Smokey Things

Page  123 10>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Smokey Things
    Posted: 10 Nov 2013 at 8:44pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well I have not long bought a Gasmate Smoker/Outdoor Oven, here is a few pics of a few things I have done...much learning curve as it is much more than a smoker...so on going.Thumbs Up

Hapuku heads and a wee bit of Trevally and Grey Mullet roe.
 Cat liked pukas and smoked cheese...the cheese was divine!Cool
 Pic for Squid...

And today was Trevally and Mullet left all night to soak in Molasses and Syrup.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2013 at 9:11pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Got one myself but had trouble keeping the temp right, wanted a longer slower smoke. So I have bolted one of the UFO Venturi stokers on the side. Now I can run smoke only for a couple of hours the bring the heat up to finish things off. Good smokers for the price though.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2013 at 9:12am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I picked up one cheap from the warehouse a few months ago.
Learning curve.
not necessarily in the following order
1/ could not get a stable low temp....1st issue the temp gauge was inconsistent, so replaced with a masport bbq lid gauge.
2/ the door warped as warmed and spilled heat and smoke out the sides.
wiped a good thin  layer of grease around the door opening... then some RTC silicone sealant a real thick layer around the door.. the closed , and ropped reasonable firm and left for next day... the greaser stops the silicone from sticking the door closed... mostly.
This creates a custom rubber seal
3/ the magnetic where not strong enough to hold the door fully closed....got a 3 little round super magnetic and placed inside the smoker where the door closes...top middle and bottom
4/ had to re adjust the door hinge alignment
5/ some smokers need water tray others dont apparently. it my understanding the water tray is used to collect drippings and prevent fire PLUS LPG doesnt give off enough moisture to keep temps low and humidity high for maintaining lower temps.

Now I can maintain a stable min temp of 55/58 degs....up to what ever I like....between outlet size and flame size.
If I modded the chimmeny outlet a little larger and a controller to adjust the exhaust size, I would be even lower stable temps......adjusting the gas flow goes below the design of the burner efficiency limits so that with the current burner is not an option.

The saw dust chip burner .. saw dust lasts about 2 1/2 to 3 hrs before recharging....slow smoke requires longer.....soaking and having the sawdust to 'start the smolder and larger chips gives a far longer smolder before re charging.

Before he changes, my 1st attempt at a few snapper fillets and some jerky was to say the least, very disapionting......the 1st smoke up after all the above...( outlet not modded yet, still thinking if needed)  well the smoked fillets where meant to last a few days....a lot was left after the fish pie and cakes....which disappeared that evening as 'junk food'  nibbled on that evening.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Finatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2013 at 9:33am
Finatic View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Looking good Al. I haven't tried smoking any fish yet, but the kettle bbq did a good job on some chicken tits. I bought one of those smoking boxes that you fill with moist chips and put on the coals. When I do my pizzas I just throw a handful of dry dust straight on the coals and although it burns off quite quickly, it still ads the smokey flavour to the pizzas. **** now I'm hungry!< id="adlesse_unifier_magic_element_id" style="display:none;">

What's the cheapest type of meat? Dear balls. They're under a buck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2013 at 10:09am
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Finatic Finatic wrote:

Looking good Al. I haven't tried smoking any fish yet, but the kettle bbq did a good job on some chicken tits. I bought one of those smoking boxes that you fill with moist chips and put on the coals. When I do my pizzas I just throw a handful of dry dust straight on the coals and although it burns off quite quickly, it still ads the smokey flavour to the pizzas. **** now I'm hungry!< id="adlesse_unifier_magic_element_id" style="display:none;">

Chicken Tits ... that I gotta see!LOLLOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tas-tackle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2013 at 2:49am
tas-tackle View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

YO AL...  I have one and put a smoke cannon thru the side... i prepare my fish... lay on racks.. and fire up heat (lowest temp) and fire the smoke canon up..   the cannon runs for an hour and i refill it but dont run..
so 1 hour with burner and cannon, next two hours just with smoker unit ( refill if needed) and the last hour
I fire the cannon up again..All up 4 hours give or take gives a very satisfactory result.. 
Try some thick whole slices of onion...on tin foil...   streaky bacon...   Does your have a water bowl..??
This cools the smoke somewhat hence why it takes 4 hours .. but thats oks as it allows heaps of bevvie time.. Beer
(no magnetic door on mine.. its a wire basket that turns to lock the door shut...)

http://www.tas-tackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2013 at 5:18pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes it does John can you add a few pics of yours and the smoke cannon, and where did you purchase it from? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2013 at 4:39pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have not long bought a vacuum packer, how long will vac packed smoked fish last in the fridge experts?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clifftastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2013 at 10:05pm
Clifftastic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

A couple of years no worries.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2013 at 8:16am
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Clifftastic Clifftastic wrote:

Freezer yes I agree... but fridge temp???
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2013 at 7:08pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

A couple of years in the freezer? Really?  

So basically you can stock up when the fishing is good for the whole year no problem?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skidoggg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2013 at 10:42pm
skidoggg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

probably find it will last longer if the fish is "cured " properly rather than just sweetened and hot smoked
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2013 at 7:22am
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by skidoggg skidoggg wrote:

probably find it will last longer if the fish is "cured " properly rather than just sweetened and hot smoked

Was cured/marinading for 3 days Ski and then dried and slow smoked for a few hours...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2013 at 9:55am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by skidoggg skidoggg wrote:

just finishing off the last of the smoked fish in the fidge today from last weekend.. no vac pack
nibbling on a bit at the moment ..still very good.
But it is fast 'cured' before smoking.. about 2 1/2 hrs all up and smoked for 4 1/2 5 hrs at around 55 to 60 deg... not quite short hot smoke or over night cold and smaller size... fillets/ wings etc
The chicken drum sticks,pork chops and bacon strips.. finished them yesterday.. still very good condition.. the jerky .. think may last till next Sat fishing.. maybe not because keep picking at that too.

Cold /low temp smoke slow  lasts far longer than short and fast... AND has a very diferent taste texture... quick and fast doesnt get deep inside, espec right into the chicken bone joints..., or even close.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tas-tackle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2013 at 6:49pm
tas-tackle View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi Al
As requested  here is a piccy of my cannon unit... 
It was one of the first made where the guy was experimenting to get the venturi right and i was 'jonny" on the spot to get at cost price...    works well if i fill it,  light it and leave it alone..
I have used the vent as a portal for the smoke and being low , the smoke can rise past the water bowl..
When drying, the pellicle is essential to achieve as that is what the smoke adheres to...
Here is a link to my other website and you may find some useful info and some good ole homegrown recipes from my years and years of cooking...
 http://www.e-ware.co.nz/recipes/smokfish.htm

http://www.tas-tackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clifftastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2013 at 2:29pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Catchelot Catchelot wrote:

Freezer yes I agree... but fridge temp???

Sorry Catchelot, missed this. I read that anything longer than two weeks in the fridge you should freeze it. I freeze everything regardless when I vacuum pack, as it defrosts so quickly and doesnt alter the quality.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2014 at 11:41am
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Bit of an experiment, spiced up Camembert smoked for about an hour at 70-75 deg about as low as I could get the smoker down to...ok it melted a little but tasted damn fine.Clap

Plus a few Snapa heads, be rude not toWink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clifftastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2014 at 12:01pm
Platinum
Platinum

That looks deeeeelicious! And inspired me to do the same asap too, great stuff.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2014 at 10:31pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Did a Lamb leg sort of half smoked and half baked/roasted in the outdoor smoker cooker.

Photos do the talking I guess...but it was divine!

Might write the recipe and challenge the Moggy Star!ClapLOL

Boom!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NZTurtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 6:23am
NZTurtle View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Noice!
Page  123 10>