Manukau Harbour & West Coast fishing

Page  <1 218219220221222 288>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 12:35pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Were you fishing around Destruction Gully MacSkipper?
Not today have done before though.
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gurnard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 5:04pm
gurnard View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Just a question...

Has anyone launched their boats lately at Huia on the dead low?

Will make the trek there on Saturday morning as we are looking at trolling for stickfaces.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gurnard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 5:07pm
gurnard View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by cirrus cirrus wrote:

nice fish mac skipper. And to see fish like that now,what will it be like in March -April,peak season.
Also nice to see trevelly featuring in catches again.

Judging from last year....it should be even better! We had some amazing fish in that period. Hopefully join the 20lb club. Oh how Id love to do that for the first time in the Manny.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 5:31pm
Titanium
Titanium

Yes but I launch from ramp as a fyran 440 over low, today was a big tide and was ok but if a bigger boat they launch from beach and need a 4WD.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gurnard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2021 at 5:21am
gurnard View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Ahh yeah cheers. I have a 4wd. Will try beach at low.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote r20b_pp@hotmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2021 at 5:55am
[email protected] View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Launch more to the left of beach. Or you may still be there when I launch this arvo
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote gurnard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 10:01pm
gurnard View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Its been a long day and I am shattered.

Woke my son (8) up this morning at 0430 and had a quick breakfast before heading out the door at 5. Left Tuakau and towed Grumblebum to New Lynn to meet my two mates and head out to Huia for our first real shot at game fishing.

We got there bang on low and still managed to launch at the beach. Lucky my boat doesn't draw much water though. The ramp was already full with a que, and there was about 30 trailers already parked up.

We crossed the bar and headed out to the blue water. The conditions were pretty snotty to be honest. It was a hard ride out to the 70m mark but it settled down a tad as the morning progressed.

Lures in the water at the 100m mark and we were off. Within 20 minutes we had our first two albacore on board and we were feeling as though we would be in for a full on day....

....four hours later with nothing else to show for it and a hell of a lot of gas burnt we retreated with our tails between our legs back in closer for a bottom fish. We ended up with 9 gurnard and a few nice snapper within an hour before we decided to head back over the bar.

We stopped off at destruction gully to try a bit of stickbaiting but no joy. Water was nice and clear though.

Back at the ramp late afternoon exhausted!

Unfortunately did not see any stick faces today especially seeing how hot the bite has been this week. I don't have outriggers or flash gear though but we had some decent looking plastic being towed. Maybe next time!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CrayZfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2021 at 7:44am
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

That's a great day Gurnard. Don't be disappointed. You had a plan and you managed to bring home a nice feed. Seems about 10% of boats out are having a marlin encounter. So try again best is still to come. We'll done. How'd your 8 year old go. That's a huge day for him
Why choose either diving or fishing when you can do both. Besides crayfish tail is very good bait!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2021 at 7:47am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Everyday is different out there
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote gurnard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2021 at 9:22am
gurnard View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by CrayZfish CrayZfish wrote:

That's a great day Gurnard. Don't be disappointed. You had a plan and you managed to bring home a nice feed. Seems about 10% of boats out are having a marlin encounter. So try again best is still to come. We'll done. How'd your 8 year old go. That's a huge day for him

He is fishing mad! I don't often go without him. Hes been into it since he was 4 so is used to long days on the boat.
He managed his pb snapper yesterday so he was stoked.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2021 at 10:50am
Titanium
Titanium

Fished outer harbour out early before wind and sea got up - 7 Snapper biggest one 40cm a bigger Trevally and a Kahawai.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gurnard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2021 at 8:53pm
gurnard View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nice catch mate!

I'm struggling to find different recipes for all the fish ive caught lately. Its been a cracker of a summer so far.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rusty360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 9:27am
rusty360 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by MacSkipper MacSkipper wrote:

Fished outer harbour out early before wind and sea got up - 7 Snapper biggest one 40cm a bigger Trevally and a Kahawai.

Great haul there!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote AlexRecurve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 4:07pm
AlexRecurve View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yeah great catch.  Haven't had a trev for a while myself.

We crossed the bar yesterday and had a reasonable day out - better than the last couple.  Most of the snapper we caught we spawned so it seems they are back on the feed. We were plagued by kahawai throughout.  Started at 48m and headed in to 10m - same issue - always a good problem, to have and can't complain.

Highlights of the day were the mako that launched itself fully out of the water in the charge to hit a hooked Kahawai and then a small thresher shark I hooked and brought boat-side.  What a stunning fish - a deep iridescent purple.  A new species for me and fought ridiculously hard for a wee fella.  Blistering fast runs when it turned tail.

Wind was pretty nasty by the time we headed for home.  Luckily it was much more NE than the NW they predicted so was never an issue, just pretty choppy and a long wet ride home.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Carbon Caster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 11:59am
Carbon Caster View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Out in the tinny again on Sunday. The missus couldn't stop catching them. Me, not so much. I still had to fillet them all tho...

Sabiki says No
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 7:05am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Need some advice.Thinking of going out Sunday to Papakura channel around or opposite airport,anything I need to know,fish the holes or banks?incoming or out going?? squid or mullet bait.sw 10/15knt or best to fish waiuku channel?
Thanks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 9:20am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just been looking at the forecast/tide
Small full around 8am low around 2pm.
If going from Sth end waiuku, up you are good to shortcut from around 4am to full and full to around midday still watch for high spots coming up.

Westerly Wind looks to start to get up around the 10am for the day, so once you get out of the waiuku channel heading east it will get a bit choppy out there.
 Not a day I would be going for a fish away from lea of land.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote Tonto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 1:40pm
Tonto2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Felt like a quick trip last night. Launched at 6.50pm back on the trailer 8.10pm. Luv nz
slowly going where everyone else has already been
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Tonto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 1:41pm
Tonto2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

slowly going where everyone else has already been
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 2:16pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

where is that ramp "Tonto2"?
Page  <1 218219220221222 288>