How Big?

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Gowest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How Big?
    Posted: 21 Jun 2013 at 3:05pm
Gowest View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Any guesses?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Surface Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2013 at 3:26pm
Surface View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

****ing massive!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2013 at 3:50pm
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

gotta be the grand + even if the perspective is skewed.....5 HUNDY KEGS?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2013 at 4:20pm
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Yep sure looks Grand, sight and weight
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2013 at 4:35pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Wow what a horse...any story to tell the class GoWest?Clap
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lance@driveline.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2013 at 4:40pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Far too big to get on the back of El Donna  ! ! Thats for sure ...lol Confused
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ELEVAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2013 at 5:25pm
ELEVAR View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

monster! no info on this?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gowest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2013 at 6:05pm
Gowest View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

F*** me that is monster sword, no info on the weight..... Id say way over a grand easyShocked!!!
Found it on SFC forum,
"Was harpooned on the Georges Bank in the mid 1980's.
Boat was the Irene+Alton, skipper Bernard Raynes, fishing out of Owls Head, Maine.
The guy behind fish is Paul Molyneaux, author of "The Doryman's Reflection", nostalgic little book covering swordfish harpooning industry, now defunct of course."

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2013 at 6:12pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sorry changing subject if above was a harpooned fish...Cry
...anyway back in the 60's I read about a giant Broadie caught then that was alledged 20 footer and this fight was over 24 hours and in the end they got the swivel attached another line and rod and reel and fought for many more hours...

They eventually lost the fish after maybe 28 hrs...this was in the BOP...

Any old hands know more or can contribute to this?Thumbs Up

Lethal - Eric do you remember hearing this dit?
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gowest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2013 at 6:23pm
Gowest View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

That's a crazy story Catchelot, 20ft what weight would that equate to?
Be  interesting to hear more bout that storey.
I wonder what kind of fish some of the comms have caught in the past.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote muppetshow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2013 at 7:33pm
muppetshow View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Tht fish playd for ova 30hrs in th 60s had a story written abt it in a book I think called bluewater spirtfishing in nz from th late 70s or early 80s, hooked on a bait
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tone E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2013 at 9:15pm
Tone E View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

A few missing letters in that post muppet. Makes it really hard to read (th abt ova). Back to school with you
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote muppetshow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2013 at 10:58pm
Silver
Silver

Tone sorry to correct yr mate catchelot again but as said above, most ppl understand simplified text, I will keep it simple for u, " there was a book in th late 70s or early 80s called something like bluewater sportfishing in new zealand that describes the fight with a giant swird in the bay of plenty on a bait" if I was at home I could open book and scan it for you
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2013 at 11:01pm
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The fish was fought for 32 hours and towed the boat about 50 miles out to sea, it was thought to be a broadbill estimated at 1500 pound.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2013 at 11:23pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Quote from the Guinness Book of Records 22nd edition 1975:

"The longest individual fight with a fish is 32hrs and 5min by Donal Heatley (b. 1938, New Zealand) with a broadbill (estimated length 20 ft and weight 1,500lbs) off Mayor Island off Tauranga, North Island on 21 - 22 Jan. 1968.  It towed the 12 ton launch 50 miles before breaking the line."

I lived in Tauranga at the time and recall updates being given on the local radio station.

This is not the first time I have mentioned this on this site and as I recall BA was of the view that the fish was a black marlin and not a broadbill.  I can't remember the details, too long ago.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wind Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2013 at 5:52am
Wind Up View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Thanks for your info GW & Al - One assumes there are more fish this size around.....crikey
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tone E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2013 at 9:16am
Tone E View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by muppetshow muppetshow wrote:

Tone sorry to correct yr mate catchelot again but as said above, most ppl understand simplified text, I will keep it simple for u, " there was a book in th late 70s or early 80s called something like bluewater sportfishing in new zealand that describes the fight with a giant swird in the bay of plenty on a bait" if I was at home I could open book and scan it for you
aktl e ivnvr mtm
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2013 at 10:24am
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Fish Addict Fish Addict wrote:

Quote from the Guinness Book of Records 22nd edition 1975:

"The longest individual fight with a fish is 32hrs and 5min by Donal Heatley (b. 1938, New Zealand) with a broadbill (estimated length 20 ft and weight 1,500lbs) off Mayor Island off Tauranga, North Island on 21 - 22 Jan. 1968.  It towed the 12 ton launch 50 miles before breaking the line."

I lived in Tauranga at the time and recall updates being given on the local radio station.

This is not the first time I have mentioned this on this site and as I recall BA was of the view that the fish was a black marlin and not a broadbill.  I can't remember the details, too long ago.

yeah mate the one I was talking about was after this one,,,,,, hooked the same area, I had just started high school and was listening to it on the 1ZB fishing report every morning at 745am
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2013 at 2:35pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

that is a monster of a fish, guess we will never know how many biggies are under the boat at times,
besides the huge Boardies and Black Marlin that are hooked and never landed around Mayor Is,
there were the huge Tiger Sharks of yesteryear which we dont seam to have anymore that going by the lack of reports from this area,
yet Karp reported from the back of Gt Barrier seeing a couple of monsters Tigers feeding on a whale carcass,
so maybe we still have a few around just changed location.... 
Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote muppetshow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2013 at 4:31pm
Silver
Silver

aktl e ivnvr mtm[/QUOTE] witty retort took awhile to think of?
Page  12>