GPS/Chartplotter

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ziggy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GPS/Chartplotter
    Posted: 24 Jul 2013 at 8:37pm
ziggy1 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Just got my new boat, (first boat) and am going to purchase some sort of GPS/Chart plotter. the question is do I or should I invest in a purpose made marine system or would an Ipad/Iphone or Android equivalent with an appropriate app be ok? If yes can you suggest a good app? I fish the Hauraki.
cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Muzzfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2013 at 9:20pm
Muzzfishing View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

IMO go for a marine GPS / chart plotter thats set up in your boat.  A lot of guys go for separate units but for a smaller boat nothing wrong with a combo one that does both.  That is what I have  a Raymarine A57. Get all the safety gear first then add on as you need (want) the extra bits.
    A Good Skipper Keeps the water on the outside of the boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote pkmonockus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2013 at 7:26am
pkmonockus View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I was in the same position last year and on a limited budget. 

I recommend looking on Trade Me as there can be some great used unit from people simply buying new toys. If you only want maps and not a fish finder then using a smartphone (only if you already have one) with the Navionics app works very well and a cheapish option. However, I presume you'll want a fish finder so then I'd recommend a dedicated FF/Chart combo + it'll be water/salt proof. Lowrance put out some nice units. Make sure you go for a colour screen.

Like Muzz said, get the safety gear first!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ziggy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2013 at 8:46am
ziggy1 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

cheers for that. should have mentioned boat came with a fish finder and VHF but no chartplotter/GPS. totally agree with both you and Muzz re getting saftey equipment first.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Structfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2013 at 8:56am
Structfab View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I use to use handheld GPS a longtime ago, lost 2 at sea over the years, I recommend a fixed unit
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2013 at 9:22am
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If you already have a sonar/fishfinder - you could get a separate chartplotter. I think separate is definitely better. I have a small garmin 400C sonar, low price about $450, that's ok.
And a Garmin handheld gps Montana 600. It is excellent. 4" touch screen that is clear and readable in all light. The Garmin chartplotting works very well I think. It can be removed and carried easily, for outdoors use, and for auto use in a vehicle mount. In the boat it sits in a marine mount, connected to the boat 12v, so it stays on all the time without using its battery.

It has one major advantage over specialized marine chartplotters - having a magnetic compass. Without experience of a chartplotter, the significance of that probably wont be apparent. Basically, it enables the boat icon on the chart, to show exactly up to date in the correct direction - which helps a lot in orienting positions of other things, particularly rocks!

Its the top Garmin hand-held, not cheap, about $1000 in NZ - I bought it from US online - cost in $NZ
Montana incl delivery by Youshop $493
chart NI from PBtech $143
marine mount PBtech $58
Total $694
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Whippa-Schnapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2013 at 9:32am
Whippa-Schnapper View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

What boat do you have? How much dosh would you be happy to spend..? do you already own a Iphone/pad or android phone? lots of options really and a lot of it is personal preference. the new Raymarine dragonfly unit looks like the business for a 5m,ish boat I think..

http://www.smartmarine.co.nz/products/fishfinders/fishfinder-combos/62562/dragonfly-fishfinder-gps-combo-with-gold-nz-chart/details/

keen fisho
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote RSV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2013 at 8:43pm
RSV View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I have a combo fish finder charplotter unit (6inch) but think the screen to small on split screen so use my galaxy tablet as chartplotter , works great with mx mariner.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ziggy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2013 at 9:25pm
ziggy1 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

have a 5.6m ramco. i dont have an Ipad but thought it might be a good option because its really versitile, movies, music etc , more than just a chart plotter. i just need to know really that it would do the job just as well as a pupose built one, or close to.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Whippa-Schnapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2013 at 11:24am
Whippa-Schnapper View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

If the boat already has a half decent fish finder then a tablet is certainly an option. or a second hand plotter off tradme. All personal preference mate. You could get away with a app on your phone and some wiring to insure the phone/tablet battery doesn't go flat.
If 1200-1300 bucks doesn't scare you the dragonfly unit I mentioned above would be an awesome solution Wink
keen fisho
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2013 at 7:05pm
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

However - most cellphones and tablets  wont be waterproof, any hint of salt water on them will probably kill them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Time_Bandit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2013 at 7:36pm
Time_Bandit View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

whats your budget ? check out marinedeals.co.nz
“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”