Manukau Harbour & West Coast fishing

Page  <1 256257258259260 289>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2022 at 8:59pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Tasty as well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2022 at 9:22pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Kandrew Kandrew wrote:

Tasty as well.

Yes, despite popular opinion they are tasty. Need to be fresh and filleted straight away. I haven't caught one in years but have fond memories of catching them as a kid on handlines. I last caught one about 3 years ago on a softbait off Ponui Island, out from Kawakawa Bay.  Crazy but true! Having said that I've only targeted them as a kid and I've probably only caught 12 or so.

We used to use a punt on the spring tides as kids and shoot arrows and throw spears at them as they mooched around the mangroves in Omaru creek in Glen Innes. Zero result but eventual we got them on fishing lines Big smile
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gurnard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2022 at 9:36pm
gurnard View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

All the best in your new chapter Macskipper Enjoyed reading your outer harbour reports all these years. Make sure ya pop in here from time to time and let us know how the Nelson fishing is going.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 9:13am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep smudge.. they are , like many other species not generally caught on hooks because, as you say they eat weed, off rocks. We used to get them diving around the managwhai estuary reefs  as kids with Hawaiian spears.
I rem eating them.. and that was back when trevs where only good for bait, and family being rather surprised at the taste.

I would not suggest ppl run out to the wet fish shop and use for bait... yep the snapper jumped on them...but , especially this time of year, they will jump on anything out off the coast.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote Fenien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 12:49pm
Fenien View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Some nice conditioned fish around at the moment,feeding up hard & not too fussy on what bait you use.These are a few from yesterday morning,taken just after the turn of the tide on skipjack cubes.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 3:57pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Nice work from off the beach Fenien!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mejobloggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 4:35pm
mejobloggs View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Any recommendations for an uncrowded land-based fishing spot west/manukau?

I'm based central auckland.

Hoping to avoid crowds but don't mind some people.

Talking to people and they say west land-based fishing is super dangerous and can get swept out to sea etc so I'm pretty nervous and hoping to find a safe spot
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 7:30pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice feed of fish there Fenien, also good to know the fish are around first part of the incoming, have always preferred last of the outgoing

mejobloggs
Browse thru these videos, mostly around the muddy / west coast land based fishing, mostly over the warmer months, then out west coast beaches over cooler months
https://www.youtube.com/c/DarkmoonAngler/videos
You could try French bay, about 300m past the club house either side of low tide, aim for the channel, also try Whatipu
Have a chat with the guys at Norcross fishing, on Railside ave Henderson
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mejobloggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2022 at 11:01am
Bronze
Bronze

Cheers banana, those are some awesome videos. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2022 at 5:08pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

Will always appreciate and never will forget the time out you gave us when our son was very sick, well died couple times, for all those months..
 All the best John.
Thanks Steps and all of you on here, appreciated the intel and no bull****.

Be careful out there its a very unpredictable harbour and bar - I will miss the challenge but am ready for easier fishing in Tasman Bay!
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2022 at 7:51pm
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Best wishes John
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mejobloggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2022 at 10:04pm
Bronze
Bronze

Went fishing off the beach in Orpheus Bay near Huia Point Lookout.

Lots of small fish jumping everywhere getting me excited but didn't see or catch any big fish.

I got a rather small kahawai on a lure about 1m from the shore which was a surprise.

Sent him out as live bait, no takers.

Came home with 0 fish but had fun 👍

Not sure if it was deep enough.

Really keen for my girlfriend to catch a 40cm+ snapper. So far our record is 36cm lol. Just gotta find them
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2022 at 1:25pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Was out 645-1045 this morning Armour bay
It was a 400m trudge thru the mudflat to fish the outgoing spot, had to stop a few times to get my breath back, when I stopped, I sunk to ankle deep mud, almost lost my balance twice trying to get my feet out to move on, it was hard going
Paddled to my spot in 2m, no current, didn't feel right, went to the channel edge in 4m, no sign, didn't feel right
Low tide 830ish, running out of time..... all I could think of... a few days ago, we invited friends over for a fish dinner tonight... so I txt the boss, better get a lamb leg for a roast instead
Sat in the main channel in 8m, nothing, altho saw a bit of sign
So headed over to the banks, got there just on 8am, bit more sign in 5-6m, nothing happening on salted pillies
Thru out squid bait, fish on, then a good 20min bite that stopped right on low tide... txt the boss to cancel the lamb
Explored around & marked some spots to try next time out. Went back to where I started, a bit of sign there, thru a bait out & got a kahawai for the smoker.... had enough of fishing by then, paddled in, scaled some fish for tonights dinner
Just 1 snap on salted pillies, rest on squid, water temp 17.7deg
Interesting tho, the snaps were picking away at the pillies which I thought were mackerel bites on the banks, the squid were getting wacked
37 39 42 46 48cm snaps & a kahawai all on straylines with 1/4oz sinkers... bloody good day out, I honestly thought I would get skunked today
About 4 pillies cut to half baits & 6-7 squid.... the second time no undersize snaps

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2022 at 1:37pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Excellent! Good to hear those little fish have buggered off
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote seahunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2022 at 2:39pm
seahunter View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Opening morning for duck season, so what better thing to do with a forecast like this but go fishing Big smile
Very similar story to BananaBoat (minus the mud!). Out from Cornwallis 6:45-10am. Out to our new favourite spot in ~7mtrs annnnnnd not a lot happening. Was also starting to think we might get skunked.....
Then a trevally took my straylined pilchard, (and managed to get tangled round the anchor rope Angry). Caught a little KY, and sent him out as a livie (no luck). Very quiet..... 
And then the switch was flicked and it was fish time. VERY few small snapper, just good 40, 45, 50 + cm fish. 
I managed to catch another really good trevally on a softbait - went 50cm. Such a good fight on the light gear! 

Kept 5 really good snapper, 3 nice kahawai and 2 great trevally. The water looked clear (for the Manukau), and there were birds everywhere. Plenty of small bait fish in the harbour, the kahawai we caught were spewing out little fish.
What a stunning morning out and surprisingly not very busy on the water.

As far as gear goes - I only fish with straylined pilchards over the change of tide. We have another rod with a Gurnard rig that has squid on. Softbait ready to go, usually for Kahawai. Never use burley. Been a loooong time since we've come home empty handed (tempting fate now).

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2022 at 3:42pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

.....then a good 20min bite that stopped right on low tide..

The number times notice that from both east coast, harbour and off the west coast. Not always, but very frequent. Out on the east coast and in harbour , when happens I have gone and fish over high flat pancake areas, away from the channel or edges, on the drift then things fire up again.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote FlawOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2022 at 6:42pm
FlawOne View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Not a huge fan of keeping large snapper but this girl swallowed my secret Gurnard rig whole in 6m up the tail end of Ropers yesterday. Only managed 1 small Gurnard as the snapper were just too aggressive on the outgoing tide.

Inner City Slayers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mejobloggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2022 at 7:17pm
Bronze
Bronze

Why don't you like keeping big snapper? I'm new to fishing, I thought bigger is better
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote FlawOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2022 at 10:06pm
FlawOne View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Bigger is better from a sporting angle but I find they don't lend well to my style of cooking/preparation so prefer to return them to fight another fight when they are viable. Each to their own I guess.
Inner City Slayers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2022 at 9:57pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I had a call from Arron earlier in the week. 'Dad, I want to take the boat out Friday'. OK, sure thing Arron. Well despite my strict instructions for a reccy on gurnard spots, what did he and his mate Rumbold do? They went snapper fishing!

They got plenty though, bringing home 12 snapper (only kept the bigger ones) 2 gurnard and a little trev, Rumbold's first.
Biggest fish was 15lb, not too shabby. Imagine what we would have caught if I was on the boat Big smile

I have to admit, they aren't bad for harbour fish. They got a swag of 50cm plus jobbies. 

Page  <1 256257258259260 289>