Boat Ramps Whangaroa

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote salty69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boat Ramps Whangaroa
    Posted: 03 Nov 2013 at 5:54pm
salty69 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I'm planning a trip to Whangaroa next April and was interested where I'd find the best boat ramps and what the beach launching was like. Haven't booked any accommodation yet but was keen on either Tauranga Bay or Taupo Bay but i guess that depends on the feedback to my initial query.

I'll be launching a Billfisher 237 with a Landcruiser, unless anyone knows of rented accommodation that includes a beach tractor.

cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mowerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2013 at 6:16pm
mowerman View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Totara North,some good cabin / motel accommodation on the Whangaroa side 10 mins drive to ramp.
Mill Bay Maungonui another good ramp
The People Protest

Actions Speak Louder Than Words    
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote jackel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2013 at 6:19pm
jackel View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Maybe give Capt Phil a call or pm him here. He knows a guy who runs a campground that has tons of room to park your boat and its less than 5 mins drive from the main Whangaroa ramp. Its not the ritz but but functional and cosy. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2013 at 7:01pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by jackel jackel wrote:

Maybe give Capt Phil a call or pm him here. He knows a guy who runs a campground that has tons of room to park your boat and its less than 5 mins drive from the main Whangaroa ramp. Its not the ritz but but functional and cosy. 

We stayed there early this year and only $25 per head/night and very good amenities
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2013 at 8:21pm
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi Salty, ok there are two main ramps here, Whangaroa is an all weather and tide ramp a little slippery at low tide drive past the Marlin Hotel and follow the road, you cant get lost at roads end is the ramp.
the other is totara north but about 20 to 25minutes from the Whangaroa camp ground if thats where you wish to stay,
at the camp ground they do have boat wash down available to you.

closest fuel would be Kaeo.
if the weather is blowing from the east tow up to Monganui [sp] and launch there, a good all round fishing area when you can fish else where.

good luck
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2013 at 8:27pm
the demon View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by kaveman kaveman wrote:

Originally posted by jackel jackel wrote:

We stayed there early this year and only $25 per head/night and very good amenities

Yip,stayed there a few times .Good place to wash the boat down at the end of the day.You need good security measures though, wheel clamp ya trailer etc.We came in one time  and the trailer was gone!Beuti place though mate and friendly people.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote salty69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2013 at 8:55pm
salty69 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Cheers team. Very helpful.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Betty Boop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 1:22pm
Betty Boop View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

We stayed at Whangaroa Holiday Park last new year and excellant,$44.50per night for the missus and I with a powered site and only 4ks from the boat ramp and I've just booked again for January. The camp chap is brilliant and **** loads of parking etc. We're taking the boat this time for 12days.Thumbs Up.....and the wheelclampLOL
Last week I joined an Anti-Social support group........They won't talk to me!

Papamoa
fi-Glass Viscount
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 10:08pm
MJ View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Last time I towed a boat up North I got accosted at the ramp at Mill Bay, Mangonui by some guy demanding I pay a season pass fee to the Regional Council. Does that still apply up there?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Betty Boop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2013 at 11:27pm
Betty Boop View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I hope you explained to him the benefits of sex and travel Wink
Last week I joined an Anti-Social support group........They won't talk to me!

Papamoa
fi-Glass Viscount
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote corosanta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2013 at 10:20am
corosanta View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by MJ MJ wrote:

Last time I towed a boat up North I got accosted at the ramp at Mill Bay, Mangonui by some guy demanding I pay a season pass fee to the Regional Council. Does that still apply up there?

My guess is that you were talking to the much celebrated 'PEDRO' who tended to make up his own rules as far as Mill Bay was concerned. He had no authority at all.

There are no fees at all for launching in the Far North (some 'local' beaches exempted as usual). Things are much more civilized now, although the Harder-master is a bit of a prickly sod I hear. He becomes much more genial when enticed with a beer.
Sitndrinkntalknbullman
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2013 at 10:31am
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

So no need to buy the Northland ramp launch stickers anymore Corosanta?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote corosanta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2013 at 11:09am
corosanta View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

That's right ESPRESSO. Most wharves are still user-pays and there is a whisper that the ramp fees may be re-introduced in the near future, I'll find out for sure this Wednesday at our end of year BBQ.
Meanwhile, happy free usage!
Sitndrinkntalknbullman