Spare Wheel Wanted

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spare Wheel Wanted
    Posted: 02 Dec 2013 at 1:56pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'm after a spare wheel for my boat trailer.  Unfortunately it's a Hoskings trailer, fitted with alloy wheels made by The Delta Metal Company of Christchurch.  They are an odd size, and they went bust years ago and apparently no one else makes them.  The hole pattern is 5 x 5", which means the pitch of the holes is 74.6mm.  I think some 50's american cars may have used this size as well.  So, on the off chance someone has an odd wheel laying around I thought I'd ask.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote slayliner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2013 at 8:58pm
slayliner View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi 5 x 5 is pretty common they come out on chev pickups and a few others

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote slayliner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2013 at 9:00pm
slayliner View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

probably 15" though

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote strx7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2013 at 9:34pm
strx7 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

what size rim?
Transport Wholesale can basically suppoy any sized steel rim in whatever stud pattern you want, i think they would be your best bet.
from memory the Rover 3500/SD1 etc were that stud pattern.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2013 at 10:41am
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It's a 13" rim.  Just tried Transport Wholesale, they are having a look around but it's not looking likely at the moment.  I think I may end up with a can of tyre weld in case I ever get a puncture.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nickedoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2013 at 12:39pm
Nickedoff View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

seen if hoskings has anything laying around?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2013 at 12:49pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

All Hoskings could suggest was replacing the axle, which seemed a bit excessive as I only wanted a spare wheel.  Nothing from transport wholesale either.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Finatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2013 at 1:10pm
Finatic View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Kevin.S Kevin.S wrote:

All Hoskings could suggest was replacing the axle, which seemed a bit excessive as I only wanted a spare wheel.  Nothing from transport wholesale either.

ConfusedWTF??? And that's how places lose business.

Voyager sell a few...

< id="adlesse_unifier_magic_element_id" style="display:none;">
What's the cheapest type of meat? Dear balls. They're under a buck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote captaintonyb@hotmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 5:11pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Dear Kevin, I have recently bought a trailer with the same Delta wheels, may I ask did you ever find a suitable wheel to use as a spare?  I've been thinking about buying three new wheels and drilling new stud holes in the hub. But I would like to know how you solved the problem.
Tony Batchelor: [email protected].
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blindspot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 3:08pm
Blindspot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

It may be easier in the long run to swap your hubs to suit something easier to find.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 4:03pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by captaintonyb@hotmail.com [email protected] wrote:

Dear Kevin, I have recently bought a trailer with the same Delta wheels, may I ask did you ever find a suitable wheel to use as a spare?  I've been thinking about buying three new wheels and drilling new stud holes in the hub. But I would like to know how you solved the problem.
Tony Batchelor: [email protected].

I never did find a spare wheel, and sold the boat several years ago.  If it's only a single axle I'd be tempted to look for a secondhand axle that had normal sized hubs on it. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote captaintonyb@hotmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 9:25pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Dear Kevin, thanks for that, my trailer has duratorque suspension so I think I'll have to buy three wheels and then drill holes in the hubs to match the new pattern. boating is not a cheap hobby !
thanks again Tony B.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 8:35am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

13" 5x5  thats a very old pattren / size  be going back to morris oxford , or something like early torana  or HR ht  holden...

Like hens teeth to source...
 There used to be a company in CH that specialized in re built old rims.. dont know if still around.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 1:30pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

yep in the same position,wanting a 10 inch 5 stud but who has them,tried a couple tralier shops and their suggestion was,pick a part try a mini??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cosmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 8:55pm
cosmo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

HOSKINGS have had several changes of owner ship lately, try TREADWAY in whangarei
i just want to go fishing..........amd ignore all my adult problems
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2021 at 6:41am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by cosmo cosmo wrote:

HOSKINGS have had several changes of owner ship lately, try TREADWAY in whangarei
thanks will try monday or I could buy some tyre rods and a tube for the just incase senario?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kimber7wsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2021 at 7:08am
kimber7wsm View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

The tubes would work as long as you carry a compressor. The only problem with that is, when I last had a flat on the trailer I didn't notice until it had gone completely flat as you don't get the same feel as when you get a flat on a car. By the time I stopped the tyre was stuffed. Although it would have got me to a tyre shop well enough if I had put in a tube.

I vote, buy new hubs in the falcon pattern and buy some secondhand cheap 5 stud nissan alloys or similar. Pick a part probably have some. Raise the guards a touch if you have too.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2021 at 7:31am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by kimber7wsm kimber7wsm wrote:

The tubes would work as long as you carry a compressor. The only problem with that is, when I last had a flat on the trailer I didn't notice until it had gone completely flat as you don't get the same feel as when you get a flat on a car. By the time I stopped the tyre was stuffed. Although it would have got me to a tyre shop well enough if I had put in a tube.

I vote, buy new hubs in the falcon pattern and buy some secondhand cheap 5 stud nissan alloys or similar. Pick a part probably have some. Raise the guards a touch if you have too.
Just trying to avoid raising trailer height.Has tilt but the ramp I mainly use it slips off nicely but If I use tilt it will bottom out.Depends on state of tide whether I get enough angle or not.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2021 at 10:14am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

,wanting a 10 inch 5 stud

What is the PCD?
the center distance between each 2nd stud?
 (4 stud is center distance between studs)
 Very basics need
 diameter (10")
 number studs (5)
PCD    ?

Then throw in more curlies, what is the center hole size?
 This basically centers the rim on the hub.
 And even further, the off set.. get too much and the tyre will hit the chassis/ springs.
 And finally, are they metric or imperial PCD measurements?

Full tilt is for beach..
 You can pre limit lilt with a a couple small holes, and bit of chain and couple small shackles.
 What you are looking for is dropping the rear centering roller to close to the water, surface level +/1 about thickness of the roller .. if beach or backyard.. full tilt. shallow water due to tolerance centering roller tolerance, gives rather a wide tolerance for any setting up may have with a chain.

I have had mine limited for yrs, suits all situations except beach and pulling up from the backyard.

From memory , I think 100mm between lowest point and ground is min clearance for towing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote honestbruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 4:12am
honestbruce View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi All, If you find yourself in this situation, the cheapest way forward is a multi fit wheel rim. Has twice the number of holes so you should find something. There are rim suppliers in NZ and I last contacted a supplier via Google.
Page  12>