Manukau Harbour & West Coast fishing

Page  <1 258259260261262 288>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mejobloggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2022 at 2:14pm
mejobloggs View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Can you catch these from land?

On a mission to catch one of everything haha

Haven't seen one of those yet but maybe cause I'm land based

(This was meant to be a reply to smudges photo)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2022 at 2:52pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Yes they can be caught from the shore although I've only seen one baracoutta caught off the rocks at Whatipu. They are very much a winter fish out west although the odd one gets caught throughout the year.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote v8rebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2022 at 5:50pm
v8rebel View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Best thing to do with a 'cuda is bait, big snaps love it, especially if its been salted down, and in and out the freezer a couple of times to get a bit stinky.....LOLLOLLOLLOL
Tip of the day LOL
Tight lines all !!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2022 at 2:37pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I weighed a few fish for some club guys yesterday. Harbour looked flat as. Seems pretty easy to get thos 50cm plus jobbies right now. The biggest fish I've weighed this week was a 5.5kg snapper. One guy I know was telling me his boy got a 5kg trevally last week. Now that is impressive!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gurnard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2022 at 4:23pm
gurnard View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

That’s a stonker of a Trev! I caught one yesterday, good pan size off the bricks near Huia.

Also put a hook right through my finger and ended up at A&E.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2022 at 6:24am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I've used this method, it works very well
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2022 at 7:26pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

what time are you on tomorrow morning at H&F for the fishing chatty chat about gurnard
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2022 at 9:26pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Hi banana, we will be there from 9.00am. Be good to catch up. We'll stay until the interest wanes, so about 5 mins Big smile. No seriously we'll at least be there until 12 but probably later.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote billfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2022 at 12:00pm
billfish View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Yeah sharks certainly can be a problem out west. Tope are most likely to respond to surface burley, spiny dogfish not so much. The other problem over winter of course are the baracoutta but seldom catch more than 3 or 4 on a big day in the winter. Must have caught 20 once though. Big smile

This pic looks like it was a harbour fish but yeah, another great west coast adversary!

Ugly critter that one.  The fish is a bit of a mongrel too.  Big smile

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2022 at 2:56pm
Platinum
Platinum

A very long chatty with Mr Smudge, good meeting you mate & passing on some good intel about carrots & the muddy in general

Its very different in a kayak, but the principals you guys use on the Awhitu side will work on my side (Blockhouse bay to Huia)

And the dirty ol freezer burnt kahawai.... I must try that
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2022 at 9:00pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Really good to catch up Ruby, may you get lots of carrots.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2022 at 9:02pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by billfish billfish wrote:

Ugly critter that one.  The fish is a bit of a mongrel too.  Big smile
Thanks Billy. Do you still have nightmares about cheese sandwiches?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2022 at 9:13pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Really good to catch up Ruby, may you get lots of carrots.
Ruby, who`s that
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2022 at 9:22pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Hehehe Rudy sorry!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote billfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 1:00pm
billfish View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The memory of it has left a scar on my soul.  My boat on the other hand has never quite recovered.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 1:18pm
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Hey Bill - long time no see and welcome home - the forums can always do with a dose of scintillating wit and smashing repartee. Don't let Smudge give you any crap but what's this about cheese sandwiches??
Online...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote billfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 4:48pm
billfish View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I might be able to search that up.  "Something evil this way wafts", or should so have been labeled.  How far back do youi keep this stuff?

It was one of my 100% true-fact yarns relaying the horrors and hazards one can encounter if taking Smudge fishing - and he decides to bring his own lunch, or so he called it.  A thoroughly murky business Grunter, what that man can put in his gob - and digest.  I give you the drum that man just ain't right.     
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 5:47pm
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Hmmmmm. I'm getting a sniff of a decent yarn and likely something worthy of it's own thread as we wouldn't want to taint this one with something that Smudge has shoved in his mouth...  leave it with you Billy.
Online...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 7:13pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I deny everything. Apart from leaving a cheese sandwich on Billy's boat. It was in 2004. Let it go! Ahhh nahhh, let's revisit Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 7:14pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Apparently they smell pretty bad after 10 weeks
Page  <1 258259260261262 288>