Smokey Things

Page  <1 56789 10>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Boyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2015 at 9:11pm
Boyo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Good stuff Steps. Thanks so much for all your advice and encouragement. Doing a Kingfish charter with Epic next month so want to make sure my systems and processes are good.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2015 at 9:48pm
skunk View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Cheers for the sample Nige..tasted damn fine and Im sure your results will only improve as your shiney smoker gets a good layer of seasoning in it!
But in the interests of on going quality control, i will volunteer to test your results
"Team Skunk 10th equal Grunter Hunter 2020"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2015 at 9:35am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good stuff Steps. Thanks so much for all your advice and encouragement.

Im just passing on what I have found out from others... then having a play.... and what  actually works
There is a heap of damn good snippets in older posts and a couple light weight over priced smoking books

I assume that u gave your smoker a good 'cook up' smoke before your 1st actual cook?  tends to hot cure the smoker paint, burn out any oils whatever left behind from manufacture.... definitely makes a difference to taste... I think the smoker instruction manual mentions something along those lines
OH and lay tin foil in the bottom around the sheld above the burner.. makes easy clean of dropped crap... and keep that floor clean... dont want unwanted nasty flavours from over cooking old crap.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Boyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2015 at 7:37pm
Boyo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by skunk skunk wrote:

Cheers for the sample Nige..tasted damn fine and Im sure your results will only improve as your shiney smoker gets a good layer of seasoning in it!
But in the interests of on going quality control, i will volunteer to test your results

Mat - you did an amazing job of that Kingfish for Boysie and I last year. I'd be happy for you to participate in my quality control!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Godders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2015 at 7:52pm
Godders View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

How do you prepare a snapper for smoking,like do you remove the bones first?marinade it in teriyaki sauce?and are there any recommended fishing cookbooks?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Boyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2015 at 11:48pm
Boyo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Godders, I'm relatively new to smoking fish but in my experience so far leaving the bones in the fish means you get more fish to eat but picking out the bones can be a pain so I fillet the fish as economically as I can (Kahawai for example) and cut out the pin bones but leave the skin on. You absolutely have to cure the fish (a mixture of plain salt and soft brown sugar is good) for a minimum of 24 hours (48 if you can). I have tried mixing equal amounts of salt and sugar dry and applying it liberally over the flesh and mixing a brine of 1/2 cup of salt to 1/3 cup of sugar in 3 litres of water and submerging the fish in it. Both are really good but it's up to the individual. Either way leave it covered in the fridge. After the curing time wash off the brine, pat dry with a paper towel and leave uncovered in the fridge to dry some more. Smoke slowly - I try to maintain the temperature at around 70 - 80 degrees. You wont get it totally right the first time but practice makes perfect.
The people on this forum are very helpful. Anything you want to find out about it just ask or go back on previous posts - your questions have probably been asked before.  Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2015 at 8:47am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Myt basic method is fillet and skin... means no hasstle handling in the kitchen making pies, fish cakes etc later
1/2 tea cup salt
1/2 tea cup malt brown sugar
couple good solid gulps of sweet chilli sauce
disolve up in 1L water
Soak for approx 2 hrs ave size fillets  little more for bigger.
Dry fillets.. the drier u get them at this point the better the cured colour at the end.. I lay out tea towel on the bench, lay fillets on the very firmly press dry with another tea towel.
sprinkle evenly as little as possible malt brown sugar and rub evenly in on both sides.
Smoke (not using manuka  use apple, hickory, pohutukawa, cherry or blends of these and others) for 3 to 5 hrs at 40 to 45 degs or until just 'cooked' and still moist.. u may find sometimes with large fillets u need to cook for about 10 to 20 mins at around 70/75 degs at the end to get the center cooked but still moist.
 u may like to throw 1/2 cup rum or brandy in the marinate also or instead of the sweet chilli....or a BBQ sauce  or home-made tomato and chilli chutney
Have a play ....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Boyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2015 at 3:23pm
Boyo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

There you go Godders - just like I said. People here are tripping over themselves to help us out. Steps pointed me in the right direction earlier and I haven't looked back. Tonight I'm going to have a smoke up of some Kingfish I caught on Tuesday. I'll let you know how I got on. Did some Kingie for one of my fishing buddies last night and it was lovely.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Godders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2015 at 3:52pm
Godders View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yes thanks guys.I only have the cheap smokers from the Warehouse but maybe can low heat for 3-4hrs on top of the bbq,might leave skin on and remove pin bones and marinade for 24hrs first and dry properly.hope your kingy turns out good cheers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2015 at 5:55pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

.I only have the cheap smokers from the Warehouse but maybe can low heat for 3-4hrs on top of the bbq
Yep ours is a cheap red shed on special.. I was making one out of a large filing cabinet.. still had to get the burners etc... wife saw it in a sale brochure and worked out cheaper so told me to go buy it.....

to get temps down, pulled the little chimmeny thing off the top, that opened the hole up, lets more heat out.
Then got a lpg regulator that is not sealed unit.. adjusted the lpg pressure right down to reduce flow/ flame... ideally needs a smaller burner 50 or 60 mm diameter.. but reducing pressure/ flow did the trick.
Also what may help is I have it inside the shed with a ventilation 100mm diam  flexy tube that goes out the door 3 m up.
Re did the door seals, and put those strong magnets top and bottom to pull door closed properly.. thru out the silly little chip smoker (wifes idea) and use one of her old cake tins with holes drilled in .
Another issue with smaller flame is gusts of wind blowing the flame out from the bottom, even in the shed, so a couple bits play around the legs to shield.

And seen a few of the much more expensive very similar units in action since.. and they leak, low heat control issues also.

There is another thread or place around that gives more detailed instructions with pics etc I put up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Boyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2015 at 7:33pm
Boyo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Steps, thanks for putting your posts up. They are always interesting and each one has another snippet of information.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shanepaarman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2015 at 12:46am
shanepaarman View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

thats looks delicious! Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shanepaarman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2015 at 12:48am
shanepaarman View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

thats some nice looking smoked fish! Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Boyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2015 at 8:43am
Boyo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I did some smoked Kingi a few weeks ago, which I might add was bloody beautiful, and vac packed some and froze it. When I got some of it out of the freezer recently it was soggy but still tasted great. Why would it be soggy and what can I do the overcome it on the next job? Steps - I'm hoping you have magic trick for this.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CanadianJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2015 at 8:58am
CanadianJohn View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

boyo, was it hot when you vac packed it?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2015 at 9:23am
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Does anyone know if there is anyone still making the Vulcana Smokers? Electric smokers with a sawdust hopper on the outside with an auger that trickles sawdust down onto a pan on a hot element in the smoker box. They are bloody awesome set and forget units, but mine has blown out the element, so I don't think it will work any more dammit.
So....anyone know where I could get another? Or just a replacement hopper/element assembly....
It is only my overwhelming natural humility that mars my perfection.

Captain Asparagus, Superhero, Adventurer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Boyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2015 at 11:07pm
Boyo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Canadian John - no it was well and truly cold.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2015 at 2:58pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

4 hour smoke at 85 deg with manuka chips and fine saw dust in the last hour, overnight baste in honey maple syrup and himalayan pink salt.

Normally I'd baste and marinade for three days, but no time today, came out awesome.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Boyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 3:20pm
Boyo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Looks bloody good Catchelot - mouth watering. Haven't smoked anything since my Kingi as I have only caught Snapper (and the family want those for pan frying) and small Kahawai which I use to catch the Snapper. Nearly had a small Kingi on Monday but he spat the Mackeral out. Think I might have deny catching anything and sneak some Snapper into the smoker. Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pro Fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 5:45pm
Pro Fish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Drool !
Cant beat the 'ol Lamb n Rosey
Page  <1 56789 10>