Manukau Harbour & West Coast fishing

Page  <1 209210211212213 288>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gurnard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2020 at 10:09am
gurnard View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Too right Smudge.

Those hard fishing days make the good days that much more enjoyable anyway.

Nice work Seahunter. I lost a bit of gear as well and my main method of fishing is usually in the deeper channels with a lot of lead. That means I am losing bloody expensive 12 to 30oz sinkers. Always dabbled with using different rigs to try enable me to keep my sinker and just lose the hooks but the problem is a ledger rig seems to be the best setup for snaps in the channel for me. I try to look at it this way...if I am losing more than 2 or 3 sets of gear and the fishing is slow it's time to change it up as once the sharks show up the other fish usually scarper.

My crew completely cancelled on me for tomorrow so it looks like I am doing a solo mish over the bar for the first time if I am feeling confident enough. If not I will be staying in the harbour and may head up to the heads anyway. Since I got my bigger boat capable of decent miles I find my fishing mates are no longer allowed out to play as much 😔
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2020 at 11:34am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I fish much lighter than that in the harbour. I much prefer to strayline in the shallows. Seems to work

Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gurnard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2020 at 2:47pm
gurnard View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

The beauty of the harbour is there is more than one way to skin a fish 😋

You heading out tomorrow Smudge? Sounds long overdue!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2020 at 3:10pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Yes I am planning on going over the coast, launching at around 6.00am. Hope to get out again in the afternoon to take my brother for a harbour fish and scallop session. Smudge  is my call sign and I'll be on CH5
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gurnard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2020 at 3:45pm
gurnard View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Mate I may actually follow you out if that's all good....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 3:21pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Gurnard followed us out over the west coast in his sharp looking LazerCraftthis morning. A full tank of gas and maybe 3kg of bait and 30kg of ice.

We went to 58m south of the harbour entrance and boom. First drop of the baits and hooked up within 5 seconds of hitting the bottom A nice fish of 7 or 8 kilos. Six more in quick succession and then it went quiet.

Up anchor at 11.30 with our 90 litre bin full with 20 snapper 2 gurnard 2 kahawai and one of the biggest tope I've seen - except we didn't put the tope in the chilly bin, it swam away for another fight on another day. We got some nice fish in jigs today but bait was the winner this time.

Great day only spoiled by one of my sons not being able to come due to a surfing accident last night. He broke his jaw in two places. Weak excuse Big smile

Nice catching up with you Gurnard, was a beautiful day out there and it just kept getting better

Post Options Post Options   Likes (4) Likes(4)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 5:21pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2020 at 8:25am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice fish Smudge, gutted havnt got my new 150L underfloor tank installed in time. Held up sourcing 3/8 fuel hose for the breather hoses.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marko 44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2020 at 9:45am
Marko 44 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Went over the bar yesterday, 4 snapper four kawhai
Could see kingies on the surface trolled a lure bites but no takers
Biggest snapper 56cm
Caught 2 at a time as well
Went out to 46 straight out from bar
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2020 at 10:45am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

wow, cool to see kings out there
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gurnard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2020 at 11:17am
gurnard View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Bloody awesome day out yesterday. Thanks to Smudge I had someone to follow out for the first time. Awesome to meet ya.

Ended up with a full bin of nice snaps, 2 gurnard, one Tope which was released, 1 Kahawai and a Coutta kept for bait. Biggest snapper went 7kg at time of catch.

There were a lot of boats inside the harbour yesterday. Perfect conditions.

Off to look for a new vac packer today.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2020 at 12:20pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good reports, thanks.
Will be out from Kawhia on 14th so hoping weather holds.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2020 at 3:15pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Saturday 3rd October 7:15am to 1pm

Came over to the Manukau because the ramps on the Waitemata side would have been manic and the high tide was about 10am. 

Perfect day in the Manukau harbour weather-wise, but would the target species play ball?  Launched at Huia off the beach, no crowds, absolute doddle even at dead low, and headed round the corner to the Waterfall area and fished a couple of spots close to the cliffs around 10m deep.  I stayed out of the big eddy in front of the falls.  Nada.  Back to Huia to a shallow spot that has produced gurnard in the past.  More nada.  Bit closer to Kaitarakihi in about 8m, more nada.  Out on the inner edge of the Huia bank is a Spot X that is supposed to be good for trevally, about 15m.  Released a medium shark and kept a KY for bait.  Crossed the bank to the outer side and fished in about 15m.  Released a few KY and busted off by a brute that took a big KY bait.  The end of the 30lb main line was rubbed through, the trace wasn't long enough.  Back to the trevally spot as high tide approached and left just after full tide - Nada.

So an empty bin (family don't like KY so it serves us right).  Used mullet, pilchard chunks, squid and KY strip baits.  Used berley when the tide wasn't too fast (about 2 thirds of the time).  Always had 2 rods with tarakihi terror 3/0 recurve hooks and small baits (pilly chunks, mullet and squid) hoping for gurnard.  To start with had the sinkers at the top so the baits were on the bottom.  Later changed one of them to a dropper rig with the sinker on the bottom.  Fairly predictable result - more KY.  Also had 2 straylines way out the back with 8/0 or 10/0 circle hooks and bigger strip baits.  These caught sharks and a couple of KY.

This continues a dismal run.  Usually have most difficulty getting a feed in the spring.
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2020 at 3:55pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Far Quirk Far Quirk wrote:

Saturday 3rd October 7:15am to 1pm

Came over to the Manukau because the ramps on the Waitemata side would have been manic and the high tide was about 10am. 

Perfect day in the Manukau harbour weather-wise, but would the target species play ball?  Launched at Huia off the beach, no crowds, absolute doddle even at dead low, and headed round the corner to the Waterfall area and fished a couple of spots close to the cliffs around 10m deep.  I stayed out of the big eddy in front of the falls.  Nada.  Back to Huia to a shallow spot that has produced gurnard in the past.  More nada.  Bit closer to Kaitarakihi in about 8m, more nada.  Out on the inner edge of the Huia bank is a Spot X that is supposed to be good for trevally, about 15m.  Released a medium shark and kept a KY for bait.  Crossed the bank to the outer side and fished in about 15m.  Released a few KY and busted off by a brute that took a big KY bait.  The end of the 30lb main line was rubbed through, the trace wasn't long enough.  Back to the trevally spot as high tide approached and left just after full tide - Nada.

So an empty bin (family don't like KY so it serves us right).  Used mullet, pilchard chunks, squid and KY strip baits.  Used berley when the tide wasn't too fast (about 2 thirds of the time).  Always had 2 rods with tarakihi terror 3/0 recurve hooks and small baits (pilly chunks, mullet and squid) hoping for gurnard.  To start with had the sinkers at the top so the baits were on the bottom.  Later changed one of them to a dropper rig with the sinker on the bottom.  Fairly predictable result - more KY.  Also had 2 straylines way out the back with 8/0 or 10/0 circle hooks and bigger strip baits.  These caught sharks and a couple of KY.

This continues a dismal run.  Usually have most difficulty getting a feed in the spring.
appreciate the report both good and bad.  Harbour was quiet Sat fishing wise high tide midday so fishing mid morning 2 of us 1.5 hrs 1 38cm snapper 10 Kahawai only a few big ones no sharks.   Launched cornwallis crazy busy and an idiot parked behind me so I could not get out had to drag his and my trailer around and do a 10 point turn...
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2020 at 5:38pm
the demon View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Went out Friday from Shelly beach , only went 2 N.M down the channel . Picked up some nice fish in 9 meters when the current was pumping , later on after the turn of the tide anchored up in 18 meters and got a nice 5.2 kg snapper on 3 kg line . Got a good bun full with a 40 cm gurnard that had been eating crabs

The gurnard that is full of row was today off Waiake beach Torbay , fishes 9 meters only 700 meters from the Morrings with the kids , got 4 snapper and 2 gurnard in hour and headed home . Never seen so many trailers parked up lol.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote the demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2020 at 5:39pm
the demon View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gurnard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 1:37pm
gurnard View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nice report Far Quirk. Pity the fish didn't play ball but this time of year inside the harbour is pretty difficult being in between the main winter season and before the Snapper predominately move into the harbour in numbers. They are there if you know where to look. I prefer the deeper channels this time of year through till next year but others do really well in shallows. I also prefer fishing the change of tide especially outgoing.

Keep persisting. I find the muddy is an interesting place where I seem to have one or two lackluster days and just when you least expect it, she fires on all cylinders. Others do well in the Huia area but I have not really had much luck there and prefer the upper reaches.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote seahunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 4:46pm
seahunter View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Good reports team, thanks - always good to hear how others got on. And well done on heading out wide gurnard I'm keen to do the same in my new boat, but was asleep at 6am :-)
We went out on Saturday and had a weird old day. Fished over the high tide at midday, and had mostly big FAT kahawai all day. Ended up keeping one smaller snap and 5 kahawai. About ~30mins after the tide turned, what little action there was just stopped dead. Magic day to be out though - and plenty of boats around.

Cornwallis was a mad house - including some idiot that had parked in the "no parking" area used for getting a trailer in/out at high tide.... 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 9:58pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

The harbour is almost always hard to fish 2 or 3 days of a fu ll moon. The exception is an evening low tide. Fish from low into the dark and you will generally be rewarded
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Judokapont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2020 at 8:50am
Judokapont View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Got up super early Sunday morning to launch before the low tide at 06.30 , launched a 05.00 with my youngest and his mate on board , we were over Spot X in the Wairopa channel for sunrise which coincided with low tide , this didn’t bother the fish any , we took four nice snappers and three nice trevs , flasher rig with a bit of Pilly n squid doing the damage. Home and hosed by 9am
Page  <1 209210211212213 288>