kaipara reports

Page  <1 30313233>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote otdrmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 9:51pm
otdrmn View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Finally got out for a fish and managed to stretch the fly line as well as some dirty old bait on the Kaipara

YouTube video here
The 4 R's ~ Rods, Reels, Rifles, Rooting
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sappercatcha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 10:26pm
sappercatcha View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Good video g
keep up the good work boys
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote sappercatcha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 10:49pm
sappercatcha View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

My dad and i shot down today aswell
I spotted sambj in the car park
So i shot otdrmn a message to see where he was hiding turns out he was hiding exactly where I was heading great minds think alike eh πŸ‘
G reported fishing was quiet which is kind of expected this time of year

We just burleyed up sat and waited
1st half hour was quiet as then the rod in the holder went off and up came the 1st snapper of spring/summer for me a very respectable harbour snapper of 550mm and arround 6lb
Very quick after dad hooked up on a slightly smaller fish arround 500mm

I then snaped off on what I believe was a very big snapper i I think the line touched the motor as it took off

The next few hours till high tide were very slow with a fish comeing onboard every half hour or so
All good harbour snapper no small ones

Smallest fish was 42 biggest was 550 6 fish total

Yes they were on ice just removed for photo
keep up the good work boys
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Transformations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2020 at 1:45pm
Transformations View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Tough day at the office yesterday. Forcast was totally backwards with a very fresh northerly early morning I did not stick to plan to hit the middle banks for bigger snaps. Stayed closer and shallow,loads of just legal snaps....still holding on to my record of no undersize fish on the Kaipara this year . Water very warm at over 20deg already.

Got one good sized gurnard and did battle with 3 rays which tested out the light gear and the arms . As the day went on the wind died away and by the time I headed for home it was glass. Tried softies as well and got a few hits but nothing stuck. Home with 1x gurnard and 1 x snap....still good to be out on the water as due to a combination of moving house and work, my last trip out was 45 days and 15hrs ago....approx😁😁. Bumped into Gumboot at the carwash on the way home, good to see ya.
We don't know what we don't need till we've got it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote r20b_pp@hotmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2020 at 7:17pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yeah great to see ya and the quick catch up.
Iv found my last few trips on the kaipara like that aswell seems just as they come on the bite the small stuff turns up in numbers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mad Spearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 6:31am
Mad Spearo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi everyone! I'm heading out tomorrow for the second time on the Kaipara in a couple of years... Anyone been out recently?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote slayliner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 9:18am
slayliner View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi Im hoping to head out there tomorrow as well , let you know how I get on , cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Saltwater addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 6:59pm
Saltwater addict View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Been out twice in the last week got limit of snapper both time nothing under 42cm.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Turnright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 7:12pm
Turnright View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Awsome catch, where's the ice or cold water slurry? I'd be looking after those fish a bit better and will taste alot better! Just my opinion of course and do as you like
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Saltwater addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 7:34pm
Saltwater addict View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Forgot to buy ice the night before. So just put afew frozen bottles in the bottom and put water in when I left. Usually have a bag or 2 in the freezer but used them on the previous trip. Luckily I was only fishing for 2 hrs. And the water is nice and cold
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote slayliner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2022 at 9:38am
slayliner View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

We went out for a few hours from Ruawai in the thick fog . Visibility was 50m max , we didn't see land til we got back to the ramp ,about 1.30. We caught 3 snapper 450-490mm and 2 kahawai , plenty enough for tea and raw fish .Incoming tide was better , cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Transformations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2022 at 1:02pm
Platinum
Platinum

Had a really good day yesterday, launched Shelly at 6am to hit our outgoing spot at the right time, clear at first till the fog rolled over and held through to midday.

Fishing was slow and steady with good size snaps, gurnard and kahawai coming in.

Kept six snaps 45 to 60, nine stonker gurnard most 45 to 50 and a good handful of kahawai. Still have to weigh the carrots but reckon there should be a few pushing 1,3 plus kgπŸ‘.

Not sure of temp as the sounder not working but reckon slightly warmer than last trip out which was 13deg. Another great day on the mighty with good weather, good fishing and great company πŸ˜‰
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Transformations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2022 at 6:46pm
Platinum
Platinum

Trip report for Wednesday 24th

What a day...

First 3 fish were Ky, gurnard and a stonker of a snap that went on a run that looked like it was going to end somewhere around Port Albert😁

Wind came up and we got rained on, rain passed and we were putting on sunscreen, one of those days. Got a few more snaps and Ky...

Call made to move down to the outgoing spot almost cancelled as the navionics would not load, rebooted phone and off we went. Glad we made it there, got into the snaps which just got bigger and bigger

At the end we were just having fun in 2m of water, strong current and light gear

Bin full with 12 snaps, 3 carrots and a handful of kahawai

Catch board with sizes and weights

Found gurnard had fair bit of roe and snaps been feeding at the crab shack πŸ˜‰

Best trip on the Kaipara to date, great company and loads of fun. Heads, frames and fillets shared out with many families that would never be able to get fish like this themselves πŸ‘
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GregS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2022 at 9:37pm
GregS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Awsome report Transformations, appreciate all the detail and photos. That haul is up there, one of those special days that make up for the slow ones.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Transformations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2022 at 3:48pm
Platinum
Platinum

Fri 02 Sept.....

Snap!

Snap!

Snap!

Kept 9 snaps (45 to 60), 5 carrots (all around 45cm and over)and good kahawai πŸ‘. No undersize caught. Great day out....againπŸ˜‰

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote slayliner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2022 at 8:54am
slayliner View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nice one
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2022 at 6:02pm
yknot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Does anyone know if there are cameras at Shelly Beach, and if so who to contact.

Was out the other Tuesday and some low life helped themselves to one of my brake calipers.

Pretty dark having to replace caliper due to this!!

OH, we got a few snap, and the fish had spawned.
Those that say it can't be done are being overtaken by those doing it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ginjatom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2022 at 1:01pm
Ginjatom View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

i don't think there is any cameras, but cafe would be worth a call. We put in about
6.45 and back around 1pm. didn't notice anything suspicious
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2022 at 3:48pm
yknot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Cheers
Those that say it can't be done are being overtaken by those doing it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Griff the dog. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2024 at 3:56pm
Griff the dog. View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Shore fishing around the kaipara is good at the moment 
Mate went to the secret spot just before Tinopia Saturday afternoon and got half a dozen snapper around 8 to 10lb.

Page  <1 30313233>