Smokey Things

Page  <1 23456 10>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 5:59pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Tonight decided to be a little daring, chicken breast marinaded in special sauces and spices, stuffed with smoked cheese and wrapped in streaky bacon and into the smoker, so Smoked Chicken Cordon Bleus!Clap

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Thesteamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 8:01pm
Thesteamer View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Cooking in side tonight ,man cave is flooded.Keep it up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2014 at 3:26pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Come out premo, so good am doing some more right nowClap

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote EditB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2014 at 1:03pm
EditB View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

No pics today but I did discover that my fire extinguisher works really well at putting out the flaming wooden supports in my smoker... Embarrassed.

Managed to save the leg of lamb I was smoke roasting in there tho, very tasty it turned out too Big smile

Next upgrade to the smoker will be METAL supports...
I do not lie about fishing, I willingly participate in a campaign of misinformation.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2014 at 1:02pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Tonight's entrée smoked mussels drizzled in melted butter and chopped smoked garlic and spiced piripiri.

Yeah Tu Meke!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big Manly Yaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2014 at 11:49am
Big Manly Yaka View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Can you run us through your mussel smoking process Catchalot? are they raw going into the smoker? how long, and are they just hot smoked?
Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2014 at 12:59pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

As above....
With my flame that high my temps would be over 120 C
Also notice u dont have a top on the cake tin / chips???
?I have found if I dont have the top on I get more ash....with on a tiny bit.. maybe a teaspoon after a 6 hr smoke.
I find ash gives a bitter taste....
Got a smoke on at the moment....
Have been experimenting with flavours in the water (doesnt work) ....on the fish works... but want hint to enhance the original fish, not taste of.. if u know what I mean?
So this time added a bit of rum to the fish  salt/ sugar marinate.....
Have u ever used those cooking essences in the little bottles? and if so how much /where?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2014 at 2:15pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes they are raw, melted butter and garlic/piripiri mixture brushed on, smoker bought up to about 130deg just to heat the sawdust until it is smoking and then I turn it down and let it gently smoke away at 70deg for about two hours, so not hot smoked, next time I will do it for a lesser time as they were a little over done, but nevertheless tasted absolutely delicious!

Nothing difficult or rocket science, experiment a bit until you are happy with it, but I wouldn't smoke it too hot as they will dry out too quickly. 

I used an old cake tin purely as it is bigger than the tray that comes with the smoker and lasts longer, I haven't found I need a lid with holes on top of it yet...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2014 at 4:43pm
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

home made chilli sauce over mussels . place a little on shell then mussel on top more sauce over top and smoke. eat away but put sum in plastic bag and into the fridge over nite more smokie flavour. lunch for work or brekie .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Unclejake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2014 at 6:07pm
Unclejake View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by EditB EditB wrote:

Probably too late - but I had the same problem and got some stainless steel folded up to cover the (rather badly burnt) timber frame. So far so good (six years?)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2014 at 9:32am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I used an old cake tin purely as it is bigger than the tray that comes with the smoker and lasts longer, I haven't found I need a lid with holes on top of it yet...
I believe the idea of the lid is to restrict the oxygen, which then forms charcoal rather than burn to ash.. The burn of charcoal is a cleaner burn, the process of charcoal to ash is a hotter burn giving off far more chemicals and bitter taste from them.

even just a plate over the top with holes will do the job
Going back to my post re cake tin above...in practice I dont put the lid right on as its a hasstle to lift the heat distorted metal to check the chips on a long cold smoke...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Finatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2014 at 10:59am
Finatic View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Al, next time you do mussels, try a mixture of Tabasco Chipotle sauce and butter at a ratio of 1 Tbsp sauce to 50g butter.Thumbs Up< id="adlesse_unifier_magic_element_id" style="display: none; ">

What's the cheapest type of meat? Dear balls. They're under a buck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2014 at 7:45pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Master foods teriyaki marinade very nice on mussels as well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote EditB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2014 at 8:04pm
EditB View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Cold smoked some cheese for after dinner, and since I was only doing a couple of wedges I fired up the venturi and used the beer box worked a treat, cold smoked (pear) for 4+ hours

also did some maple syrup in a couple of small trays - wow! That was amazing on the bacon the next morning! The whole family smashed it and demanded more

I do not lie about fishing, I willingly participate in a campaign of misinformation.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote EditB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2014 at 8:07pm
EditB View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Unclejake Unclejake wrote:

Probably too late - but I had the same problem and got some stainless steel folded up to cover the (rather badly burnt) timber frame. So far so good (six years?)
All fixed now, the smoker is an old dishwasher so is s/s internal, I was too hasty and used untreated timber for the rack struts and supports. Have replaced them with angle ali now
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote muchalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2014 at 8:34pm
muchalls View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Arbroath Smokies. Had some on a return trip to Scotland.. Hot smoked Haddock, maybe blue cod would work? They also do wicked hot smoked salmon.
http://www.arbroathsmokies.net
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 2QUACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2014 at 2:55pm
2QUACK View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

]

All fixed now, the smoker is an old dishwasher so is s/s internal, I was too hasty and used untreated timber for the rack struts and supports. Have replaced them with angle ali now
[/QUOTE]
Haha my smoker is also a dishwasher works pretty well just finished a batch of Goose jerky in it and the results were pretty good will not be buying jerky from now on
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2014 at 10:45am
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Time to soak the Beef Jerky marinade overnight before a visit to the smoka but that will be 2mros choreWink

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2014 at 3:39pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Did two soaks one a typical steak marinade with spices and a little chilli the other a slight sweet concoction including pomegranate molasses and manuka honeyThumbs Up

5hr pohutukawa smoke at about 60-70degs

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2014 at 5:33pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My jerky I dont cut till smoked and cooled down.. around 5 hrs  @ 45/55 c and last 20 mins 70/75c
Have found soaking in marinate for anout 2rs is all thats require because of the thickness of the meat.
yeah the molasses certainly gives abetter flavour/ sweetness than sugars.
Page  <1 23456 10>