kaipara reports

Page  <1 2223242526 33>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2019 at 8:43am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes - strange this thread shouldn't be popular as lots of people fishing up there and fishing has been exceptional. We have been doing very well in summer months fly fi
shing the shallow for snapper mostly but a few trevally , mackeral etc.
Gurnard should already be there in bits and bobs but bigger numbers when water cools in june july august sort of thing.
Snapper thin out but you still catch them and can get a bonus biggie too.
kahawaii numbers will increase markedly too as winter approaches.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sappercatcha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2019 at 11:50am
sappercatcha View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Been out close to home a couple of times in the last week the fishing has gone dead down south of Shelly Beach so id say the fish have started moving out snapper that is
I find there’s always a few weeks of slow fishing between now ish and mid May then bring on the carrots
I hear Further up is still fishing well and the charters have been doing well
but the weather hasn’t been nice enough for me to want to go up there in my open tinny the last week or so
As soon as I get i nice day ill be heading for a run up the harbour to spot x
But of late last month there has been no need plenty of fish 450-600 within 2k of the ramp
keep up the good work boys
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mad Spearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2019 at 2:53pm
Mad Spearo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Cheers guys, yeah we were up a few km from the first concrete marker from the shelly beach ramp. Was a perfectly flat day - my only experience of the kaipara so far (apart from a windy one on a kayak up a bit further) and it was surreal!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2019 at 9:40pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Mate I fished the Kaipara for many years when I lived out that way. I caught heaps of very large sharks including great whites out there, the harbour is a major breading ground for them. So kayaking on the Kaipara wouldn’t be for me. A few years back there was a white hanging around the Shelley beach ramp, warning signs posted.

Carrots come in after the first big frost, fish the shollows on the left of the concrete marker.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sappercatcha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2019 at 11:25pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Kandrew Kandrew wrote:

Mate I fished the Kaipara for many years when I lived out that way. I caught heaps of very large sharks including great whites out there, the harbour is a major breading ground for them. So kayaking on the Kaipara wouldn’t be for me. A few years back there was a white hanging around the Shelley beach ramp, warning signs posted.

Carrots come in after the first big frost, fish the shollows on the left of the concrete marker.

Yeah kerry
Great whites are still there more than one of them to about 6-7 Resident ones so ive been told and signs are still up at the ramp

Have Accidentally hooked a couple over the years they go nuts like a marko in the Shallow water and have had one come within a meter of jumping in the boat all pob got soaked from the splash wouldn’t of ended well if it landed in the boat

Remember guys if you do hook one of these fantastic animals do your best to release it unharmed these are an endangered Species
And they are an Beautiful fish so don’t Intentionally Injure them
We can’t control what bites our baits but we can look after them as best we can
Remember that the shark is only doing what we are doing (getting a feed) and they have just as much if not more right to be there than us it’s there home
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2019 at 6:56am
the demon View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by sappercatcha sappercatcha wrote:

Originally posted by Kandrew Kandrew wrote:

Yeah kerry
Great whites are still there more than one of them to about 6-7 Resident ones so ive been told and signs are still up at the ramp

Have Accidentally hooked a couple over the years they go nuts like a marko in the Shallow water and have had one come within a meter of jumping in the boat all pob got soaked from the splash wouldn’t of ended well if it landed in the boat

Remember guys if you do hook one of these fantastic animals do your best to release it unharmed these are an endangered Species
And they are an Beautiful fish so don’t Intentionally Injure them
We can’t control what bites our baits but we can look after them as best we can
Remember that the shark is only doing what we are doing (getting a feed) and they have just as much if not more right to be there than us it’s there home

Yip ,one of the late greats on here used to tag them a couple of km from shelly beach .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote otdrmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2019 at 7:01pm
otdrmn View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Someone say great whites :-)

The 4 R's ~ Rods, Reels, Rifles, Rooting
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clifftastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 9:09am
Clifftastic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Fixed it for ya 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 9:59am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That was me and Duncan in my boat - certainly got the attention when looking down and eyeballing that less than a rod tip from us at one stage! Fantastic place the Kaipara.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sappercatcha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 10:46pm
Platinum
Platinum

Was out in autumn Kaipara spot x slaying some big fat autumn panies today plenty of fish upto 550mm most arround 500mm

I did break my rod though
Hooked onto a good heavy snapper fish of the day
Plenty of waight and Put up a good scrap all the way to the boat
The fish saw the boat and took one final run Straight under the boat
I didn’t react quick enough and pop broken abu Veritas and the line snapped at the same time so lost the fish to boot lol

Oh well something to buy from boat show lol
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 12:16pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by sappercatcha sappercatcha wrote:

Was out in autumn Kaipara spot x slaying some big fat autumn panies today plenty of fish upto 550mm most arround 500mm

I did break my rod though
Hooked onto a good heavy snapper fish of the day
Plenty of waight and Put up a good scrap all the way to the boat
The fish saw the boat and took one final run Straight under the boat
I didn’t react quick enough and pop broken abu Veritas and the line snapped at the same time so lost the fish to boot lol

Oh well something to buy from boat show lol

Thanx for that report Darryn as was wondering how the mighty Kaipara was fishing currently so can now go out with a degree of confidence. In fact was supposed to go out today but upon giving the motor a test run found it was reluctant to start combined with the fact was not entirely organised & was feeling rather dozy (even more than normal) from taking sciatica medication caused from pinching a nerve in my back pulling up the anchor last time out ... so decided best to play safe rather than risk any mini disasters.

Have the gurnard returned in any sort of numbers yet ... as note you do not mention having caught any.

Can empathise with having broken your rod as I broke my favourite
fly rod ,,, not from dealing to a fish tho but when climbing over a fence.

Fortunately it was a sage & they come with a lifetime warrantee regardless of how the damage was caused & have found they honour that policy even beyond reasonable expectations, so after having rods repaired on about 4 or 5 occasions ( mostly through stupidity ) consequently am now a firm advocate of sage rods.

Would be good if imo there were more regular Kaipara reports posted on this thread as they tend to be few & far between.
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Boykee2018 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 3:55pm
Boykee2018 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I had a really good first Kaipara trip a couple of weeks back.
Fished the edge of the channel 1km or so north of shelley beach.
Got a 1/2 doz or so of really fat pannies just as the tide started running back out.
The fishing slowed down after that as the tide started ripping through

Looking forward to exploring this harbor more.

Has anyone fished much right out at south head?
Those flats coming out of that channel must hold good fish!

Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2019 at 8:50pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Was a great day out today ... calm as & the fish hungry as with one that even tried to eat me!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sappercatcha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2019 at 11:34pm
Platinum
Platinum

Well done bazza did you break the Cardinal rule and put your fingers in the snappers mouth hahaha

Looks like a good day on the harbour
Heading down to the lakes to try for a trout or two this weekend don’t do it often so should be fun
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sappercatcha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2019 at 11:45pm
Platinum
Platinum

Been thinking next summer when the fish are in and the weather is warm how about an impromptu Kaipara forum competition / get together maybe 6am-2pm then meet back at Shelly Beach for a beer **** talk sesh bbq and Weigh in $10 bucks per fisho money spilt 3 ways 50% 30% 20% 1st 2nd 3rd

More a catch up/meet and greet than a Serious competition but may aswell throw a little one in

How meny of you guys would be keen on that
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 6:54pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

sure we could get something sorted mate - flyfishing section? you will clean up on the bait and softies mate.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sappercatcha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 8:43pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Redfinger Redfinger wrote:

sure we could get something sorted mate - flyfishing section? you will clean up on the bait and softies mate.

Think if the bragging rights you would get if you beat us on fly though
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Transformations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2019 at 10:22am
Transformations View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey Bazza, you mentioned you were going out today on the mighty...let us know how it fishes and especially if there is a lot of fog. Planning to go that way tomorrow so any Intel much appreciated. Tight lines
We don't know what we don't need till we've got it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2019 at 8:14pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by Transformations Transformations wrote:

Hey Bazza, you mentioned you were going out today on the mighty...let us know how it fishes and especially if there is a lot of fog. Planning to go that way tomorrow so any Intel much appreciated. Tight lines

Suffice to say it is well worth a shot ... review in sister thread ... fish close their mouths.

Good luck
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Transformations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2019 at 4:23pm
Transformations View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well worth the effort👍. Early start saw me firing up GPS to find Shelly beach....and that was before I could launch😁. Met up with the Whisperer and Sis at the ramp, good to meet you Jase.

With a close eye on the navionics and sounder the concrete marker found me

Anchored up in 5m just past the marker and first cast saw the baits soaking for about 20mins before the first run, a good fight in the current produced the first and biggest fish of the day...a fat 56cm snap

Down through the bottom and turn of the tide saw another good snap and a KY find a new home on the ice, dropped another nice snap as well. Even though I was out of the channel it was a bit nerve wracking listening to some boats flying around with seriously limited viz. Had a few come through the mist and have to alter course not too far away.

By the time the mists cleared and I had tried a few spots on the eastern side of the channel it had been a looong time since the last bite. Remembering all the info and advice from regular posters on the site I decided to head west and go shallow. Anchored up in around 2,5m and dropped a small burley and some salted pillie cubes. Took a while but seems like it worked a treat.

Had something real big pick me up on the last bait of the day, a small mullet. Had him for about a minute pulling so e serious string before he spat the hook....crushed up mullet and all. I'll be back for ya😉

Some interesting stats for the day. No undersize fish...put back one XO kahawai and one 35cm gurnard. Smallest snap went 44 and up to 56. Almost no small fish even biting or stripping the baits. Instead of being like the proverbial one legged man in the a## kicking contest, it was the anticipation of the next take on the lines because you just knew it would be a good fish.

Thanks again to everyone who posts and shares knowledge and allows those that do not fish an area regularly to feel a bit more like a local and be able to end a day with a good feed in the box and a smile on their face.

We don't know what we don't need till we've got it
Page  <1 2223242526 33>