2013/2014 updates - West Coast- Raglan to Ahipara

Page  <12345 33>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2013 at 1:52pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Scorpion, behind the bar, use pink sabikis, no bait necessay, usually sitting mid water> I use a 1oz sinker.There big and plentiful, next season after the coast is raped dunno.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote HULK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2013 at 3:21pm
HULK View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Can you guys advise on what the huia ramp is like? I have always launched at  mangere due to the size of my boat (a big 8.5m). But thinking of keeping the boat out west for the season to cut down on fuel bill each day out. Is low tide a no go for big boat?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2013 at 3:45pm
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

best to have a look yourself but the small pebble beach just before the ramp would be a better bet I think.
PM Billfish as he uses the beach for launching
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Double Shot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2013 at 3:55pm
Double Shot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

On a super low tide I'd say a no go, but full tide you'll be off the beach sweet as..I've had my 6.5HT at a spring low at end of ramp, still water under her, you'd have to be very careful, PM Legacy he lives there I think and has his new rig being built...but yeah go check it out...
70ml of 90deg C water pressurised through 13g of roasted finely ground tamped coffee for 25sec's to make a distinguishing sensory hit called a Double Shot    
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote HULK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2013 at 4:01pm
HULK View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Sweet, might have to go for a drive then. Boat is freakin heavy and my poor ute struggles at the best of times. So if the beach was at all soft I wouldn't try.
Don't suppose anyone would know of someone with big property that would be interested in a bit of cash to keep the boat there? The tow from Onehunga to huia with big wide boat is just not worth doing regularly.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bugzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2013 at 4:23pm
Bugzy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

PM Sent here fishee fishee

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote atis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2013 at 4:24pm
atis View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

We used the boat ramp at low tide to launch a 7.5m alloy. It is quite rocky at the end of the concrete strip.  Other times beach is probably the easiest option. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2013 at 4:29pm
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

You might find the hills out from Titirangi to Huia a bit much for the ute then , best you come out for a drive. The beach is easy to use  three hours either side of high tide , the ramp is crap but you can on a low tide drive down the ramp and swing round on the rocks( small ,round ) to either side and launch that way , there are several 8.5m boats locally that use the beach and ramp.
On a really low tide you often have to drop the trailer off the end of the ramp , very rarely the bigger boats have to wait until there is an hours run of the tide before they can launch .
Flick me a pm if you come out for a drive ,I'll meet up with you and show you around . Rory
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Double Shot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2013 at 4:45pm
Double Shot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Speaking of which Rory, any updates on your build mate..? Was coming along rather well...
70ml of 90deg C water pressurised through 13g of roasted finely ground tamped coffee for 25sec's to make a distinguishing sensory hit called a Double Shot    
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote HULK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2013 at 4:58pm
HULK View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Thanks for the info guys. will head out there for a looksie some time soon I think. One more thing I was just wondering, where is the nearest weighing facilities from there?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2013 at 4:58pm
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

finances have stalled things as well as the manic rush of boats being built for christmas , the windscreen is in and the glass for the live bait tank but hopefully I'll be ready at the END of summer , waiting on a few photos from Harvey to post . Thanks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2013 at 5:02pm
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

At the end of the ramp the MSFC has a gantry to weigh the big fish , Ken Poulton is the weighmaster.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skidoggg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2013 at 11:01pm
skidoggg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

heres the gantry at huia . its at the top of the boat ramp . in the background you can see the boats lining up on the beach for retrieve . 2 hours either side of high is best on the beach  3 starts to flatten out and have to back in a bit further .low tide use the ramp
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote HULK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2013 at 1:50pm
HULK View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Sweet, so does that mean that the weigh master has to drive out there for the weighing, therefor they wont be overly interested in weighing fish unless they are decent size? Also is it just for MSFC members?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AlexFyssher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2013 at 2:39pm
AlexFyssher View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by here fishee fishee here fishee fishee wrote:

Sweet, so does that mean that the weigh master has to drive out there for the weighing, therefor they wont be overly interested in weighing fish unless they are decent size? Also is it just for MSFC members?

He lives at Little Huia
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2013 at 5:33pm
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by AlexFyssher AlexFyssher wrote:

Originally posted by here fishee fishee here fishee fishee wrote:

He lives at Little Huia

and usually does courtesy weigh ins - only problem is if he's away fishing , grab his phone no off the gantry when you are out this way , if he's out fishing he'll let you know when he's heading in .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote HULK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2013 at 1:19pm
HULK View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Thanks again
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote karm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2013 at 10:06am
karm View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Like most weigh stations, the gear is owned by the local club, & weighmaster is from Manukau Sports fishing Club.
I don't think Ken (weighmaster) has ever declined to weigh a fish for non members - if he is in the area.
But it is a courtesy weigh - a bit of koha/thankyou  would not go astray  

http://www.fishing.net.nz/asp_forums/uploads/53719/Legasea-contributor-avatar.jpg
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2013 at 5:56pm
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Ken likes a beer or two Thumbs Up 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skidoggg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2013 at 7:07pm
skidoggg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

shot out from manukau  today ( Monday 23 dec) filled up bin with snapper kahawai and gurnard  just south of the bar   then at bout 9  headed west in search of marlin and tuna . 50 m dead ,60 70still no sign of albies or skippies  or any bait   set the gear  incl 2 bungies  80 90 100 110  still nada , with the sw swell n chop we zigzagged our way north between 115 and 90  still nothing  headed in towards piha then back towards the bar  back into ramp by 4 . saw bout 4 com boats heading out  where we had just been   but no rec boats all day . water not blue blue  but temp got up to 21.2  round 90m in avo ( not sure on accuracy of temp guage as was on AFTICA but  started round 18.5 earlier in day so cant be too far out .very surprised not to see any alberts  out there was lookin forward to some kokoda alberta  style .
Page  <12345 33>