better or not but would like to know.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote segador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2013 at 10:50pm
segador View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

i wouldnt bother getting to tech on the knots and swivels and carry on been sickbaiting with luke 5 or 6 times now and we both catch the same amount of kings i just tie a snapper knot with a melted tag end been put under serious pressure never had one break yet not even 80 kilo shark sorting your sweeping technique is most important to catch more fish imo
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2013 at 8:21am
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I think some of us would be interested in what knot Konsihi- san uses as he probably does more testing than most .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ginga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2013 at 10:20am
ginga View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

That knot looks different to what I seen Konishi use, maybe he has changed it recently. Couldn't tell you the name of the one I seen him use ,Chris Wong may be able to help? Remember the one he showed us many years ago at the kings Chris, that's the one he was still using on his trips out with me and it looked not even remotely like a chain knot.
Anesh I can't remember Eric's knot but knowing Eric it would have been very simple, I do remember he ran 200lb leader may have even been a simple uni but I'm not sure.
I use a tube knot myself, principle is same as uni but much neater and more reliable.
Otherwise I crimp, not really sure why nobody is even mentioning crimping? Very effective, nest and reliable method and action of lures not really compromised.
It's what I regularly see Mogi San use so must be ok.
Cheers Mark
www.extremesportfishing.co.nz.
Agent for Carpenter, Orion and ASWB products

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fishmad1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2013 at 8:47pm
fishmad1 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Stellamoon Stellamoon wrote:

Originally posted by Stinkbait101288 Stinkbait101288 wrote:

What knot do you currently tie Stinkbait? Wink

Looks like a TN Knot with a series of straight hitches,

www.hi-ika.com
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stonefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2013 at 12:44am
Stonefish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I crimp, its pretty easy and reliable I reckon. Haven't done enough topwater fishing to comment on lure action
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KingySlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2013 at 7:03pm
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by Stellamoon Stellamoon wrote:

It may look like it but it is not, as he showed me and Luke himself a few weeks ago at Yeehaa

Thanks for those STELLA words moon. Let me refine my speaking. I was speaking based on him using certain knots for certain lures. Also should maybe have said "has" used and could still be.... Even as stated by you, EXTRA CONNECTIONS reduce lure action on eg GAMMA. So what i mean is if its okay for him then surely it must be for us as in the question at hand was "I have heard a Chain Knot is a NO NO for Mono". Was simply trying to answer this chaps question and not rusle feathers over what YA mate uses. Looking at that photo it may aswell be a chain knot or one variation of... To answer the question based on the pic shown mate it is not a no no to complete a Chain Knot.

But looking forward to trying out this new knot when we have details of how to tie.

Anyway as stated don't get to tech. Work out what works for you then go with it. As i said, NO right or WRONG way but some will attest saying IT MUST BE DONE THIS WAY. If you catch fish you are doing something right.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stellamoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2013 at 2:05am
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by KingySlayer KingySlayer wrote:

Am i missing the fact that you clearly state "(One chap i had stick baited with had said he had been out fishing with Konishi and he used a Chain knot for some lures)"

Secondly  I never said not to use an extra connection, just that it will change the action of some lures.  

Kingslayer I would suggest you comment on what knots you've tried and tested yourself, and not on what some international "chap" on some forum wrote or told you. I know plenty of world renown international Topwater fisherman too, so what ??
I don't go posting what they told me on this forum until I've tried and tested it myself.

You made a comment that the Godfather of Topwater fishing Konishi-san would use a Taiwanese jiggers knot (chain knot).PLEASEShocked 
Have some respect, and try and get your facts straight before making a comment like that.

I really don't mind what knot you choose to tie your stickbait with if it works for you,
But don't mislead others.....

Page  123>