kaipara reports

Page  <1 2829303132 33>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Transformations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 7:32pm
Transformations View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

BAZZA....I THINK IT'S ENRICO !!!

TR Tues 19th

Stunning conditions, lots of smaller snaps around but pleased to say ALL fish caught were above legal size. Kept trying different tricks and final verdict was big baits small fish. Best result was a small longline flasher hook with small cubes of ky or jackmac straylined with no weight or very little. Only had one shark which was very well behaved and spat the hook a couple of meters from the boat. Did not use burley as I have heard a few too many reports of big sharks cruising around grabbing pots and bags and as I'm in a soft bottom inflatable I'd rather not tempt fatešŸ˜²

Fish in good condition with a number of lovebites across their shoulders. Kept limit with sizes from around 35 to 50cm. Two other guys went over to the mussel beds and they seemed to have the same results. Small amount of red weed but not enough to be an issue. Water a bit murky but not too bad.

So, Kaipara not broke.....musta been EnricošŸ¤”

PS, fish were on the bite from when I got there till I left even right through the bottom of the tide.
We don't know what we don't need till we've got it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 9:59am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Sounds like you had a reasonably productive day Shaun ... where did you launch from ?

Last couple of trips for us have been out in the gulf & altho we caught our limit both times for every keeper were bringing aboard two or more sub legal which begs the question of how many of them survive after being put back ... certainly those the opportunist coromants gulp down certainly don't. Come to think about it, cannot recall seeing any coromants on the Kaipara or for that matter sea birds in general other than wading birds.

By the way did you receive the pm I sent re oysters ? 
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Transformations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 6:15pm
Platinum
Platinum

Hey Bazza, it was worth taking a chance. Great not to have to wade through the goldfish to get a keeper. I launched Shelly beach...spot I fish is a gut up on the shallow banks kinda north east of the green marker. Did not get the pm, or at least no notification of one. I'll check and see.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2019 at 10:29am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by Transformations Transformations wrote:

Hey Bazza, it was worth taking a chance. Great not to have to wade through the goldfish to get a keeper. I launched Shelly beach...spot I fish is a gut up on the shallow banks kinda north east of the green marker. Did not get the pm, or at least no notification of one. I'll check and see.

Hi Shaun .... PM sent re possible trip out this coming week.

Cheers Barry
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2020 at 8:57am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Over a month now since the last post to this thread ... anyone able to give an update or two ?

Due to a minor potential problem with my motor it is awhile since I have been out on the Kaipara however on the trips out then was finding the results uncharacteristically ( for the Kaipara ) inconsistent to the extent could have a boomer then a week later a disappointing
catch.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nzfishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2020 at 12:01pm
nzfishwhisperer View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

We've had a couple good weeks up the Harbour - lots of small fish about now but you can still find some goodies - did a sesh the other day Softbaits verse bait and Skute won the day for size. On the drift with bait and softbaits bait out did the softies.

Water temp if I rem correctly was around 23deg so the small fish are in. Did better around the middle ground with a few fat carrots, nice snaps and a nice Trev.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote otdrmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2020 at 7:46pm
otdrmn View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I can also report the following from burley cam - taken 01/01/2020

The 4 R's ~ Rods, Reels, Rifles, Rooting
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2020 at 8:20pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thats brilliant Graeme, I have heard of kingies following rays to dine on their excrement... something to do with a crab and mollusc diet
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2020 at 7:21am
Sanchez View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Burley cam is great. It's surprising to see snapper amongst little sharks like that. What depth is this ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote otdrmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2020 at 12:20pm
otdrmn View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

8m
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote otdrmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 5:40pm
otdrmn View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

some more burley cam footage and fun launching on a low tide at the local
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jiggy Jig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 2:23pm
Jiggy Jig View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Great footage! Thanks for sharing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jiggy Jig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 2:29pm
Jiggy Jig View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by otdrmn otdrmn wrote:

some more burley cam footage and fun launching on a low tide at the local

Where was that? Shelly's Beach? And I thought Port Albert was bad for mud!! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jiggy Jig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 2:33pm
Jiggy Jig View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Any reports on the graveyard? Thinking about a mish in the next few days, maybe even tomorrow.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 4:54pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

im going tomorrow - will post report

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Transformations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2020 at 8:42pm
Platinum
Platinum

Awesome day out there today . Had a bit of a dilemma as I wanted to do an early launch to catch the change but with a fairly big low just before 5 it would be a risky launch for my rig in the real soft stuff at the end of the ramp. Solution? No problem, launch at 3am .

Was well worth it, not only did I get the pick of the parking but got treated to a light show of epic proportions. Never seen luminescence like that before, every movement in the water looked like a drop of molten metal on a sheet of black and the mullet were in full flight...amazing.

Fishing was ok in the few hours before sunup and got a few in the bin. Once the tide started pushing I hit a shallow spot and got a bit of burley going. Some nice fish around, got busted off twice before I increased trace size and backed drags off. Put a sabiki just under the boat in the burley and was really surprised to get mullet on it. These little buggers are notoriously hard to get on a hook but today they came in thick and fast and are deadly snapper bait. Lasted a while till a shark came and chased everyone away

Ended with a bin of good fat harbour snaps, kept sizes from around 40 to just shy of 60cm... even got one with a tag in him, will be interesting to find out where it came from and how quickly it has grown. All in all an awesome day and thanks to the fishing gods for providing for us once again

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote otdrmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2020 at 6:25am
otdrmn View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Sweet - can you post the tag number here as it may be one Ive tagged.
Cheers G
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Transformations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2020 at 4:53pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by otdrmn otdrmn wrote:

Sweet - can you post the tag number here as it may be one Ive tagged.
Cheers G

Hey G, tag 0582. Fish was 52cm and 2,55kg. Was this one of yours?

Cheers, Shaun.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote otdrmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2020 at 7:31pm
otdrmn View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nup not one of mine might me one of Scott Tindale's - if you ring the number he will be able to tell you.
Awesome work

G
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote thebakerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 5:38am
thebakerman View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Good to see a tagged fish. In 20 years where my mates and I have caught literally hundreds of snapper between us, I've only seen 1 with a tag. 

A few years ago I talked to a commercial guy who was tagging for MAF. He said he'd tagged 2,000 fish the previous night and had a contract to tag 20,000 in total. Speaks volumes for the total population of snapper that so few tagged fish are actually caught.
Page  <1 2829303132 33>