kaipara reports

Page  <1 2425262728 33>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TommyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2019 at 12:55pm
TommyT View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Bugger me it happened again.

Perfect conditions, a nice bag of carrots and the Warriors came from behind for another win
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2019 at 5:32pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Well done that man ... will be giving it a shot on Thursday but doubt that conditions will be as good as you enjoyed judging by the pics !

Good on the warriors but let's not forget the massive effort from the Silver Ferns!
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TommyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2019 at 9:11am
TommyT View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Cheers Bazza,

All our trips so far have been on the incoming tide but if conditions allow we'll give it a crack on the outgoing this Sunday.  Really enjoying the fishing the Kaipara.  We've only been targeting Gurnard so far but might have a crack at some of those fat winter Snapper this trip.
I wish I could find the time to get out during the week but bloody work keeps getting in the way.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2019 at 8:36am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

After many years of learning the hard way through regular mishaps I seem to have established an undeserved reputation of being a reliable source of information, consequently have often been asked by new comers for advice on fishing on the Kaipara. 

Nevertheless am pleased to do so but always after qualifying I am no expert merely someone who should have learned something after 40 yrs. or more of making every mistake or bad decision in the book. One aspect I strongly warn against is going out in foggy conditions or when there is likely to be heavy rain making it difficult to establish your location or where sand bars are ... also best if possible to operate on a rising tide so as to have a degree of latitude should you run aground.

OK this still applies but yesterday proved to be yet another example of not listening to my own advice & one of "do as I say & not as I do" when driving to the Mangakura ramp in thick fog. The tide was falling towards low but reasoned that we could at least launch then possibly make our way out via the markers as the fog appeared to be rather patchy & hopefully would afford sufficient visibility to do so. 

Managed to make reasonable progress to about what we thought was over half way out before the fog thickened & could not see any marker stakes or buoys, so wisely ( for a change ) opted to anchor until we could do so choosing to fish whilst we waited despite the shallow water which produced a couple of KY. Awhile later a marker stake could be made out albeit barely, so up anchor to move in its' general direction whereupon subsequent makers became visible so
being mindful of the falling tide went faster than sensible managing to hit a rock when a double stake indicated a rock & not the channel. This was rather confusing as should not be there from memory but reasoned that maybe it had only recently been placed so seemed little alternative than to continue following the markers however was becoming increasingly concerned they were not forming a familiar pattern or that we had not yet sighted an island which is a major landmark the channel passes close to.

Eventually the puzzle was resolved when a familiar landscape became visible thru the mist revealing the fact that somewhere or other we had done a 180 degree turn & we were well up the Hoteo river on the way back to the ramp. Made the snap decision to turn back to take our chances despite now having lost time to an all important falling tide.

Somehow or other managed to make our way out beyond the shallow water with only one grounding which was resolved by my jumping over & some how with seconds ticking by, only just managed to push the boat into a bit deeper water then get underway again.

We were now somewhat comforted to be in deeper water but the downside was that without visibility had no real idea of exactly where we were or what direction to head, so once more anchored up which added another couple of KY. At one stage we heard a noise & a larger boat passed close by at a fair speed obviously aware of where they were & heading to .... presumably the heads but I would not have picked they were in that direction.

Eventually could make out the hazy outline of familiar cliffs so moved off in that direction but with half the sky now clear blue we were constantly going into patches of thick fog that would suddenly form. To further complicate matters the sounder reading tended to drop at alarming speed from 11 or 12 mtrs to 1/2 mtr requiring the motor to be tilted & a quick decision made as to which direction to head for deeper water ... thankfully managed to get lucky in that regard but were further concerned that unfamiliar exposed rocky reefs were appearing ... oh ho another mini disaster in the making ... congratulations Bazza.

Against all odds blundered our way to our intended location by which time it was almost right on slack water so we opted to go ashore for a couple of buckets of oysters.

Thankfully things improved somewhat from thereon & at least the sea was absolutely glass like ... more so than I have ever seen. Overall the fishing was mediocre with only KY & gurnard ... nary a snapper yet 3 weeks ago were scoring plenty of fine specimens.

Pockets of trapped fog could be seen here & there midway thru the day, so decided to be prudent by heading back before any likely temperature changes made it re form.   

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2019 at 9:29am
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Hi Bazza

I was out in the fog yesterday but reasonably confident because I have a charter plotter on the boat, and I usually take a portable Garmin Etrex as a backup especially in fog.  Kept the speed down to 8 knots in the heaviest fog to be able to hear and react to other boats.  I've made the slightly nerve-racking trip from Puponga Pt to Mako Pt on the Manukau in heavy fog, but in that case I worked out before what my compass heading needed to be and stuck to that.  Musick Pt to Motuihe in similar pea soup, again with the compass bearing worked out.

Might not be so easy on the Kaipara because the channels can be narrow, and move about a bit.

Yesterday I launched at Stanmore Bay wearing jeans, gumboots.  Small surf enough to knock the boat off course and back to shore.  What a performance getting the motor started and out of there.Ouch  Ended up with full gumboots and very bad tempered.  Will take a pole next time and pole out thru the waves before starting the motor.  So I has me moments of muppetry, that's for sure.
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Saltwater addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2019 at 7:20pm
Saltwater addict View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi bazza

Have you thought of launching from stables landing? I suggest you check it out at some stage it's roughly 15-20 minutes north of hoteo. The channel is masaive compared to the hoteo apart from a a mud bank close to the ramp it's pretty plain sailing. That's were I go if it's foggy or it's going to be dark around low when leaving or coming back in. I went out Wednesday for high tide around old man's nose to try and get a big snapper for a workmate could only manage a 3 kg snap few gurnard and xxl kahawai then went down a bit further and got 10 snaps in 1.5 hrs and few more gurnard
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2019 at 10:33pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Ah ha ... the mythical Stables landing that I have spent a huge amount of time fruitlessly searching for, finally deciding it must be a figment of imagination.
For if it actually existed, then reasoned there must be an access road somewhere on the minor highway between Mangakura & Port Albert but have never managed to find anything even remotely likely short of a farm track accessed via a farm gate.

Have managed to find road access to such locations as Lemon Tree Bay, Orongo Point & Tapora etc. but Stables Bay has always remained elusive & the likes of google searches have not provided  enlightment either.

Would be ultra keen to give it a shot but need to find it first !

Originally posted by Saltwater addict Saltwater addict wrote:

Hi bazza

Have you thought of launching from stables landing? I suggest you check it out at some stage it's roughly 15-20 minutes north of hoteo. The channel is masaive compared to the hoteo apart from a a mud bank close to the ramp it's pretty plain sailing. That's were I go if it's foggy or it's going to be dark around low when leaving or coming back in. I went out Wednesday for high tide around old man's nose to try and get a big snapper for a workmate could only manage a 3 kg snap few gurnard and xxl kahawai then went down a bit further and got 10 snaps in 1.5 hrs and few more gurnard
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Saltwater addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2019 at 6:49am
Bronze
Bronze

Try witheford rd. Let me know when your thinking of heading up and I'll give you a few pointers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2019 at 11:08am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by Saltwater addict Saltwater addict wrote:

Try witheford rd. Let me know when your thinking of heading up and I'll give you a few pointers

PM sent
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clifftastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2019 at 11:24am
Clifftastic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 9:55pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Thanx Cifftastic for the topo map as along with a long phone chat with saltwater addict has helped me figure out where it is & roughly how to get there.

All that remains now is to give it a shot, that is if this weather ever stops unleashing its' fury.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lemmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2019 at 6:07pm
lemmy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Does anyone travel to the Kaipara from Whangarei which is the best all tide ramp anywhere better than tinopai , miss fishing the Kaipara after our move up North cant get used to this east coast fishing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote terrafish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2019 at 7:08pm
terrafish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Pahi, turn off just before Oakleigh, mangapai/paparoa rd, bring you out at paparoa and pahi turn off just up the rd thru town. Can get tricky at dead low tide but if you are 4wd and not a monstrous boat, then you should be right. You are a fair way up the harbour however.
Equally distant but in the other direction is the b.o.i and that opens up into a whole different world of options and opportunity's. I hope you have explored up here!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 9628 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2019 at 7:54pm
9628 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

There are large patches on the east coast that we call dead zones or desserts up here completely decimated by trawlers eg off tutukaka. Fish all you like and you may get lucky but they are regularly hammered by the commercials and that's just how it is. You need to fish long and hard try various spots throughout the year and you will get a few good spots, that the trawlers cant fish eg nets get caught there or are just odd spots where most fishos would not think to fish.
Many locals up here are really backward and keep them to themselves for the above reasons.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big Weta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2019 at 8:12pm
Big Weta View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Batley is another option. A bit further than Pahi and 4x4 recommended as well. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mad Spearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2019 at 9:29am
Mad Spearo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi all, is there anything to be aware of with Mangakura boat ramp? Fees, tides, dodgy spots on the way out etc.? Launched Shelley beach last time was all good but keen to explore a new area. Tia
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Saltwater addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2019 at 9:54am
Bronze
Bronze

I'd recommend taking your time heading out and if it's out going tide as the channel is quite small and shallow it's pretty well marked with stakes and buoys.Still has seen a few boats high and dry heading out.If fishing low tide I usually launch and retrieve 2 hours either side of low. It can get pretty busy there in the summer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sappercatcha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2019 at 10:23am
sappercatcha View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Was always a $5 ramp fee unsure if that still applies...
Ramp is very steep and Slippery at low tide so watch that
And yep take it easy alot of shellow water arround there chart plotter is a god send
keep up the good work boys
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2019 at 9:41pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Do NOT attempt to go out from there if likely to be foggy or heavy rain which will make the ti tree marker stakes near impossible to see ..... trust me .... but don't ask how I know !

Also not a good idea to put too much trust in chart plotters as they are mostly reliant existing charts which could be quite dated & the narrow channel is constantly changing course. Not by much perhaps but enough to potentially make things difficult eg not too many years back the path out went in the front of the island.

Also if you do go aground do not jump over the side to push without first checking how firm the bottom is as there are places you can find yourself up to your knees or even deeper in sticky mud .... once again please don't ask how I know & spare me the embarrassment! 

Good idea also to work out which marker stakes mark the edge of the channel & which ones mark rock formations.

Other than that it should be a "piece of cake"

Have fun
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mad Spearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2019 at 6:51am
Mad Spearo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks! My other question is wind and swell. I guess swell would be fairly negligible I'm the harbour would it unless the wind is up? And what wind is worth avoiding? Eg this Friday it looks like SW10-12 knots. Is that a good, ok or bad day on the kaipara? Or should I go east coast?
Page  <1 2425262728 33>