kaipara reports

Page  <1 2930313233>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 5:10pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

For a variety of reasons have not been out on the Kaipara for 6 or 7 weeks.

Up until then the fishing had been full on but with one trip that could only be described as complete bummer ... also normal fishing spots generally were not producing at all.

We are going out Thursday & according to reports here the action has been fairly rewarding,

Never thought I would feel the need to do this ... but ... any advice appreciated as to current favoured water depths etc. etc.
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TommyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 8:32am
TommyT View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Morning chaps

I'm heading up to stay with a mate up Mangatoroto waytomorrow and wondered if anyone could give me a few tips about the best place to launch.  It looks like Batleys is the closets Beach/Ramp to his place so wondering what thats like a low tide?

Any tips greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Tom
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 9:42am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

In weekend was good just after low tide in the confined drain channels, mid tide was hard then at full found good fish up on flats in 2-3m. My mate got better size on bait but i was using fly and we got a good mix of pannies snaps, mackeral and kahawaii
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Big Weta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 7:11pm
Big Weta View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Tom,
Batley is fine at low tide. Pahi is ok too & a bit closer depending on where you'll be based. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote terrafish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 8:29pm
terrafish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

watch pahi at low. drops off real quick. step it out first to find the drop off, better than bottoming out the trailer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2020 at 9:25am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Wow ... was really stinking hot out there on Thursday & water temps at a point where fish caught were almost par boiled.

Combined with the highest / lowest tide levels I have ever seen maybe 150 mm lower than the dropoff at steep end of the Mungakura ramp at low combined with a heavy layer of slippery mud meant delaying launching for an hour or two & even so was with much trepidation for fear of launching the wagon along with the boat.

Finally did so & I suspect more by luck than anything else succeeded in navigating the way out without mishap in time to collect a pail of oysters. Started fishing soon after but with the ultra king tides found
anchoring anywhere in or near the channels akin to fishing Huka falls as was near impossible to get line to the bottom even with a relatively heavy sinker. When the fish did start to bite was mostly small snapper & was not until the tide started to slow down towards the change that we scored decent size fish with one going probably 600 mm plus & was fat as.

Having endured the heat was left feeling a tad lethargic for quite some time afterwards ... nevertheless part of the price we fishos pay towards our sole objective of providing fresh food for the table, a dedication our womenfolk so often fail to appreciate or even acknowledge !

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Transformations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2020 at 9:46am
Transformations View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well done for your dedication to your duty👍. The sweat from your brow should surely suffice and the missus should consider the fare for the table as an added bonus on top of your hard work...😁

You are right about the heat and the current ☹️, I have been fishing the flats on the incoming and found it quite fun and productive. Been able to strayline with minimal or no weight and had fish and Ray's flying around the boat.

Hope you enjoyed your parboiled oysters...
We don't know what we don't need till we've got it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2020 at 11:29am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by Transformations Transformations wrote:

Well done for your dedication to your duty👍. The sweat from your brow should surely suffice and the missus should consider the fare for the table as an added bonus on top of your hard work...😁

You are right about the heat and the current ☹️, I have been fishing the flats on the incoming and found it quite fun and productive. Been able to strayline with minimal or no weight and had fish and Ray's flying around the boat.ed

Hope you enjoyed your parboiled oysters...

Fortunately Shaun the oysters are unaffected & even seem to be enhanced by using a procedure I have devised over the years namely:-

Harvest selected specimens into a 20 ltr pail covering with sea water, then rock about to remove excess mud then drain repeating several times finally leaving covered & the boat movement once underway will further the cleaning.

Back home leave them immersed for a day or two to keep them alive.

Next step is to tip them out & water blast for a final clean but is essential they are still alive so as they remain clamped tightly shut so as to prevent any egress of freshwater which is a definitely a no no.

Return them to the empty pail once more storing somewhere cool for a  day or two for them to feed on retained water which seems to fatten them at the same time reducing any excess saline taste in favour of increasing structure & creaminess.  

Next transfer to freezer ( in the pail if you so wish) still in the shell which provides a ready made individual sealed package for the oysters.

Once frozen they can be removed however many you want then spread out on newspaper to thaw for about an hour or so.

At this stage the will be relatively easy to open mess free using the sharp point of a paring knife & twisting it back & forth on the join of the shell. 

Occasionally there will be one or two reluctant to open but this can be overcome by trying elsewhere on the join.

Unsure if it is a fact or not but there are some that maintain they are still alive once thawed & when fully re aroused simply yawn & exclaim "Gee ... that was a bloody cold night !!"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Transformations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2020 at 11:47am
Platinum
Platinum

Jeez Bazza, you really put a lot of effort into caring and preserving your harvest. Long may you enjoy them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2020 at 12:57pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Jeez Bazza, you really put a lot of effort into caring and preserving your harvest. Long may you enjoy them.

Not a lot of work Shaun even if it sounds like it but in actual fact is simply a procedure that imo gives the ultimate results however some steps can be left out if time or circumstances don't suit, such as the water blasting or cleaning ... just means the shells might not be as clean but the meat inside will still be fine.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote TommyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2020 at 2:25pm
TommyT View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Managed to get out there last Friday for the first fish since lock down.  Made an early start arriving at Shelly Beach around 5:40 and there were  a half dozen super keen fishos already on the water.  With the tide just on the turn we started off with a slow drift down the harbour trying out a variety of soft plastic but after half hour of no interest (no patience either) we decided to head down to near the Concrete Marker and set up a burly trail. 

I threw out a strayline with a nice chunk of Kahawai on and set to putting out the pot.  Just finished tying it off when my line screamed out  Nice fat snapper at 48 cm.
Just landed that and off went my mates rod.  Another little fatty at at just under 40cm.
A couple of Kahawai and then another Snap of 52cm plus a couple others in the high 30's and a gurnard.

With a decent feed on board and the day still young we decided to do what we had always talked about and do a bit of prospecting and snooping about for future reference.We had talked to a mate that regularly fishes the Tapora side so we headed up the channel and with still only being about half tide we thought we would cruise across the shallows to save a bit of time.  It was still glassy calm and just as we got even with the Green Pole I noticed a bit of splashing in the water.  Quick U-Turn and bugger me if it wasn't a Gurnard around 45cm swimming along upside down.  He was clearly lost so being decent sort of chaps we gave him a lift.  There appeared to no hook mark in him but i did notice when I filleted the fish that one of the gurnard had white flesh similar to what you get with the occasional snapper.  I don't know for sure if it was from that fish but seemed a bit odd to be swimming around upside down.  Anyway wasn't a problem for me as I slipped those fillets into my mates bag.

After picking up our little friend we turned into the shallows to make our way across.  We came across a couple of small channels and one that looks very promising that dropped down to 8 mtrs.  Quite a large area so we will be looking to pay that a visit in the near future.
Once we got over to Tapora we anchored up and dispensed the Burly again to fish over the change of tide.  A few decent runs and grabs but we only picked up one other snapper here as we were plagued by Kahawai of which we kept a couple more for the smoker.  Spent a bit more time looking around over that side and found a couple more likely spots before deciding the tide had come in far enough to head back across the shallows.  Well apparently it hadn't but after giving the bottom a wee clean it was easy enough to push the little Stabi 509 into some deeper water and carry on.

We then had a little slider session in the deep western channel and picked up a few more Kahawai which we put back but only one extra snapper.  No more surface Gurnard to be had either.

With the tide now running well we headed back to our morning spot to try for a few more Gurnard.  Managed another few snapper and 4 nice carrots to end the day.
Nice 10 min cruise back to the ramp to finish with a cold one at the cafe.

Final tally 12 snapper, 6 gurnard, 5 kahawai and what else but two coronas. All in all a great day out on the water and really made me appreciate what a great fishery the Kaipara is. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Transformations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2020 at 5:16pm
Platinum
Platinum

TT, sounds like you are making the most of your time learning the harbour. Good effort, good catch, good report. It is magical aye😉

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TommyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 11:28am
TommyT View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

TT, sounds like you are making the most of your time learning the harbour. Good effort, good catch, good report. It is magical aye😉

Cheers Mate

It certainly is.  It's only been a year since I started fishing it so there's still plenty to learn.  I have always been an East Coast fisho mainly because of the size of my last boat for launch and retrieve.  Now I've got the little Stabi we've been all the place.

Heading up there again tomorrow.  Got to make the most of this weather window.  Might see you up there. I'm in a little Dark Blue Stabi 509 called Rawhide.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Transformations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2020 at 6:14pm
Platinum
Platinum

Hey Tommy, how did it go? I hit the Manukau on Friday...nice day but I think I should have done the Kaipara...missing the place.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Boz19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 1:48pm
Boz19 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Was out of the Hoteo on Saturday and the snapper fishing was really good
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Transformations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 7:03pm
Platinum
Platinum

Awesome, awesome, awesome. The Kaipara really turned it on today, so surreal ,gliding through the mist to anchor up with visibility only about casting distance.

Got some nice carrots upstream of Shelly and at turn of tide went shallow opposite the concrete marker....started at about 0,8m and burleyed up. Carrots first, then ky and not long before the snapper turned up. First one did a jump at the surface 15m behind the boat just like a ky when I hooked up . Only fished the first 3 hrs of incoming and left the fish still hot on the bite. Gurnard all around the 40 to 45 mark and snaps around 40 to low 50's. Did not catch any undersize fish and put quite a few around the 35 mark back and one gurnard that looked small compared to the others but still legal.

Fog burned of just before home time to give me a clear run home

Did I mention it was awesome

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mad Spearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 6:38am
Mad Spearo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Has anyone been out recently? Thinking about giving it a go this month
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Michael35338 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 7:23am
Michael35338 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Went out on Friday.
Just up from shellys in 5 mtrs. Fished 2 hours before low and 2 hours after.
All caught on mullet.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mad Spearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 7:52am
Mad Spearo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Wow. Great stuff
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Transformations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 3:54pm
Platinum
Platinum

Another good trip out yesterday, planned to do the long run down to the Kakarai flats area to my (so far) no fail snapper spot. Lines down just after 8am and first half hour not a touch and was wondering if I had made a Clarkup by running past all the gurnard to target snaps

Did some ground baiting with cubed pillies (no burley bag out here...see Great white thread ), missed a good bite on a whole straylined pillie...damn. another 20 mins goes by and

....at last. Not bad for first fish of the day . Grabbed the flask for a celebratory tea and got to have one sip. The next hour was mayhem, couple of times I had 2 fish on at the same time. Put a good few back 35 to 40cm, didn't catch anything smaller than that. By 10.30 I had limit of fat snaps 42 to 55cm

Stopped off in the shallows on the way back to snag a few carrots and a brace of kahawai to vac pak for bait

Again no undersize fish all day and most important...no sharks👍

Page  <1 2930313233>