Spin vs Baitcast

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spin vs Baitcast
    Posted: 23 Sep 2013 at 12:31pm
Moocha View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It seems alot of Aussies use bait casters for fishing these same lures but we seem to use spinning gear .
Curious to hear what people are using and pros and cons of both,
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jet_ski_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2013 at 1:01pm
Jet_ski_fisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

when soft plastic's first came out, it was the deal to use over heads only. but we stuck to our guns and now use spinning reels more so than OH reels. it easier to use for new people, when they get better they hopefully switch to OH's. but i like the spinning reels easy to use and flick out sb's when casing to schooling fish like skippys. some use nothing but spinning reels.. cause they do the job well so why switch :) each to there own ways i guess. OH's more chance of birdys OH easy to use i guess.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TIN TUB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2013 at 1:03pm
TIN TUB View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

light weights spin, 3/4 and up over head for me, 90% of the softbait fishing we do is with over head, more control more feel more fish (maybe) Just wish I could get a rell that will last the distance.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote noponies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2013 at 1:06pm
noponies View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Overhead for me. I brought one from the start and just practiced to I got the hang of it. Had a few birdnests at the start, but now, ever get them. Much prefer overhead reels.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote muchalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2013 at 1:10pm
muchalls View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Same, Curado in LH wind does the business.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishing Addiction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2013 at 1:21pm
Fishing Addiction View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Most of my soft plastic fishing is in shallows using 1/4, 3/8ths or 1/2 oz mostly so for me the line can come off the spool easier when letting the line sink naturally with spin
I think spin is easier to cast and I love the sound when line is ripping off
Because I am mostly wanting to flick the lure up or to the side spin seems to work for me. But I can see the ausies like to use floating baits so the baitcasters are better at pushing the bait down as you can put weight on top of the reel therefore the rod also.
Overheads tend to get birds nests for me when casting, but that may be lack of practice
If doing vertical fishing such as inchiku or cyclops then I can see the advantages of oh vs spin in terms of better contact on the drop
So I mostly use oh for jigging
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2013 at 1:24pm
Moocha View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Who fishes the hard baits on them - no so worried about SB's Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Finatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2013 at 1:38pm
Finatic View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ho ho hoLOL Check out the Lexa's bro!< id="adlesse_unifier_magic_element_id" style="display:none;">
What's the cheapest type of meat? Dear balls. They're under a buck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishing Addiction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2013 at 1:42pm
Fishing Addiction View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I say the best way to find out is to say yes to the t.a.s
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2013 at 1:48pm
Moocha View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I did years ago unfortunately....I am in TAS rehab LOL

Think the Lexa might be a bit big  bro thinking  a 2500 spin vs Chronarch Ci4... just thinking mind...