Smokey Things

Page  <1234 10>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote feijoa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 6:05pm
feijoa View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

looks amazing. what did you season the camembert with? just the spices in the image? will have to try that :)!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2014 at 9:42am
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep spices in the image, Tuscan, Piri piri, and Celery salt.Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote U357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2014 at 10:43am
U357 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by brmbrm brmbrm wrote:

Originally posted by Clifftastic Clifftastic wrote:

A couple of years no worries.

A couple of years in the freezer? Really?  

So basically you can stock up when the fishing is good for the whole year no problem?

I just through out some 2011 smoked fish, only smoke enough to eat fresh now
404. That’s an error.
That’s all we know.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2014 at 9:03am
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Smoked Pork Roast...half smoked half roasted was premo. Basted in pineapple juice and honey, stuffed with garlic... Manuka wood chips and Pohutukawa shavings soaked in red wine...was premo!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2014 at 12:17pm
Moggy View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Catchelot Catchelot wrote:

Did a Lamb leg sort of half smoked and half baked/roasted in the outdoor smoker cooker.

Photos do the talking I guess...but it was divine!

Might write the recipe and challenge the Moggy Star!ClapLOL

Boom!

OUI
Rules of the game are in order to be in the line for a moggie star a sample must be provided at the time to the judge... ME....
failure to do so wll make the application null and void...

Looks bloody good Al, How long was it in and what temp?
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it!
FISH FIGHT The Peoples Protest
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote EditB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2014 at 10:50pm
EditB View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

So I've converted my old dishwasher into a smoker unit

And stuck it in a gap in my hedge, also happens to be the furtherest away from all my neighbours

Made myself a cold smoke generator

and tested a small block of edam (30min cold smoke - very nice. The hotplate's not connected...)

and have finally done my first fully brined and smoked trout

Soo much tastier than the old hotbox method I've always used. Thumbs Up even my eldest who doesn't normally like smoked fish asked for another sample! Approve

Next week I'm moving on to bacon Pig. I've been absorbing the Charcuterie book recommended on here and will be getting the sausage attachment for the wifes Kitchen Aid soon look out salamis!

I do not lie about fishing, I willingly participate in a campaign of misinformation.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2014 at 7:56am
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thats cool Brenton kiwi ingenuity at its finestClap

How does the smoke generator work?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote EditB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2014 at 10:44am
EditB View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

It's a venturi style smoker Al. A fish pump pushes air through the small tube, which is inserted into the big tube which has a hole in the middle. The little tube goes just past the hole and as the air flows out it sucks the smoke along for the ride. As the wood chips only smoulder you gets heaps of smoke and not much heat.

I have found that sawdust style wood chips go out too frequently, I think it's the weight of them as they tumble down smother the embers. Larger style woodchips keep going once you've got your ember burning

Plenty of youtube clips around, I got followed a kiwi called roughasgutz howto. If you can't be bothered making your own (mine cost $21, just for the pump, everything else I had to hand) you can spend $100+ on a professional jobbie on Trademe. But I like making stuff

I do not lie about fishing, I willingly participate in a campaign of misinformation.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Doubie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2014 at 9:08pm
Doubie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

That's an awesome effort B..some Kiwi ingenuity for sure. Once you have practiced on yourself and got things perfect I might have to catch up for a tasting session LOL

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote EditB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2014 at 12:29pm
EditB View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Cheers Simon There's been a few of those comments from friends and family

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2014 at 2:56pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Some Roast Turkey legs finished off in the smoker for flavour with some Colby cheeseThumbs Up

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2014 at 6:03pm
Moggy View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Some Roast Turkey legs finished off in the smoker for flavour with some Colby cheeseThumbs Up

Mate you clearly have way to much time on your hands...
Still have not got my sample!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2014 at 6:30pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Very nice!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2014 at 6:46pm
yknot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

That smoke generator looks the go.
Those that say it can't be done are being overtaken by those doing it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Doubie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2014 at 9:05pm
Doubie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by EditB EditB wrote:

Cheers Simon There's been a few of those comments from friends and family

Sounds like I am in good company then Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2014 at 8:15pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

This arvos outdoor cookup...

Smoked Broadbill Swordfish and Colby CheeseClap

Note the colour ...lovely white loins...the Pork of the Sea!Cool

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote EditB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2014 at 12:37pm
EditB View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

how's the texture of your cheese Al? I'm guessing you're hot smoking it rather than cold?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2014 at 8:36am
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah mate I guess hot smoking or should I say warm... the coolest I can get this gas smoker down to is about 70 deg, the last few attempts I sliced a 1kg block of Colby into four placed each in a tin foil tray and smoked as slow as I could for about 2hrs. As you can see it all eventually melts down, once its done after 2hrs simply allow it to cool and then put it in the fridge and it goes firm and solid again, and from there it is easy to pop out of the tin foil tray in one piece and easily slice bits off it, cheese is firm and crisp, no longer soft cheddar...very very moorish!ClapClap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2014 at 11:09am
Moggy View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah mate I guess hot smoking or should I say warm... the coolest I can get this gas smoker down to is about 70 deg, the last few attempts I sliced a 1kg block of Colby into four placed each in a tin foil tray and smoked as slow as I could for about 2hrs. As you can see it all eventually melts down, once its done after 2hrs simply allow it to cool and then put it in the fridge and it goes firm and solid again, and from there it is easy to pop out of the tin foil tray in one piece and easy slice bits off it...very very moorish!ClapClap

Suggestion Al throw a baking dish of ice in next time on the bottom shelf and keep it topped up, that will cool the thing down long enough to smoke the cheese.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2014 at 4:11pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Tried that bro even had two trays one of water full of icecubes the other of fridge temp water and it held the smoker at 60 deg but after half an hour the temp rose and stayed in the 70's.

So it is the limit of gas oven smokers without an external smoke generator and maybe electric controlled heating, but nevertheless as I read and tried let the cheese melt and turn into a molten blob of protein, persevere and let it cool and settle in the fridge and it turns into a very pleasant surprise. So far I have tried with Cheddars' Tasty and Colby as they have good fat content, Edan will be next. Also the Camemberts stuffed with spices was fantastic also.Thumbs Up

Page  <1234 10>