How Big?

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tone E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2013 at 4:36pm
Tone E View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by muppetshow muppetshow wrote:

aktl e ivnvr mtm
witty retort took awhile to think of?[/QUOTE] Yeah had to sleep on it for a while
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2013 at 6:28pm
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Lethal Lethal wrote:

that is a monster of a fish, guess we will never know how many biggies are under the boat at times,
besides the huge Boardies and Black Marlin that are hooked and never landed around Mayor Is,
there were the huge Tiger Sharks of yesteryear which we dont seam to have anymore that going by the lack of reports from this area,
yet Karp reported from the back of Gt Barrier seeing a couple of monsters Tigers feeding on a whale carcass,
so maybe we still have a few around just changed location.... 

they have always been there [barrier], people just dont fish for them like they used to
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2013 at 8:41pm
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Some guys I know do a fair bit pof fishing at a place called the Queen Reef just outside the reserve at Mayor Island. This reef is the head of a trench and is about 90m deep. They fish on anchor with baits at various depths, and get a few marlin plus heaps of big makos and occasional threshers. They have hooked some huge fish which they have never seen fighting for several hours on 80 and not make any headway before eventually busting off having never even stopped them heading out to deeper water. They have no idea what these are, Tigers, thresher, blacks, broadbil or Bluefin Tuna who knows.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mangre 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2013 at 10:17am
mangre 2 View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

shove some sinkers in a kahawai  as BA said methods have changed, but seem to be going in a full circle
Beautiful is better than ugly, Explicit is better than implicit, Simple is better than complex, Complex is better than complicated.      http://oceanmobilemap.blogspot.co.nz/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Deasy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 11:33am
Deasy View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

The fish was a broadbill, I know as my father Les Deasy was aboard with Don "telling jokes" and keeping him "hydrated".

He reckon Don ended up with a permanent case of "tennis elbow" in both arms.
And that they eye-balled the fish twice, both times at night, and on one of those occassions it came for a look at them.

I actually still remember the shark Dad bought home from that trip and putting on the kitchen table.

I still have the original NZ Herald newspaper articles with a photo of the boat in action taken by a BBC news crew. I will locate these and post them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 6:29pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Not sure how you dragged that post up but thanks for doing it.
Can't wait to see your response.

And sad the decline of such quality info and banter in this section.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Page  <12