Smokey Things

Page  <1 34567 10>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2014 at 5:39pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Been a while since the smoka has seen some kaimoana...

Hapuka heads in the Char-Broil this time with Apple chips.

Just a wee bit of himalayan pink rock salt on the internal of the heads, no marinade, I sometimes rub dark soy sauce over Snapper heads purely to give them colour...flavour not required cos you cannot make heads taste and better than they succulently are...Pig

12kg Kingfish, three day marinade basting glaze of manuka honey, pomegranate molasses and black strap molasses... I don't use sugar.

Four hours at about 70 degrees and it was delectableClap

Oh and head as well...nothing wastedThumbs Up

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jaapie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2014 at 6:05pm
Jaapie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Jeez Al, that really does look fantastic.

The cat doesn't look too impressed though -
"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2014 at 7:07pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Murf actually climbed on the table and dragged the largest head off when I wasn't lookin Kev ...hilarious as, big paw in its mouthLOL
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2014 at 9:11am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Love your exortic recipies.....one day will catch enough often enought to process to that level to try some of them...
And what is great is they seem to be of nature that they are flavours that enhance rather than completely change the basic taste of the original food...otherwise may as well flavour tofu or taro as the base
With the modest playing around I have done with woods, molasses, rum etc, I can actually taste your flavours as I read them.
Yes have settled for an apple base for wood chip, with blends of cherry, and small amount of manuka ...enough manuka to give the extra strong smoke but not enough for the manuka harshness
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2014 at 8:00am
yknot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Weather is frustrating me, might as well do the next best thing. Pulled out the last of marlin, soaking in brine. Will have some smoking to do sunday.
Those that say it can't be done are being overtaken by those doing it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2014 at 3:10pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Don't forget an after pic GeoffThumbs Up

Looking goodClap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2014 at 3:53pm
yknot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Stage 2 - dressed and forming the pellicle, going in the fridge for the night. Could wait got the smoker going already as a test run as harvested a pile smoking wood this morning, love that smell.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2014 at 2:42pm
yknot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Smoker fire was started 7ish this morning.
First lot just came out. Very tasty
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2014 at 3:59pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Looks good mate, so six month old marlin not too dry or old??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2014 at 4:04pm
yknot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Taste fine to me Al. When I cut it up it was in smoking size pieces and free flow frozen. Then when I wanted to smoke it placed it in the brine frozen overnight as has been suggested on here. Works a treat and you only need to smoke what you need .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2014 at 4:46pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Excellent, don't forget to try the odd free flow bit on the BBQ grill or even fry pan when you fancy a decadent piece.Pig

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote atis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2014 at 11:49am
atis View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hey yknot, could you share your brine recipe?

www.basszone.co.nz

home of reels
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 7:07pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Krow and Fugly scored some Albacore on Sunday, so a two day marinade in Manuka Honey and a little Himalayan pink salt and 2.5hrs at 80-90deg.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2015 at 10:38am
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Smoked roast lamb fillet... was divineClap

Some before and after pics

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2015 at 6:28pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hickory smoked turkey drum sticks yummo...Clap

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote simonsplace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2015 at 10:49am
simonsplace View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Fellas. I'm looking for a smoking/vacuum packing service somewhere in Auckland, preferably east towards Halfmoon bay. Any suggestions/recommendations? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2015 at 3:14pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I was blessed with winning a Bradley electric portable benchtop smoker today in a Facebook promotion, thank you George and the team at Saltwater Connection!ClapCool

Anyone have any pearls of wisdom as to the finer points of operating these fine pieces of machinery?

To me will great for the times you only want to do one or two fish, but great for doing nibbles and small foods like cheese, chickens, chicken liver pate, turkey drumsticks etc...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Boyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2015 at 9:59am
Boyo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi All

I am considering buying a gas smoker oven and was nearly going to order a black steel Gasmate Smoker Oven when I saw a post detailing a few faults now I am wondering whether I should spend a bit more and get a Kiwi Sizzler. I am looking for views from people about both options. Thanks in advance.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2015 at 9:41am
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

As you will see from past photos Boyo I am using a stainless Gasmate smoker and I do rate it, I have no faults or complaints except that about 70 degrees is as low as I can go with it, but fish comes out premo after about three hours.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2015 at 11:22am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I saw a post detailing a few faults
That will be a post I made a while back
It is not a Gasmate
It is similar setup to a gasmate....a 'budget' $199 special from the red shed
I can not comment on gasmate as have never used one.. but going on Catchelots knowledge reliability and experience to which I have a lot of respect for... would take is comments seriously.
Also to note is I operate my smoker indoors.. therefore any  smoke leaks around doors, which would otherwise not matter, or nor be noticed, become irrelivent.
And it could well be because I have fully sealed the door, in doing so, restricted  air flow, partly resulting on not being able to cold  smoke at temps below 45 deg C, .. and removing the restriction of the little chimney,  PLUS adding a 120mm diam vent duct some 3.5m height to the outside roof... fixed the issue.
As to replacing the tiny supplied chip box to extend  time to replenish out to 4 to 5 hrs and improve burn with a cake tin.. thats not exactly a major issue... and a nil issue if one wishes to hot smoke over 50 degs.
The issue of a draft around the bottom, effecting a low flame/ consistent air/ smoke flow is also of minor issue... simply shield with a scape of sheet metal lent up against the open side... or move/ locate out of the draft...
And not enough shelves.. the gasmate has slightly bigger and  an extra shelf....
Come home with a bin full, and the crew may want a lot of their share of the bin smoked as well....Any reasonable sized home smoker will fall short.

And what one can smoke up in a cabinet smoker/ cooker  be it a elcheapo unit like mine or a gasmate is far greater than most other types....

Would I buy another one ... hell yeah....knowing I would need to find a old cake tin, drill a few holes... and a tube rtv ans spend a few minutes laying a good bead t make a perfect seal... and a couple good little magnets to hold the door closed better....
And espec now I KNOW these couple elcheapo, no tools required, stuff all time needed fixes work 100%
Page  <1 34567 10>