Manukau Harbour & West Coast fishing

Page  <1 213214215216217 288>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 12:30pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Fished Sat morning outer harbour early before wind picked up - restless when we arrived and getting up and choppy by 10am when we left - quiet - 2m shark early on scared everything away - 1 32cm Snapper and 4-5 undersized thrown back.
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Judokapont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 6:47pm
Judokapont View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Can any of you kind gentlemen ID this mangler of my flasher rig please ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 7:27pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Possibly a big tope. Tail fin obscured ,makes positive id harder.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Judokapont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 7:35pm
Silver
Silver

Cheers Cirrus , I was out early to avoid the wind and I think this chap was haunting my spot and scared the fish off !
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 8:14pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Cirrus is correct it is a tope. Also called school shark. That looks like a decent sized one. As Cirrus says the tail is quite distinctive, kind of like a tail on top of the tail. Another distinguishing feature is the nose, they have a clear looking kind of see through nose. 
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Judokapont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 9:04pm
Silver
Silver

Cheers Smudge 😎🤙🏻 It did have a wicked tail
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 9:14pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Hehe good tope, they go hard eh
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Judokapont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 9:36pm
Silver
Silver

Bluddy good fun !
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 6:10am
Titanium
Titanium

He didn't have my hook and sinker in his mouth?  Mine busted off just by boat as I tried to get hook out...looked similar but a bit bigger - same effect on fishing too scared everything off.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Judokapont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 7:56am
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by MacSkipper MacSkipper wrote:

He didn't have my hook and sinker in his mouth?  Mine busted off just by boat as I tried to get hook out...looked similar but a bit bigger - same effect on fishing too scared everything off.

Didn’t see it in his toothy smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (4) Likes(4)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2020 at 10:49am
Titanium
Titanium

Got out this morning outer harbour quick fish 13 Snapper, Trevally and Gurnard - no sharks no Kahawai!
Biggest Snapper 57cm 3.3kg.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2020 at 11:22am
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice catch john. well done. Always satisfying to be out among the elements , the sea ,and come back with a great catch.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2020 at 1:04pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by cirrus cirrus wrote:

Nice catch john. well done. Always satisfying to be out among the elements , the sea ,and come back with a great catch.
Thanks pretty unexpected shot out 2 of us and calmer than forecast after pretty windy few days - I think fish were hungry and fed up with wind to!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2020 at 3:48pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Got out this morning outer harbour quick fish 13 Snapper, Trevally and Gurnard - no sharks no Kahawai!

Wow solid catch there MacSkipper! A friend of mine who is one of my 'spies' I use for my fishing reports messaged me last night for some fishing tips for today. Unfortunately I'm on dodgy internet and my phone was flat so didn't get his msg. 

He didn't need any help from me managing a similar catch to yours without the big boy. He didn't get a gurnard but got one kahawai. I had no chance of fishing today, having to do a bit of prep around the place for my son's Crate Day. Right now I'm listening to some groovy 90's sounds while a bunch of nice young people play beer pong and mini golf. Had to use a bull skull as a putting hole as I was to lazy to dig one Big smile

It's going to be red hot on snapper in the harbour late summer/autumn this year I'm guessing!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2020 at 4:25pm
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good Catch JohnThumbs UpI'm seriously jealous!! Haven't had fresh fish since last post, Been rough as for a month or so down here. Beer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2020 at 4:51pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Snappa Geoff Snappa Geoff wrote:

Good Catch JohnThumbs UpI'm seriously jealous!! Haven't had fresh fish since last post, Been rough as for a month or so down here. Beer
been windy alright harbour has been full of white caps recently and bar looked nasty today, I reckon it might stay that way through Xmas New Year which means sitting at home drinking and eating waiting...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Judokapont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2020 at 10:02pm
Silver
Silver

Excellent Haul right there
Post Options Post Options   Likes (10) Likes(10)   Quote seahunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2020 at 8:21am
seahunter View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Out from Cornwallis 6am yesterday morning. Fish were biting from the first drop. Lots of small snapper, kahawai and Jack macs around, heaps of sign on the sounder.
Had a whole pillie down that was getting hit - and then a freight train came through and smashed it. Could be a shark i thought, but pretty unlikely given all the fish/bites.
Not wanting to get to excited, but it could be a kingie.... hmmmm.....

10mins, and a good scrap later - my first legal Harbour kingie!
Good size fish, no monster, but it went a touch over 12kg and 1m+ in length.
Left at 6 and was back home by 9am having a coffee. 4 snaps 35-40cm, a Kahawai and a kingie. Not a bad mornings effort!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2020 at 8:42am
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What a classical picture. A fisherman,his dog and a kingi. Simplicity of perfection.
That has to be as good as it gets, a top morning out.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FlawOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2020 at 10:37am
FlawOne View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice work guys, great to see the ol Muddy producing the goods and congrats to seahunter on your first legal mud marlin. We are heading out from Cornwallis this afternoon so will post up a story later on.
Inner City Slayers.
Page  <1 213214215216217 288>