Raglan report

Page  <1 6869707172>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2021 at 4:14pm
tjm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Was going to but the crew cant make it, look forward to your report
Cant beat hunting and Fishing in N.Z
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Muzzfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2021 at 10:45am
Muzzfishing View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Good day out yesterday went to 45m as thats seem to be the prefferred depth. Very slow morning went early to beat the rush, plenty of parking. Fishin didnt come on untill 11am about then it was all on Snapper two at a time. in my haste to replace a trace put a trace on that had 3 loops/hooks and up came  two Snapper and a good sized Gurnard. Biggest Snapper was 72cm and biggest Gurnard 42cm. Measured them for a club comp. Back at the ramp by 1pm.     Was one of the flattest days I have seen out West, virtually no swell and no wind. Lucky it was over cast in the morning would of been a real burner other wise.  "Bring on the game fishing"
    A Good Skipper Keeps the water on the outside of the boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2021 at 2:26pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

sounds awesome MF !! Good sizes too boot!!! Are you in the running for a prize?
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muzzfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2021 at 5:01pm
Platinum
Platinum

Are you in the running for a prize?
Contest runs for 3 months so I doubt it, with all the clubs, getting there comps cancelled due to covid. The Waikato Sport Fishing club are running a measure comp.  Its open to all financial club members, easy to enter  as you just take a pic and enter it on line.  Got to be in to win.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2021 at 12:17pm
tjm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Good report Muzz, interesting with Raglan I often find the fishing comes on around 11-00 am for some reason. You certainly got the pick of the weather, turned to custard now.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2021 at 1:23pm
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Muzzfishing Muzzfishing wrote:

Are you in the running for a prize?
Contest runs for 3 months so I doubt it, with all the clubs, getting there comps cancelled due to covid. The Waikato Sport Fishing club are running a measure comp.  Its open to all financial club members, easy to enter  as you just take a pic and enter it on line.  Got to be in to win.
Hi Muzz, nice report from Yesterday!! I heard about Your clubs Comp through a mate. Looked into it as with two other recent comps cancelled I was entered in Joined Myself and wife Heidi up and entered! Got to keep you Raglan Fisho's Honest! If it wasn't for Brian Mellow helping me out how to download app I probably would of flagged it. Got there in the end though. If the covid rules are good for  prizing giving at your club rooms when comp is finished look forward catching up then.Beer  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muzzfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2021 at 4:27pm
Platinum
Platinum

Hi Geoff, 
Good to have you onboard.  New club members I havent even checked to see if I am working when the prize giving is held. The app did taking a bit to work out now have it on my phone so very easy to enter. Will be keeping an eye on your posts and pics.                                                                                          Have a good Xmas Mate and all the best for the new year. BeerBeerBeer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote tjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2021 at 5:13pm
tjm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

This morning was the day according to swell map so we set out a cross the bar 7-00 am this morning and headed off to Gannet Rock,

Not much swell but a bit of the northerly chop roughed it up a little. Got to the Island and there were a dozen or so boats mainly bottom fishing plus a charter boat. We set up for jigging for Kings and a smallish boat picked up a rat close to the rock. Juri who was fairly new to jigging for kings thought it was luck the last time she tried but it wasn't long before she landed a just legal jobby. We jigged here for a little longer and I landed a very nice snapper on the 250 gm jig which was completely unexpected. No complaints from me. there didn't appear to be many kings here, so we moved out a bit and I found a pin with bait fish and what appeared to be a good number of Kings. Down with the jigs, Juri hooked one at the same time as me but hers was a very good one which after a battle where she thought she couldn't hang on longer, reefed her and broke the trace at the jig. We landed 7 or 8 more just legal ones and decided that was enough for the morning. Headed back with just a quick stop for some gurnard for a friend’s pot and back across the bar for lunch. Nice trip for the year ending.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muzzfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2021 at 6:51pm
Platinum
Platinum

Nice TJ would of been out there myself but ended up workingCry.
I hear there has been a couple of Strippys caught in the last couple of days.  Hopefully the weather lines up with my days off.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote RogueOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2021 at 7:38pm
RogueOne View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Also out yesterday at zero dark thirty and out to 50m but slow fishing with plenty of good sized gurnard and many small snapper and 3 small kings just under 75cm.
Headed over to the 21 and saw about 15 boats already there, joined them jigging but only small rats around.

Headed into 35m and much better fishing, 40-55cm size snapper and a nice 63cm moocher, spoilt by the arrival of a 3m bronzie that chased a fish to the boat and then ate some of the tackle from the bottom.
Fish disappeared after that and nothing else caught after moving to 30m or 25m so came back in and on trailer by 12.30pm
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2021 at 11:52am
tjm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yeh Muzz, often happens to us too, good days for west coast are often far and few between , having to juggle work and play hard at times, hopefully the weather will settle soon and we can get out againCry
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2022 at 10:23am
tjm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Lots of boats out this morning according to my mate who is over from Perth, if the weather holds we are going tomorrow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote tjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2022 at 8:27pm
tjm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

As planned rocked up to the camp ground ramp this morning, one other boat out. Easterly wind turning to north east later in the morning, bar breaking at 1 to 1.5 m at low tide so easy crossing. We shot out to Gannet rock, looked around for kings and baitfish but not much happening there. We dropped some baits and hooked a few 400 to 450mm snapper but it was pretty slow, motored back to 55 m towards Rags and caught a few good gurnard and more snapper. Nothing large and certainly not great fishing for Raglan but a nice morning out all the  same. Trolled for Albs or Skippies but nothing doing today. Wonder how the masses got on yesterday?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lizid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2022 at 7:49pm
lizid View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

had a report of big school of skippies at 60m due west of rags so did the long haul over there from Waihi on Monday. No sign of skippies until a single hookup a couple of km from Gannet. Lost at boatside. Another closer to the island - also lost. Was hoping for 10 plus from my 4 bungee plus shotgun setup. Back to the camp ramp where the outgoing tide caught this solo out and fixed the stern to the bottom while getting wagon & trailer. Tough on your own with a biggish boat. Only 2nd time there and first on my own. Did not feel too bad about needing the assist 'cos 3 nights previous when in the middle of loading onto trailer at Bowentown had to reverse out and go rescue (tow) a breakdown in. What goes around etc etc. Thanks to those guys (jetski & kayak). Won't be alone next time though.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2022 at 8:54pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Lizid your a legend. Crossing the country on a whiff of a fish school hot spot, solo at the camp ramp too. Impressive and with that attitude you can only get results. Did you drag any plastic ? With the skippies about I would have that far out. I’ve seen large stripies jumping around my boat in 28m off the bar at rags 
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lizid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2022 at 10:14am
lizid View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Had plastic ready to go but on my own with a buggered back (tree fell on me years ago) that could well be too much to chew. Really needed to replenish my (skippy) bait & burley stash. No luck unfortunately. Would make the trip again with fresher intel and an offsider. Anyone over there keen and well informed? Morgan 6.3 extended .4m with 200 Etec G2. Would consider a 2 day effort - sleep in boat at motor camp.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Ho Dee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2022 at 11:45am
Ho Dee View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

mate and I went out last Sunday with the same intent to stock up on bait. Started trolling at about 45m nothing till 62m out in front of the bar got onto a school and landed 23 before they went down. We had pink lures on the port Bungee and a rod and a black one on starboard bungee,pins were getting hit  so changed the black to an identical pink and still nothing on that bugee,weird.  Stopped at 50m for a snapper fish on the way in, one at 35cm was all to be had there so moved into 30m got 12 nice sized snaps and 3 gunnard  before we started to get taxed so headed in. Nice day out. Was a bit strange fishing in a boat I sold to my mate 2 months ago.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lizid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2022 at 1:37pm
lizid View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

That lot (skippies) is what I was looking for on Monday. Went to 65mthen turned to Gannet. Empty ocean for me. Did not bother with a snapper fish 'cos it's snapper city over here. Would not even call it fishing - more a (fat) snapper harvest. Same every year from 2nd week in Feb thru early May.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2022 at 2:21pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Lizid, I am surprised, and impressed by your X country trip to nail skippies. But do you not get them there? Must do? Albies any good?
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lizid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2022 at 9:03pm
lizid View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Normally I do get them over here though every year it gets harder. So far this year 5 mini skippies. Never seen them that small - did not think them even made that way, only a tad bigger than medium bullet tuna. Flesh soft and too mushy for bait and the 5 barely covered the bottom of one of my burley save buckets.I am not the only one to strike these - must have slipped thru the trawler nets. If we could get the easterlies to give it a rest I'd have another go out here - see if any normal sizes have shown up. Early April can still produce. Albies - I don't mind a couple for eating but no good for bait or burley. This time last year got 5 albies at once off north end of Mayor. After sorting out the shambles (boated them all) just put 3 bungies back over. Nec minute 3 at once. Flagged it after that. Just as well my mate's dad loves them 'cos he got all but one.
Page  <1 6869707172>