Raglan report

Page  <1 6162636465 72>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catch'EM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2019 at 9:34pm
Catch'EM View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Yeah, looking at the charts up till Friday you would've though Sunday was the better day, but then it changed. You have to be quite reactionary to fish out there, be prepared to change plans right till the night before.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catch'EM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2019 at 9:44pm
Catch'EM View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by Muzzfishing Muzzfishing wrote:

Originally posted by FizFisho FizFisho wrote:

Ive been wanting to cross the Raglan bar for some time, so next March Im going to give it a crack in the RIB. Of course will try to get some local knowledge first and hopefully somebody experienced to follow or crew with.

Any majors or tips to watch out for with the channel and the bar itself?
Just launch at Manu Bay no bar to cross, pick a good day when the swell is down. I use swell map and wait till its a meter or less. With crossing the bar you have to get through the Joggle first, and have heard it can be worse than crossing the bar.            A couple of boats got turned over a couple of weeks ago crossing the bar on a good day crossed on low tide and found some big waves.

After launching at Manu bay for 20years changing crew circumstances are making it harder and harder to pull off, so thinking might have to start crossing the bar soon. That's good to know, sounds like would have to cross at half tide or above, no exceptions , even on a 1m or less swell day. I've been over the bar with someone else on a 1m swell day and it was not breaking across , as long as you kept on the right line and did nothing silly it was fine.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dave0308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2019 at 6:43pm
Dave0308 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I think the big thing about crossing a bar even on those good days of under a meter is to pause and watch for a bit as even on the small swells they vary in size slowly increasing to when you get between 3 and 4 big ones compared to the the av on that day that can break, especially on out going or low, then it goes back to smaller sets. Well that's what i have observed over the last 24 years at Kawhia, and you don't necessarily have to come in or out right on the indicators inside the harbor or just follow the last track on your chart plotter, observe what is happening and pick your spot to cross as they (Bars) are continually changing. 
Good luck and enjoy the fishing..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2019 at 12:13pm
tjm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Try and attend the Raglan Bar course (not the pub) first, even for the experienced its a good insight to any bar crossing. I tend to stick to 2m swell or less if possible, mainly because my other half gets sea sick. Go out with some one that is experienced and not a fool if you can, the course shows you how to sit inside and check the swell pattern and to pick your time to cross. Many people get fooled by the joggle and think that that is where the actual bar is. Its is quite a way further out and if you ever do cross at low tide on a flat day you will be surprised how shallow it is at the actual sand bar. I have crossed other bars in a few different places and I find Raglan is quite straight forward compared with others. I have crossed a few times when it was breaking all the way across but picked the wave and timed it right, slowed down at the crest of the wave and then powered on, no issues. However I did see a boat follow us one day and he made the mistake of turning around and nearly got cleaned up by the next wave. The coats guard bar courses and U tube clips cover all this quite well. Good luck !
Cant beat hunting and Fishing in N.Z
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote tjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 8:55pm
tjm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

late morning start due to low tide at 9-00 am launched at camp ground, across bar at 11-30 am Out to 30m mark near Carters, no luck just a few kys Motored our to 45m in the increasing sw chop, slow start but then caught some good gurnard, two makos then 2-00pm snapper up to 650mm Filled the bin then back across the bar. Productive afternoon with some nice fish 

some good size snapper caught, noted they had been feeding on small crabs in the sand.

We don't usually keep this many but Paul needed some to feed the family and friends.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catch'EM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 9:02pm
Catch'EM View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Had a great day today, first time going over the bar as the skipper. The stars all aligned, with the small swell, high tide at 3pm just when we would be coming in. I watched the coastguard's specific video on crossing the Raglan bar about 6 times over the past year and couple times again this week to make sure took in every detail. My cousin who I went over with before had done the course and everything he did/said to do matched the coastguard's video. Things like marking an observation point when just outside the bar was really handy when returning later.
We got 28 snapper in 2hrs at about 24m, a couple were 45 and 46cm. Crossed back in right on the high tide and the bar was flat as, and joggle zone non existent.
However, just because it was fine today, does not mean it will be fine to cross any time, any tide, well aware of that. But happy now that on a nice 1m swell day with a mid afternoon high tide to come back in on, don't need to go to Manu Bay. It sure was nice to cruise in to the calm harbour with fish bin full and have such an easy retrieve.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Catch'EM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 9:09pm
Catch'EM View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by Catch'EM Catch'EM wrote:

Had a great day today, first time going over the bar as the skipper. The stars all aligned, with the small swell, high tide at 3pm just when we would be coming in. I watched the coastguard's specific video on crossing the Raglan bar about 6 times over the past year and couple times again this week to make sure took in every detail. My cousin who I went over with before had done the course and everything he did/said to do matched the coastguard's video. Things like marking an observation point when just outside the bar was really handy when returning later.
We got 28 snapper in 2hrs at about 24m, a couple were 45 and 46cm. Crossed back in right on the high tide and the bar was flat as, and joggle zone non existent.
However, just because it was fine today, does not mean it will be fine to cross any time, any tide, well aware of that. But happy now that on a nice 1m swell day with a mid afternoon high tide to come back in on, don't need to go to Manu Bay. It sure was nice to cruise in to the calm harbour with fish bin full and have such an easy retrieve.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muzzfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 11:10pm
Muzzfishing View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Looks like a few were hitting Raglan today, me included. Launched Manu bay only a small wait in the queue.
Went to 48m as found some birds working ,only Ky so didnt stay for long. Went out to 58m and we were soon bringing the Gurnard in 2 at a time.  Best Gurnard fishing I have had for a while. Had a frantic 45 mins as the tide started coming in, then it was slow and steady for the rest of the day a few Snapper 2 Tarakihi and 1 trevally  and a visit from a Mako shark, think it scared the fish away but thats fishing. Back home by 3.30pm.
    A Good Skipper Keeps the water on the outside of the boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2020 at 9:42am
tjm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well done Muzz good to get gurnard again there were some good sized ones too Made up for the crappy conditions Hopefully the westerlies will turn to east soo and the albys will arrive We saw a couple of work ups on the way back
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2020 at 10:31am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I watched the coastguard's specific video on crossing the Raglan bar about 6 times over the past year and couple times again this week to make sure took in every detail.

CCTV coverage of Waikato Bars
https://go.idefigo.com/#/login
use barcameras
PW barcameras1
 you can even go back and watch yourself going out and back in.
 Check the state of the bar before leaving home for the last hr..
 If chops up , watch bar.. If have Cell coverage inside or on the outside....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muzzfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2020 at 1:29pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by tjm tjm wrote:

Well done Muzz good to get gurnard again there were some good sized ones too Made up for the crappy conditions Hopefully the westerlies will turn to east soo and the albys will arrive We saw a couple of work ups on the way back
re work ups only seen Kahawai in the works ups had the big gear ready just in case,.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catch'EM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2020 at 10:36pm
Catch'EM View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

I watched the coastguard's specific video on crossing the Raglan bar about 6 times over the past year and couple times again this week to make sure took in every detail.

CCTV coverage of Waikato Bars
https://go.idefigo.com/#/login
use barcameras
PW barcameras1
 you can even go back and watch yourself going out and back in.
 Check the state of the bar before leaving home for the last hr..
 If chops up , watch bar.. If have Cell coverage inside or on the outside....

Thanks mate, great resource that I did not know existed.Looks like the Raglan camera could be rotated to point a little north, where the boats are crossing is almost out of shot on the right.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 8:47am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The Waikato region harbour masters are very approachable onto it guys.
The 2 white land markers on the Waikato bar wher just getting to the stage of a paint..
 Mentioned , and was done.
 A camera dropped out with a possible weather window coming up.
Rang about 7:30  fixed by 9:30.
 Next time took a week.. due to the repair ppl , not the HMaster.

Have a chat to them...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catch'EM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 11:41am
Catch'EM View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Ignore that.  The bar camera is pointing exactly where it should. I was doing what everyone does on the water -assuming the bar was closer in than it is.
The bar breaking today makes it easy to see.
I have written some code to overlay the bar location and where you should cross on the image files.
Next to build an api to auto-scrape the latest image on command. Then can write a basic android app to display the latest image with lines overlaid, on my phone.
Don't want to have to navigate that UI on a phone in a rocking boat on the West Coast!
Won't be easy as a big javascript engine generates that UI and serves the images. Not a simple http:// wget job for from static location.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catch'EM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 11:42am
Catch'EM View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 8:49pm
tjm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Looking good for tomorrow, heard that a good size Tuna was caught off Kawhia today ??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2020 at 7:08pm
tjm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Another good trip out today, bar was nearly flat, out to 50m at around 11-00 am Steady fishing for a couple of hours, gurnard, trevs and snapper up to 550mm.Water temp was about 18 degrees and no skips or albs around yet. lots of KY unfortunately, back across the bar by 3-00 pm
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smurfatnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 5:50pm
smurfatnz View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi all just checking is the Manu Bay fishing competition on the coming weekend Auckland anniversary ?

Dose anyone have any info on this eg what day sat or Sun ' price where do you weigh in ect
Crank that smoker up and lets get cooking
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muzzfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 9:35pm
Platinum
Platinum

Went out yesterday Sunday , seen lots of Dolphins at 45m. tried the Gurnard patch again but not so productive this time but still caught some good sized ones. Biggest Snapper went 4.9kgs rest were around 38 to 42 cm. 50km round trip used 19lts gas another good day out West.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 11:53am
tjm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Last trip out for us revealed a good number of Dolphins too. A few good snapper, no skips.
Mate was out trolling and got a few Albies at 65m
Page  <1 6162636465 72>