kaipara reports

Page  <12345 33>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2013 at 9:50pm
Catchit View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Took he boss and the 3 daughters out for a fish this arvo, left at 3-30, back in at 6pm.

Awesomely successful, smallest snapper was 30 cm (swallowed the hook so was history anyways), the rest were 35-40 and there were lots of them..

love this place..

"We gave Sir Peter a knighthood," Mr Key said, "And if we could give him a second one, we would."

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote daz500 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2013 at 10:11pm
daz500 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

well done I should of given you a call ,so she broke that duck,
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillzNS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2013 at 10:27pm
WillzNS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

was out today with a few mates 4.30 till 7.30 in the shallow caught about 37 legals kept 20 snaps biggest at 52cm with a few 45s and the rest over 32
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2013 at 6:50am
Catchit View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by daz500 daz500 wrote:

well done I should of given you a call ,so she broke that duck,

yea, she caught the most and biggest. I spent most of the time unhooking and untangling...

good day though, taught the oldest how to fillet/bone which might come in handy later..Tongue
"We gave Sir Peter a knighthood," Mr Key said, "And if we could give him a second one, we would."

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote daz500 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2013 at 9:37pm
daz500 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

shot out on sat grabbed a limit of fat scollies then went down & started throwing a few poppers and stick baits around on a patch of rough down the harbour after a few rats and a bigger one trying to eat a ky I had hooked I decided to go throw a few softies around picked up some nice fish around a kilo + ,

today grabbed a bag of scollies then managed a couple of kings around 10kg before 7 30 so off to find some snaps and binned a good dozen for the 2 of us then home , not a bad morning

DAZ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sappercatcha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2013 at 10:25pm
sappercatcha View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

6:30 flight back to Auckland tomorrow morning so might get out Tuesday if im nottoo f****ed from the hard Core weekend
keep up the good work boys
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote otdrmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2013 at 5:58am
otdrmn View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Missed ya on Sunday Daz, had a smoking day from Saturdays effort.
Great morning on Saturday drifting together watching those bait fish on the surface and layers of same on sounder.
Scored a couple Kings up to 10kg, few pannies and a nice trev - all on lures / softies.

Wonderful part of the country that we live in.
The 4 R's ~ Rods, Reels, Rifles, Rooting
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2013 at 6:17pm
Catchit View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

In todays local rag....
A 65 year old man suffered a leg wound after he was struck by a stingray tail while fishing on a Kaipara Harbour charter boat on Saturday morning. The man had tried to pull his hook out of the stingray. He was taken off the boat at Shelly Beach and was transported by the Westpac rescue helicopter to North Shore Hospital.

Be careful out there guys..Shocked

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote otdrmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2013 at 6:24pm
otdrmn View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yep when I came in last week this was waiting for him at the reserve.
Chap was out on a charter and had to endure a trip back to the wharf for a drop off.
The 4 R's ~ Rods, Reels, Rifles, Rooting
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sappercatcha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2013 at 12:37pm
Platinum
Platinum

20/12/13- got to the ramp(beach) about 9:45 and went to set the mullet net at the mouth of a little creek in the hopes of getting a freezer full of bait next on the agenda for the day was scallops got our 40 in one 200m drag all big ones 120mm+ but where exactly has to remain a mystery as if I open my mouth I could run the risk of getting a boot so far up my arse that it would come out my mouth

then we drifted for a bit and picked up one ky and a few small snapper..... now to pick up the net which was a waste of time we got plenty of weed and logs but no fish

was about time by then for some serious fishing so we got set up in one of our little spots not too far out and got a few baits in the water and after a few hours the wind picked up quite bad and sea conditions turned quite nasty so we called it quits and made the slow bumpy ride home with 11snapper 32-40 1 ky and out scallops so all and all not a bad day on the water

got home to find that my new nephew had been born so a quick shower and off for a visit
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stuck Here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2013 at 1:43pm
Stuck Here View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by sappercatcha sappercatcha wrote:

next on the agenda for the day was scallops got our 40 in one 200m drag all big ones 120mm+ but where exactly has to remain a mystery as if I open my mouth I could run the risk of getting a boot so far up my arse that it would come out my mouth

With a size 12 steel capped gumboot, Ouch. LOL
Family Law Court = SNAFU!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2013 at 3:32pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Anyone caught any gurnard lately?

Cannot remember the last time we caught one but think it might have been the Gurnard comp or not long after that.

Where have they all gone as they still seem to be catching reasonable numbers on the Manukau.

We got out Tues from Mungakura ...... bite was full on then stopped ...... apart from a couple of hammerheads, two ky & a couple of doggies the 16 or so fish were all snaps but nothing of any size with maybe the biggest at about 35 cm.

I am convinced the area in front of the Island at the rivermouth is getting shallower month by month ....... came almost completely dry at low tide & even a couple of hours after was not enough water to get back to the markers so had to jump over & haul the boat. Light was beginning to fade & would soon have been difficult to see the markers so anyone going out over the xmas break may be prudent to err well on the side of caution when factoring in the tides & the available light or the visibility for whatever reason.
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sappercatcha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2013 at 4:25pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by bazza bazza wrote:

Cannot remember the last time we caught one but think it might have been the Gurnard comp or not long after that.

Where have they all gone as they still seem to be catching reasonable numbers on the Manukau.

We got out Tues from Mungakura ...... bite was full on then stopped ...... apart from a couple of hammerheads, two ky & a couple of doggies the 16 or so fish were all snaps but nothing of any size with maybe the biggest at about 35 cm.

I am convince the area in front of the Island at the rivermouth is getting shallower month by month ....... came almost completely dry at low tide & even a couple of hours after was not enough water to get back to the markers so had to jump over & haul the boat. Light was beginning to fade & would soon have been difficult to see the markers so anyone going out over the xmas break may be prudent to err well on the side of caution when factoring in the tides & the available light or the visibility for whatever reason.

we got a few nice ones the other day but yes have't been too meny round got my 1st ky for like a month maybe 2 yesterday
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2013 at 5:45pm
Catchit View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I am convinced the area in front of the Island at the rivermouth is getting shallower month by month ....... came almost completely dry at low tide & even a couple of hours after was not enough water to get back to the markers so had to jump over & haul the boat. Light was beginning to fade & would soon have been difficult to see the markers so anyone going out over the xmas break may be prudent to err well on the side of caution when factoring in the tides & the available light or the visibility for whatever reason.

Water is very warm, 22.7 deg last trip. Maybe the gurnard have departed ??

Have you tried putting your boat in at Jordan Rd ?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2013 at 6:01pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by Catchit Catchit wrote:

Had a peep at it once Tony & admittedly it was low tide however must say I had nothing but admiration for the fact you have regularly managed to launch your boat there as all I could see was what looked like a trickle of water running down a narrow drain.

Maybe you might be so kind as to show me how & when to launch there with my boat sometime then we could pop out for a quick fish or scollie mission.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stuck Here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2013 at 8:14pm
Stuck Here View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

The gurnard are still there, just difficult keeping the bait out long enough for them to find it, too many snaps in at the moment is the biggest obstacle to catching them. Sappercatcha and I caught some good ones last Friday (not yesterday) until the snaps went berserk and hit everything and anything put in the water. Perserverance and fishing where the gutters are running out from the sand flats on a falling tide will help with the quest.
Family Law Court = SNAFU!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2013 at 8:23pm
Catchit View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Had a peep at it once Tony & admittedly it was low tide however must say I had nothing but admiration for the fact you have regularly managed to launch your boat there as all I could see was what looked like a trickle of water running down a narrow drain.

Maybe you might be so kind as to show me how & when to launch there with my boat sometime then we could pop out for a quick fish or scollie mission.

we could get the cat in and out 3 hours either side of high without much bother, couldn't turn it around so just backed out. 10 min cruise down the Makarau and we were into it. lot of mullet in that river.

On holiday from next Tuesday for 12 days mate, just say the word Wink

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sappercatcha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2013 at 8:35pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Stuck Here Stuck Here wrote:

The gurnard are still there, just difficult keeping the bait out long enough for them to find it, too many snaps in at the moment is the biggest obstacle to catching them. Sappercatcha and I caught some good ones last Friday (not yesterday) until the snaps went berserk and hit everything and anything put in the water. Perserverance and fishing where the gutters are running out from the sand flats on a falling tide will help with the quest.

yeah quite often we get them 1st up with in 10 mins of setting the pick but as soon as the snapper show up forget it.... anywhere where a gut flows down off the shallows and an outgoing tide will fill your bin mostly snapps with the odd carrot but hay im not moaning
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2013 at 9:15pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

we could get the cat in and out 3 hours either side of high without much bother, couldn't turn it around so just backed out. 10 min cruise down the Makarau and we were into it. lot of mullet in that river.

I know a guy that lives up Makarau and launches in Jordan rd with a 5.5mtr surtees. Doesn't seem to have to many problems 2 to 3 hours each side of tide.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2013 at 9:19pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Am off tomorrow to the Wairapapa but will be back in the New Year so will see what we can work out then.

Cheers mate.
Page  <12345 33>