Epic peas in a pod

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (10) Likes(10)   Quote Boulder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Epic peas in a pod
    Posted: 28 Oct 2013 at 11:01am
Boulder View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Well finally the weather gods smiled and the forecast for Saturday looked great so our Boulder Guiding trip to Tairua was all on.
At the wharf we got out the Bait gear and set about our task as Carl had already been out and reported that bait sign was scarce as at the usual spots. It was very hard getting bait and we ended up with a mixed tank of perhaps 12 Jackmacs and 4 large piper and 20 odd yellow eyed Mullet. Now I have never favoured YEM as bait but beggars cant be choosers. They were to prove me wrong later in the day to my great delight.
Off to the puka spot that has been fishing pretty well over the last few weeks and down with some baits. I muffed the first bite well and truly striking hard like an excited first timerDead Lesson re learnt.
Then a real good bite and something stuck hard. Pulling so hard I thought I had jagged the bottom till the rod started bouncing merrily away.
Using an JM Enchanter 300 powered with a JM pe7 I was soon into getting some line back but it was a solid load. I was still surprised by what eventually popped as I had never expected to get my PB Hapuka from so shallow a spot so close to the coast.

Weighed back at the wharf at 42.5kg of goodness

The bite died off a tad so the call was made to move to the pins and wave some Metal around.
This was quite productive

Tizzys son with a typical Jig caught fish and his first ever on a jig

Atilla or Astis from f.net blooding his new slime green coloured Synit rod in great style.

Many more fish were released as the bite progressed
As a rest from Jigging we tried some Piper caught earlier that morning and whammo they lasted 10 seconds max at the depth that Carl called while the Jack macks took 30 seconds or maybe a full minute to be eaten.
A great run of fish and fishing like it used to be. Then something strange happened well strange for me anyway I got hit hard in 40m and away the fish went. Rod straight down and the pe5 reel on max drag I never even looked like getting a wind back till it hit the bricks some 100m below. Busted of Bugger. Now that has not happened for quite some time.
By not its later in the day and the call was back to the puka spot to see if one of the other boys could help to fill the bin.
Remembering and old trick of Rick Pollocks we cut the filits of one of the big Yellow Eyed Mullet and sent down just the head and frame with the guts waving around and produced this nice one to F.net member Tizzy.

Ahh that worked lets try that again and this time it was Atilla on the rod again.
Hooked up we had him squealing and grunting like a Girl especially when we teased him it must be a big shark to pull that hard> Talk about a happy chappy when he hauled this aboardBig smile

Again weighed back at the wharf this went the identical weigh to mine at 42.5kg
A comfortable ride back to the wharf and Tizzy was sent to buy a doz Beers to bribe Capt Carl into getting the fillit knife to work.
First a couple of length shots for the records

Mine was 145cm and just 3 cm longer than Atilla,s one

A phone call or two from Carl to some locals saw a train of wheel barrows arrive to take away the heads and frames so not one scrap of fish was wasted

the last spooky coincidence happened as Carl was checking the stomach contents of my fish to see what they had been eating when out popped an old crap covered jig. A bit of cleaning revealed a curved slider in a colour I have never seen before orangy red with a black back and and one full Lumo side.
Now strange as it may seem last year not too far for the spot we got those I also caught a 35kg model and that also had a jig inside of a type not sold here in New Zealand.
Roll on next year and lets see if that happens again

still had the factory hook attached.

A top day with a bin full of tasty fish to bring home we were a happy but tired crew on the homeward trip
Big thanks to Carl and Epic Adventures mate just like the Chessdale boys from down on the farm "you never fail to please"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tangi DnA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2013 at 12:15pm
Tangi DnA View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Some beasts there gents. Congrats to all.
I always take life with a grain of salt, ...plus a slice of lemon, ...and a shot of tequila.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote onthedrop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2013 at 12:23pm
onthedrop View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Noice
FEED THE WHANAU
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote carlostairua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2013 at 1:03pm
carlostairua View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Cheers Boulder, fun day out and good to see you guys brain some nice fish. That was one hell of a fish that got away too!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2013 at 1:22pm
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Awesome stuff Bouldie et all....wicked in fact!

Car pies Epic!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JoshW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2013 at 1:26pm
JoshW View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Awesome boulder, great fishing...the jig inside a puka thing seems to be a re-occuring phenomenon. Seen it myself a couple of times and seen/heard of multiple other occurances.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Corokingi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2013 at 1:44pm
Corokingi View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Awesome!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2013 at 3:23pm
Cbro View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice fishing!  Yup its amazing what they keep in there gut...I would have thought the lead would kill em.  
My mate recovered one of my diamond eyes from a 50kg bass.  I know it was mine from the crimps.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote J-D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2013 at 3:44pm
J-D View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Too meke Mr B Clap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NZTurtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2013 at 4:27pm
NZTurtle View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Congrats Boulder - good to see you are still PBing. Couldn't stop a fish with 60m under the strike, even with the Boulder collapse/lean technique - must have been a horse!Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Boulder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2013 at 5:38pm
Boulder View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

True Turtle kinda makes me wonder if it was a dirty big Puka and someone will haul it up and find my jig. Well high in the water column for a puka though
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2013 at 6:02pm
Fletch View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

"Thanked" maheeeeen
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skidoggg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2013 at 7:21pm
skidoggg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thumbs Up CHUNKY !!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishing Addiction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2013 at 8:42pm
Fishing Addiction View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Epic always seem to turn it on. Some solid skills there boulder
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jackel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2013 at 9:38pm
jackel View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice fish there Boulder and team!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2013 at 10:04pm
the angler View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That's cool a free jig with your pukka , I do think they wil follow a jig up the water column and finally catch it when you have a rest , they are more aggressive than people give them credit for , they love jigs and we love puka fillets .
It's a win win situation.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John_Ra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2013 at 10:53pm
John_Ra View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice Job Boulder & crew.... Wicked as Puka mmmm.
Dammm pe5 on full & yet the thing hits the bottom....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2013 at 12:21am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Frikken awesome! Just did an Epic seesion meself, great charter.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2013 at 11:03am
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

That's some very tidy puka fishing Boulder and team. Nice work!
Online...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2013 at 5:31pm
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

awesome well done all
Page  12>