Manukau Harbour & West Coast fishing

Page  <1 246247248249250 288>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2022 at 6:28am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Bugger found a job so worked thursday,thinking if the e/se stays as it should 10/15knts going papakura channel where "smudge"suggested earlier,4.00pm ish low so thinking again this might be a good time to try,thoughts.
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2022 at 7:41pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If you take notice of METSERVICE you missed a good day out on the Manukau.Arrived Te toro about 11.30,4 trailers.Went up the Papakura channel,not far enough as didnt find "smudges" leaning marker.Stopped at the first red marker after the tower red. 20m,plenty of sign,out going tide but no weed.Lost count of how many sub 30 we put back .But after 2 mullet called it.Off to Mako pt in to the 4/5 m mark.and plenty of sub 30,after 1kg squid we got 2 respectable snapper mid 300s.By now tide had turned so started heading home.Red marker short of matakawa?boat ramp plenty of sign in 5m so used the last of bait for another 2 mid 300s. Cast a few softies out to be pulled off hook or bitten in 1/2.So Mre C got 3 and I got 1,never mind day,East 8/10 at most. Up at ramp spoke to a boat who had been across bar for nill snapper but kahawai.Hope the easterly kicks off on Sunday on the AC explorer yacht.
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2022 at 9:38pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Call me next time you're at Te Toro Paul. I'm just down the road
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote Schecter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2022 at 7:10am
Schecter View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Caught this beaut off the boat ramp. Fishing shallow at 1-2m. I love catching fish at this range, it’s so much fun. Had to take advantage of a small fishing window, as the wind is very gusty at the moment. This fish feed 2 families. Glad to have the place ticked off my manukau go-to list.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2022 at 11:06am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Wow, any guesses on the length or weight of that fish Schecter?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Schecter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2022 at 2:01pm
Schecter View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I forgot to add the length. It measured at 57cm. Very fat with a stomach full of crab 🦀
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 9:34am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Be around 8lb at a guess, nice healthy looking fish!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 9:37am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Guys just be aware if you're using the Waikato River bar to access the west coast, the camera is either off target or the channel has moved significantly. The Harbour Master has been notified.

Update, the channel has moved significantly so don't rely on your GPS marks or the marker poles
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2022 at 9:25am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Bar has been moving every time go out for last yr or so..
Do not hook left early...
 There is what may appear a 2nd channel to the left of a bit of a bar in the center... when tide in and low swell...
Do not short cut that way...
Also heading down from the last river marker take it easy, channell has narrowed up and do not go too close the the beach as used  (not on cammeras)

One tends to stay reasonable distance from the shore break in case the 1 in every 1 1/2hr big swell comes in but hug that side....but now watch just as get to the bar swell,there is a shallow spot that comes out from the beach building up

River entrance has been silting up for a good yr or so now, ( I mentioned in old posts)I will not go over below 1/2 tide even the channel being narrow its also shallower.

Even couple yrs back or any river bar one NEVER relies on old tracks....I have yet to have 2 consecutive trip tracks match the previous track..or match the previous trips channel markers a week later, out of Hoods to bar..

Coming back in, always have a person looking back and also on the starboard quarter...Because as come in the SW swell then comes on that quarter, which is why ppl get flipped, broach ...So also need to have a reasonable distance from the shore side... EVEN when think inside the  bar... that every 1 1/2 hr big swell can come across the bar near side on , when think just 'safe inside' too close to the beach have a choice of go straight up on the beach or broach.

It is not these basic waikato bar things that cause capsizes, but ppl who have not taken time to find out about the bar or simply over confident, crossed X number times make them experts and ignore the basics there.

The Harbour master has been very on to it down there on a regular basis for at least the last 4 or 5 yrs

I Will only go out when tide is at least at the 2m
Im always in no later than 1 1/2 hrs after full..about 2.8 on small tides and closer to 3m on big tides.
And swell is under 1.25m (tops) and wind is under 8kn from NW around E  to SSE.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2022 at 2:04pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Fished harbour entrance this morning 2 of us 18 Snapper biggest 48cm then 44cm X2 smallest kept 34cm.  In good condition.  Choice!
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2022 at 3:29pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

River entrance has been silting up for a good yr or so now

Does this have anything to do with the reduced flow because Auckland is taking 150 million litres a day from the river, and will it get worse now they have consent to double that amount?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (4) Likes(4)   Quote Tonto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 4:14pm
Tonto2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

We launched at high tide yesterday afternoon, after last year we thought we had figured out the harbour kingis but this year the result have been disappointing and we could only raise one baby rat. Plan b burley up on the outgoing into evening in ropers. Ended up with 7 nice snapper biggest 44cm, but a nice feed. Had crispy skin snapper for dinner. 👍
slowly going where everyone else has already been
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2022 at 7:20am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Good to see the harbour starting to lift its game. Nice catches there Mac & Tonto.

I went for a flounder session the other night. Didn't even see a small flounder. Part of our group went out a little before us and got 3. I have to say I've never had much success there in previous years, it's just convenient.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2022 at 8:05am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Kevin.S Kevin.S wrote:

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

River entrance has been silting up for a good yr or so now

Does this have anything to do with the reduced flow because Auckland is taking 150 million litres a day from the river, and will it get worse now they have consent to double that amount?

Have discussed this , asked around as has been on my mind for the last couple yrs.
We are told, (offically before rainfall central nth island/waikato dropped off while back) the amount of water Auckland takes is insignificant..
In saying that IF Hamilton needs to pull more water then Aucklands quota gets reduced..
Which to me, and my commonsense, sounds rather conflicting to Aucklands quota being insignificant... maybe propaganda BS again???

Regardless thu, nature naturally tends to fill up lakes into swamps, and slit over streams, river mouths over time. And considering this long period of low rain fall, Auckland or not,  certainly doesnt help.

I think of huge concern thu, is when the waikato regon gets dumped on, dry ground, the shallow entrance to the river and further back up into the delta, the will be a lot of over flow and flooding.. attributed to Climate change... rather than the foresight to keep the entrance/bar open, and maybe the Cities Auckland and Hamilton mainly, water take..

Dont recon the bar will close off or become un navigable thu, just a little more caution, knowing ..( not think), where channels are and watch the tide and swell heights.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2022 at 10:34am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

The water level would be rather low through lack of rainfall.  Probably needs a decent flood to clear it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2022 at 3:17pm
Tonto2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Smudge, I have put my new flounder net in 3 times this summer for 0 flounder. Twice up the rapids and once by the Waiau pa ramp, zilch.
Also been for a night time spear but not even seen a baby flounder.
Is it my deodorant ConfusedConfusedDeadLOL
slowly going where everyone else has already been
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2022 at 5:29pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Tonto2 Tonto2 wrote:

Smudge, I have put my new flounder net in 3 times this summer for 0 flounder. Twice up the rapids and once by the Waiau pa ramp, zilch.
Also been for a night time spear but not even seen a baby flounder.
Is it my deodorant ConfusedConfusedDeadLOL

Hehe that's the word on the street Martyn. I don't feel so bad now.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2022 at 5:48pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Maybe LACK of deodorant.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2022 at 6:29pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Alan L Alan L wrote:

Maybe LACK of deodorant.
Alan

Probably true in my case Alan. I smell like turkeys and gurnard.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2022 at 7:03pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nothing wrong with turkeys and gurnard. sniff sniff. :-)
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Page  <1 246247248249250 288>