Well this is new...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Badfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Well this is new...
    Posted: 27 Aug 2013 at 9:44pm
Badfish View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Was about 30mm into an under bind this evening when BOOM! The bobbin holder is ripped out of my hands and goes flying into the wall behind my bench and the thread snaps. Not the end of the world, figure that was a bit weird and undo the thread that had been laid on the blank. However when I picked up the thread from the floor behind me (it bounced that hard off the wall that it bounced back about a metre ) it looked like this...

From the other side it's a bit easier to see whats gone on... 

I don't know how exactly but the lay of the thread seems to have dug in or maybe gotten caught on at the end of the spool and it seems to have dug into itself causing the side of the spool to just rip off.

I generally don't like working with met' black so I don't buy it in the bigger spools I usually work with. Has anyone ever had this happen with the small 100ud spools before? 
And for the record I don't use the spool to apply tension to the thread I use little weights on the bobbin holder for that and let gravity do the work. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Men In Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2013 at 10:26pm
Men In Black View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

told you not to hold it tight like you were spooling a reel..... Wasn't the Pro Wrap metallic black I hope... Got a spare if you need it.
www.synit.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ReelAppealLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2013 at 11:04pm
ReelAppealLures View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Men In Black Men In Black wrote:

told you not to hold it tight like you were spooling a reel..... Wasn't the Pro Wrap metallic black I hope... Got a spare if you need it.

Amateur ay.... Sheesh! 
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Reel-Appeal-Lures/300309486704362
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 6:14am
the angler View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Did you fill out a near miss report on your health and safety register ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fissure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 7:28am
Fissure View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Badfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 8:29am
Badfish View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I was only putting 30kgs of pressure on it... surely that's not too much LOL

Looks as though the spool was wound on, on the piss, when I pulled the label back on the side that was still attached thread this is what I found. Friday arvo job maybe ha

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Elpescador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 11:32am
Elpescador View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have had alot of knots and imperfections in the prowrap black and thier metalics lately. Seems as if quality control is down on the last couple of spools i have used. Dead
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Badfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 3:37pm
Badfish View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Elpescador Elpescador wrote:

I have had alot of knots and imperfections in the prowrap black and thier metalics lately. Seems as if quality control is down on the last couple of spools i have used. Dead

I must admit I've had a few spools that have recently become a pain to work with. Either the metallic is pulling away from the core, or is coming off the spool twisted up and knotted in parts. 
But it's still a lot nicer than anything else I've used post Gudebrod days.