kaipara reports

Page  <1 2526272829 33>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2019 at 9:34am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by Mad Spearo Mad Spearo wrote:

Thanks! My other question is wind and swell. I guess swell would be fairly negligible I'm the harbour would it unless the wind is up? And what wind is worth avoiding? Eg this Friday it looks like SW10-12 knots. Is that a good, ok or bad day on the kaipara? Or should I go east coast?

As with most harbours & lakes a sharp nasty chop is far more of a concern than a swell, particularly somewhere like the Kaipara that is largely comprised of shallow banks & in places fast currents particularly if the wind is against the tide.

Because of its' size & shape it is difficult to specify what wind force or direction is likely to affect areas in general but as initial reference re launching from Mungakura then can usually expect to be afforded a certain amount of shelter off the land in an easterly or maybe even a northerly but might be quite the opposite for the opposite side of the harbour.  

We were out on Friday when 12 knt winds were forecast but
enjoyed glasslike sunny conditions deciding to call it a day when the sky looked as if it might close in affecting visibility however it did not but we were to discover the late arvo glare almost was almost equally as challenging ....... never stop learning on the Kaipara.

My advice would be for the meantime go out from Shelley beach if you are familiar with the area until you can join up with someone reasonably conversant with the Hoteo side & the possible pitfalls.

If you care to wait until we are back from Samoa at the end of August would be happy to do so ... might even be able to give a practical demo of what NOT to do.
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mad Spearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2019 at 11:48am
Mad Spearo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks Bazza, what a legend
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Saltwater addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2019 at 6:32pm
Saltwater addict View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

If the wind is coming from the west would suggest fishing the incoming as its wind with tide. The outgoing tide with a westerly isn't very nice depending on wind speed and tide size. Also if there is a decent swell on the coast it comes straight up the tauhoa channel on the incoming tide which is more noticable the further down you go nothing massive but you notice it kn a flat day. What size boat have you got?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mad Spearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 8:22am
Silver
Silver

17 ft fibreglass
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mad Spearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 4:00pm
Silver
Silver

You guys have been helpful as. Any advice on where to get some gurnard on fri? Launching from Shelley beach at dawn.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TommyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 4:18pm
TommyT View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I'm a novice on the Kaipara just like you so we tried the concrete marker about a 10 min run north of Shelly Beach.  We've done ok so far just fishing on the edge of the channel in about 7-8 mtrs.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 5:54pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Work channel edges, basic formula.
Yes there are sweet spots.
Fishing requires miles of effort and no spot x is a guarantee.

Burley, timing.

And if you want spot x, read more posts of the past.
The gems there are gold.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Saltwater addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 5:16pm
Bronze
Bronze

Shot out for the high tide was pretty slow but got some nice snaps upto 62cm and a couple gurnard. Plenty of kahawai
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 10:54am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

In your usual spot or the near proximity I presume Russell ?

Any particular reason for fishing the high tide & do you prefer rising or falling.

As you know we did fairly well there on the last of the rise last Friday with the biggest snap taken at slack water which in my experience is fairly unusual.

Hung around for the action to resume once the tide changed but were plagued by curly wig like weed of a type I have never seen before so eventually had to give it away after nary a bite. Even tried drifting assuming that if going in the same direction & similar speed as the clumps of weed would minimise the problem however was not to be with clumps of weed catching up almost the moment the line hit the bottom or even on the way down so opted to go ashore for a couple of buckets of oysters each, which is always a productive exercise regardless.

Found it interesting that the fish that caught were not only fat, sizeable & a lovely colour but had "bumps" forming on their heads like Aussie snaps ... maybe they were having come across for the rugby tonight !

If so, can but hope their trip is wasted.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Saltwater addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 12:18pm
Bronze
Bronze

I don't really have a tidal preference I will fish whichever tide is more suitable with wind etc. I was fishing on that same side just up a couple of kilometers. To try and escape the weed I did get it intermittently close to high tide and a sprinkle as the started going out but I don't think it was as bad as what you had experienced. I had tried over by the old man's nose but got heaps of weed straight away so left. I usually find that I get the majority of my big fish around the slack tide especially if fishing abit deeper
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mad Spearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 3:42pm
Silver
Silver

Wish I'd been at that spot above! We got 5 gurnard near the green marker between 8.30-10am then the bite died off
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 9:21am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Anyone know what the weed situation is currently ?

The last time we were out about 3 weeks ago it was not evident towards the end of the falling tide with the bite action correspondingly
rewarding.

Were expecting once the tide changed to incoming that the action would resume, however the hitherto absent weed problem began to grow rapidly until it was building up even before the lines hit bottom making the fishing virtually near impossible.

Before going out again would prefer to know if the weed is currently causing problems.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote otdrmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 9:31am
otdrmn View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

It was ****e yesterday - usually happens on the BIG tides
The 4 R's ~ Rods, Reels, Rifles, Rooting
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote nzfishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 4:14pm
nzfishwhisperer View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

No weed problems for me Sat but I stay away from the main channels - got a few West coast pannies to.....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TommyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 4:21pm
TommyT View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Awesome fish mate.

Just started fishing the Kiapara a couple of months ago and I seem to able to get plenty of Gurnard but I'm still searching for that first Snapper.

Just have to keep trying I suppose-- what else is there to doThumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Roofless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 7:07pm
Roofless View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

No problems today with weed and the carrots and snapper were hungry as
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Roofless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 2:25am
Roofless View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Seen a weather window monday so I thought id better jump at the chance to go fish the shallows for snapper, dropped the boat in at shelly beach on hightide with no one else there i headed up to my spot and didn't have to wait long before they started smashing my baits some good quality fish around ,went prepared for rain and ended up getting sunburnt another mint day on the kaipara.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 3:59am
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great Harbour Fish'n there Roofless! Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 9:08am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Yep we had an ultra productive day as well with mainly OS fish after launching from Mungakura.

Weather was good & relatively calm conditions until mid arvo when the
approaching clouds turned black bringing heavy rain with extreme lightning & thunder ... a bit scary in fact so made a dash back to the ramp.

Have a couple of pics but my problem posting them has returned so wondering if anyone here willing to post on my behalf if I was to e-mail
one or two ... if so please pm your e-mail address.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Roofless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 12:49am
Roofless View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Posting on behalf of bazza

Nice catch bazza
Page  <1 2526272829 33>