kaipara reports

Page  <1 2728293031 33>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Transformations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 10:41am
Transformations View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Still got a few to go to catch up with you Crowbar. I have tried that area with and without Burley and have not seen a difference in catch rates or sizes really.

Brew, I usually fish the banks on the incoming but have tried the outgoing on smaller tides and seems just as good๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘
We don't know what we don't need till we've got it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Roofless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 1:50pm
Roofless View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by crowbar crowbar wrote:

Yes we have fished that area for fifty years and it has always supplied nice fish but the first time with seven gill sharks.
Maybe wrong burley

In the spot i fish you get rays and seven gill sharks when the tide slows down and at slack no problems when tides running and im not fishing in the big currenty areas only using very small sinkers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Roofless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 1:55pm
Roofless View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by brew brew wrote:

Hi there... are you guys finding any difference between the incoming and outgoing tides?
Cheers

No not really not the spot i fish as long as the tide is moving , but i do prefer the first 3 hours of the incoming for the bigger fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote crowbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 3:04pm
crowbar View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

We have fished both in coming and out going probably prefer the big tides down to the bottom of the tide -0.1 so if the snapper are about they have come into the gut I am in
Never stop learning
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 8:35pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by brew brew wrote:

Hi there... are you guys finding any difference between the incoming and outgoing tides?
Cheers

Absolutely inasmuch as plenty of hook-ups on the outgoing & even some on slack tide but as mentioned previously once the incoming gathers momentum the weed problem becomes really acute to the point of rendering any continuance fishing pretty well pointless.

Has me beat as to why the weed is only a problem on the incoming yet
totally absent on the outgoing.

Have tried moving to where there is no weed but get no bites !

Weird !!

When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 5:55am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Friday Oct 11th.

Buddy over from Aus so have planned a trip out this morning despite rain forecast until about 10am hpwever wind at about 5 knts is a bonus.

Can't last forever but hoping today will be as productive as it has proven to be of late.

Watch this space for report be it good or bad. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 6:46am
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good luck Baz! Mate of mine who mainly Kayak fishes off Muruwai, went Kaipara two weekends ago due to rough out west and caught estirmated 20 lb Snap and released it in five metres of water.Beer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TommyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 10:34am
TommyT View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Out here now Baz. Perfect weather half doz snapper on board and a couple of gurnard. Good luck
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 6:32pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by bazza bazza wrote:

Weather was good ..... score was :-
Snapper           x 18
Big gurnard      x 1
KY                   x 2
Rays                x 2
Against           = berley pot lost to huge shark
Friday Oct 11th.

Buddy over from Aus so have planned a trip out this morning despite rain forecast until about 10am hpwever wind at about 5 knts is a bonus.

Can't last forever but hoping today will be as productive as it has proven to be of late.

Watch this space for report be it good or bad. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 8:48am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by TommyT TommyT wrote:

Out here now Baz. Perfect weather half doz snapper on board and a couple of gurnard. Good luck

How did your day finish Tom ?

Presume you launched from Shelly. Seem to remember you expressing interest in leaving from the other side & if so would be happy to show you the way out plus a couple of spots. Best warn you tho the area producing very few gurnard, mainly snapper albeit mostly a good size & in great condition. Also probably not a suitable area to go swimming as when in 4 1/2 mtrs of water on Friday had something huge, probably a great white rip open the mesh of our burley cage to scoff the contents & did so a second time after improvising a patch up. Shortly after hooked up to something impossible to hold that appeared intent on returning to Aus ... probably a great white but thankfully sliced thru the leader with only a few turns on line left on the spool.

Pm me if still interested in a trip out from the Eastern side which would need to be after my return from a week away in the motor home fly fishing leaving tomorrow as their eldest customers wife has been asked to cut the ribbon for the opening for of the new Albany BNZ in the Albany mall tomorrow.

Cheers Barry alias Bazza
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TommyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2019 at 2:15pm
TommyT View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Sorry for the late reply Baz completely missed your post.

The day finished well.  Took home 14 Snapper (forgot we could take 20) but that was plenty anyway.  All of good size over 40cm and biggest just over 60.  3 really nice gurnard as well.  Mr Muchie paid us a visit as well but luckily didn't hang around or cause us to much grief.  We were a couple of K's Nth east of the green pole in about 8mtrs.  No weed at all there must all float down your side. Thanks for the invite. Yep I'd be very keen to come out sometime. Prob not going to have time this side of xmas but will be in touch early in the NY for sure.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2019 at 10:10pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by TommyT TommyT wrote:

Sorry for the late reply Baz completely missed your post.

The day finished well.  Took home 14 Snapper (forgot we could take 20) but that was plenty anyway.  All of good size over 40cm and biggest just over 60.  3 really nice gurnard as well.  Mr Muchie paid us a visit as well but luckily didn't hang around or cause us to much grief.  We were a couple of K's Nth east of the green pole in about 8mtrs.  No weed at all there must all float down your side. Thanks for the invite. Yep I'd be very keen to come out sometime. Prob not going to have time this side of xmas but will be in touch early in the NY for sure.

Pleased to hear that you did well ... long may it last.

Fly fishing trip went well but has been extremely windy since arriving back making a trip out on the briney less than appealing.

However the weather is starting to look a lot better so am looking forward to a trip out Sunday with Enrico a young visiting Italian angler who is a keen fly fisher but has never been salt water fishing from a boat before so can but hope we continue to have it as good as it has been of late.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2019 at 5:07pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Well the fantastic fishing of late on the Kaipara was bound to end but what could not be expected, like most things to do with this mighty fishing ground is that it would be so dramatic.

Set off at "sparrows fart" having had zero sleep having watched the RWC final then all the celebration, presentations & sequels etc. so was feeling rather tired however comfortable in the knowledge that the expected full on productive days' fishing would make it all worthwhile.

The first likely negative aspect was how dirty the water was even tho we have had no rain for several days so concluded it must have been due the windy conditions of late stirring up the shallow mud banks ...
never mind ... the Kaipara still produces under such conditions .. right?

Usual spot did not produce any hook ups only a few half hearted bites so went ashore to collect a couple of 20 ltr pails of oysters that were particularly big fat & juicy ... so now all that remains was to score a haul of snapper.

Moved about all over the place for a total of five fish only one of which was considered edible ... namely a nice sized rig. I was really
embarrassed & disappointed for the young Italian visitor aboard especially having promised a meal of freshly caught fish for dinner,
despite the fact he seemed more than happy having had a prolonged fight from a shark & a ray.

Mid arvo feeling ultra tired from over 30 hrs of sleep deprivation & abysmal fishing decided to call it a day to go home with nary a snapper something I cannot recall ever happening before ... a tiring drive home with the passenger nodding off & the driver hoping not to do likewise.

Or guest appeared well pleased with his meal of a dozen or so fresh oysters & panko coated rig that evening so could but be thankful as he was not aware of what freshly caught NZ snapper was like he had no idea what he was missing.

Hmn ... guess most fishos have days like that but why do they have to be at a time when it is important to catch ... almost in inverse proportion it would seem.

Looks like a Wednesday redemptive mission on the gulf is called for but if that proves to be equally as fruitless will definitely conclude that Enrico is a jinx !! 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Transformations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2019 at 9:52pm
Platinum
Platinum

Shame you could not show it of to its full potential, still just an awesome place to just be๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ‘

Am/was going to hit the Kaipara tomorrow but now not so sure. Anyone with more info? As I can go east or west what would anyone suggest.....damn, decisions decisions.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TommyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 8:06am
TommyT View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Guys,

There have been massive workups just Nth of Rangitoto and Rakino for the last few days.  Go get em.

Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 3:55pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by Transformations Transformations wrote:

Shame you could not show it of to its full potential, still just an awesome place to just be๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ‘

Am/was going to hit the Kaipara tomorrow but now not so sure. Anyone with more info? As I can go east or west what would anyone suggest.....damn, decisions decisions.

Where did you finally decide to go & how did you get on ?

Been thinking what may be the reason that Sunday was so abysmal
maybe was due to spawning as is that time of year & there was plenty of sign on the sounder but almost 100% mid water or thereabouts.

In any event intend giving the gulf a shot tomorrow as can hardly be any worse than the Kaipara was for us on Sunday !

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Transformations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 8:48pm
Platinum
Platinum

Hi Bazza, did exactly what Tommy suggested. North of Rakino/Noises in around 33m. Fairley slow day....well, compared to the Kaipara at least. I got a respectable limit snaps kept from 40 to 52. Lures produced only small fish, best results were with straylined big baits with no weight and best fish were picking it up half water

Seems the workups were not on the menu today but still saw lots of bait on the sounder. Water is a tad over 16 deg...all the bigger snaps are fat and deep red. Good looking fish.

Still curious as to whether the Kaipara has shut down or if its just Enrico๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜„

Looks like a beaut day tomorrow, tight lines and enjoy.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2019 at 8:37pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Hi Bazza, did exactly what Tommy suggested. North of Rakino/Noises in around 33m. Fairley slow day....well, compared to the Kaipara at least. I got a respectable limit snaps kept from 40 to 52. Lures produced only small fish, best results were with straylined big baits with no weight and best fish were picking it up half water

Seems the workups were not on the menu today but still saw lots of bait on the sounder. Water is a tad over 16 deg...all the bigger snaps are fat and deep red. Good looking fish.

Still curious as to whether the Kaipara has shut down or if its just Enrico๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜„

Looks like a beaut day tomorrow, tight lines and enjoy.

Yes Shaun must confess that I was beginning to question Enricos' rating on the "jinx" scoreboard as well ... particularly after the first hour fishing yesterday had only produced the dreaded hordes of sub legal snaps. Moving further out into deeper water produced a small number of take-ables amongst the mini's but as low water was imminent decided to spend a bit of time ashore on Tiri.

After change of tide much of the same but did reach our limit of reasonably respectable snaps plus an OS gurnard.

At "half time" Enrico was well down on the scoreboard until in a
flash of compassion I rigged him up with one of Uncles' legers & that really turned the game in his favour.

Where to now????????? The Kaipara last time out was near enough to hopeless snapper wise last Sunday & the ratio of tiny Tim's on the gulf seem to be just as chronic as they were when in frustration opted to fish the Kaipara enjoying the difference & don't recall anything under 35 cm. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Transformations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2019 at 7:43pm
Platinum
Platinum

Where to now indeed Bazza?

As I am relatively new to the Kaipara I am inclined to persist with it. I still have so much exploring to do and really enjoy the wildness and solitude it can bring and as you pointed out the ratio of tiddlers can be seriously off putting on the gulf.

When a spot on the Kaipara fires you know its going to be good. I am going to work on the principle that the fish will be hanging in the deep to do their spawning but will come into the shallows for a feed on things that dont swim fast. Next weather/work gap I'm going to test that out๐Ÿ˜‰. Also keen to get some oysters... any on the southern side you know of?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2019 at 9:11pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Where to now indeed Bazza?

As I am relatively new to the Kaipara I am inclined to persist with it. I still have so much exploring to do and really enjoy the wildness and solitude it can bring and as you pointed out the ratio of tiddlers can be seriously off putting on the gulf.

When a spot on the Kaipara fires you know its going to be good. I am going to work on the principle that the fish will be hanging in the deep to do their spawning but will come into the shallows for a feed on things that dont swim fast. Next weather/work gap I'm going to test that out๐Ÿ˜‰. Also keen to get some oysters... any on the southern side you know of?

Helensville fish shop probably a good place as any.

Joking aside have never tried for oysters on the southern side so sorry cannot help specifically other than to say they are fairly widespread so should be no reason there wouldn't be.

If you go ashore to collect some best to avoid a falling tide otherwise can find your boat is high & dry for several hours.

Will pm.
Page  <1 2728293031 33>