Manukau Harbour & West Coast fishing

Page  <1 205206207208209 288>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 5:27pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Went out for a run over the bar yesterday... Crew member from here and another who never crossed a west coast bar...And who a lot of you will know..very experienced fisherman and a regular crew for some yrs now.

Tues was going top be the better swell, slightly , but coming back in was going to be a little too close to sundown.
Any way headed down the river, and poke our nose out a little to check if looking ok.. little bigger swell than expected but no waves breaking across.. pulled back and checked in with CG.
It seems no one ever posts when things dont quite go right.. every bar cross , ever bad instance just doesnt get mentioned...yet over a few beers we hear about it .. usually by crew
Headed out, and in front a bloody wave decided to rise up in front...Got to love power on a bar crossing.. quick acceleration , up the wave, bit of miss calculation , inexperience timing pulling back on throttle  and dropped over the other side, rather than a slide down.
Engine cut.. brain thinks, dont need this $%^&.. turn key..
 And once again knowing have well serviced reliable engine a must.. fired up...and next wave climbing..
Quick acceleration again and just roll of that one and the next, motor another 100m and Check in with CG..
All good.
Oh , pulled the mounts on skipper chair.. which I lean against , so ripped right out and stowed away.

Hit 1st spot, about 33m, always caught a few fish for a feed before the sharks turn up... not even a bloody shark.
 So move to next spot just before 40m... agai quite and the sharks turn up , dog fish, spineis and couple bigger ones.
And in between them a nice (weighed)12lber.. so thats enough divided up for a feed for each household Wink

Allowing 30 min to get back to the bar, wind dropped , surface no chop , just a nice swell with bigger periods.
BIG instruction to inexperianced crew... Watch the back, never take your eyes off for anything, the swells behind If break let me know, if get close . let me know.
So call CG again , not sure of poles on sure lined up with channel yet.. had been notices over last few weeks where not...but nearly lined up with our track out.
So followed track in except a little to the sth..split the difference.
Heard a couple calls from crew " breaking but not close" so moved up close to swell infront...head in.
Pretty choppy , but only chop just inside, then head sth.. 'wrong side of the road' (channel) and yep a bigger swell came over the bar into the river, side on and had to turn...
Being on the wrong side of the road gave heaps room to turn into land , then back on coarse as it went under us.
 Got to calm warer checked in again, dive couple drifts over Coxies trev spot but wrong tide for it and home.

Smudges West coast report is spot on.. again.

Boat up on trailer .. yep things go wrong, and could not figure out why the bow shackle would not reach???
pull up to secure boat on trailer and the front bloody wobblies turn wrong way. So slide boat off , and winch back on...Now know the 1.5AH lithium battery on the AEG 18v drill has 2 pulls in it.. at least.

Good to be out on the water, once again good company and a feed for each household.
Couple repairs, seat and a clear clip..

Now just start looking to the next window
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 8:55pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Here is a crappy version of the chart showing where I fished yesterday.
The places I fished are numbered in red
Spot 1, 7:30 am tiding ripping out, no berley maybe 6 KY here Depth about 6m
Spot 2, 8:30am, slack tide, berley, no bites here.  Depth about 5m
Spot 3, 9:30 am, Tide beginning to come in, berley, KY here.  Depth about 11m
Spot 4, 10:30am, tide ripping in, no berley, over 15 KY here, depth 8m
Spot 5, noon, tide ripping in, almost unfishable, 1 KY here, depth about 14m.

The waypoints (flags) are as follows
Blue flag from about 5 years ago?  A few gurnard here.
Green flag was from a Spot X book and was said to be good for trevally.  By midday I had given up on gurnard and was begging for any fish other than a KY.
The orange flags are the seaward ends of the Huia bank and the Waitarakihi bank.  I thought they might be worth a try for gurnard, so entered them manually in my portable GPS.  I used the orange waypoints as markers and hunted round the area until I found the leveling off of the steep banks to a flatter area where I thought grunters might be.

Masterfully planned and conceived, but a grunter skunking, so almost a total failure.

The amount of weight needed varied from 4oz when the tide was changing, through to 8oz when it was ripping.  I was using either 12 or 15lb braid.

Spot 5 I tried tying the berley bag just above the anchor chain, but it was too far away and useless.  By the time I'd let out 45m of warp to make the anchor work, the berley was probably 50m or so above the baits.  I have a pretty heavy berley pot, but the current sweeps it way up off the bottom, so useless.

If you like KY, spot 4 is worth a shot.
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 12:37pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sw 10 going nw 10 11.30ish high tide.Thinking seriously of going out Saturday.Tow vehicle back in service now.
Where to go??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2020 at 6:22am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Take your pick have not been out for a while if going over bar go deep 50m plus as Snapper wont come in till water warms up
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2020 at 8:52am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We headed out to grab some scallops.
Opening day was last tuesday. Intended going out in the morning  as arvo looked to chop up a bit.. and then crew let down the last minute.
 Anyway reports from locals indicated lots and plentiful.. but not from where we go..

Headed out yesterday over full tide. Meant we could short cut over the banks if our initial prospecting was no good.
But bad start.. had to move the bighorn to get the boat out.. and had been sitting for a week or so with interior light on.
Then cant find the jumper leads.. Once got good power, fired and moved.
1st drop was well before  target area. So much so under normal condition wouldnt even consider it as a very muddy place. Anyway pulled in some good sized but mixed condition , from ave to ok, Down side, with the mud was a very heavy pull in over the side.
Then next issue.. normally keep ropes etc in a large fish bin which we use to dump the contents into to sort out of.. and keep boat reasonably clean. I had used the bin in the last off season and forgot to put back... So dump on the carpeted deck..Just mess, carpets are easy to clean anyway.

Moved up to intended site, shortish pull... lot of varying undersized and 10 or so keepers putting anything that was legal but small back also. So continued around the general  area 4 more drags...and got limit nps
 When shucked, a mixed bag again from a little thin to ok, but all tended to big in relation to shell size. Not many large shell sized thu.
 Decided to head up to fishing spots to wash down and clean up the mess while a few lines out in the water..
Not even a bite , but a clean boat .

Water was clean and harbour dead mirror flat.

Coming back in, Te toro ramp well in sight saw a dingy with oars our and a person struggling with water looked like the anchor.. and the tide far rips thru there..
So as we do...and not as so many boats in front of use didnt, headed over. Was a young lady whos anchor was stuck, rip running and bow nearly going under.. Passed the dredge line over with the carabina on, she hooked onto her anchor warp, and we gently pulled the anchor up.
She must have been there for quite a while.. not a place or oars ...Anyway we towed her back into the shallows opposite side to Te torros where she wanted, passed here anchor back and headed back to the ramp.
 Where things went wrong again.
 Perfect landing into pontoons side on, not even a bump.
Then getting the truck.. remembered not putting the electric drill in that pulls the boat up...Oh well crew can wind or walk home.. problem sortedBig smile

Again good to be back out, good company (new crew) and a feed. 3 out of 3 accomplished.

Watching the waikato bar and weather.. doesnt look like much suitable for the next week.. Thu this morning was surprisingly crossable.. In saying that outside the bar has a few good crests..and would get more so as the day goes on. Not a 5.5m boat trip for a while.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2020 at 11:23am
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

Then getting the truck.. remembered not putting the electric drill in that pulls the boat up...Oh well crew can wind or walk home.. problem sortedBig smile
laughs haha
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2020 at 2:15pm
Titanium
Titanium

Out for first time in a while busy, lockdowns, weather - anyway 1.5hrs 4 gurnard and a small kahawai largest and first gurnard 47cm.
Everything worked though zips on my boat bag frozen from lack of use

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2020 at 3:51pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Thanks for your report MacSkipper, I haven't been out since July. I'm getting withdrawals. That's a nice catch though. At least I have half my garden sorted. Need some vegies to cook with all those fish I am going to catch over the next year Smile
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2020 at 4:03pm
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Got a couple of decent gurnard, half a dozen kahawai , one small probably legal snapper that went back and our burley bag was eaten by sharks .
Saw the biggest dogfish come up behind the burley bag, so big I wasn’t sure at first it was a doggy but couldn’t really be anything else with those white spots
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2020 at 4:28pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep got about 10.00am,tried the waiuku chanel and worked our way down to wattle bay,went to The Cake and nothing but busts offs sharks?? came back towards Mako point 4 m and got nil but managed to get close,not us but the seal came over for a look did a dive and never saw it again,so not all bad,found with 4m tides and volume of water fuel consumption went up considerly,last time out same distance used 12lts today used close to 15lt, just started using mercury 2 stroke oil and difference of less smoke .
Back in at 2.00.saw a few go out for scallops but dont have a dredge nor like them.
Wind chill still there though.
When you going to mow the lawns,have to move boat so might as well use it.So back to lawns.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2020 at 4:43pm
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

been a while ,out fishing ,but dogys . when i was a kid  you are talking a long time a go i saw dogys all over green bay beach after a storm .back then if they were  still moving they were good to fillet and they are good eaters. or in the smoker.around the rocks to the right of the beach about 1/2 a k was the old sewerage plant ,not working. then im talking 55 years ago or so .that was a good spot to get piper with a bamboo stick with line and a hook so small with a mix of flour and cotton wool mixed together. we would come home with 20-30 pipers .in a butter cook loverly.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2020 at 12:19am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Legacy Legacy wrote:

Got a couple of decent gurnard, half a dozen kahawai , one small probably legal snapper that went back and our burley bag was eaten by sharks .
Saw the biggest dogfish come up behind the burley bag, so big I wasn’t sure at first it was a doggy but couldn’t really be anything else with those white spots
yeah almost lost anchor line over bar once attached burley bag with clip to bottom of anchor line shark took a fancy to it and almost chewed through anchor warp only one strand left.
I stopped doing that!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2020 at 12:33am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

With white spots it was most likely a seven gill shark at this time of year. How big was it? If over a metre most likely a 7 giller if it had a rounded snout - they get pretty big
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2020 at 4:54am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

With white spots it was most likely a seven gill shark at this time of year. How big was it? If over a metre most likely a 7 giller if it had a rounded snout - they get pretty big
I thought only spiny dog had white spots? - 7 gill shark sounds like a runner up for Jaws movie!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2020 at 11:31am
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks Smudge , was puzzled by it as it was probably 170-180cm long , had a rounded head and I think teeth .
Was just looking through books this morning trying to ID it .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote r20b_pp@hotmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2020 at 3:46pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Managed to take my boy out for a quick flick off the beach Friday arvo. Got one nice gurnard for dinner while waiting for the sun to set. With a couple of lights and a homemade spear. I watched the boy spear half a dozen flatfish on the way back to the truck. Awesome Friday evening.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2020 at 3:49pm
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by gumboot gumboot wrote:

Managed to take my boy out for a quick flick off the beach Friday arvo. Got one nice gurnard for dinner while waiting for the sun to set. With a couple of lights and a homemade spear. I watched the boy spear half a dozen flatfish on the way back to the truck. Awesome Friday evening.

Nice
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2020 at 6:00pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

kool man, that's good to know
might have to go to Laingholm for a spear
have had some nice ones there over the warmer months....seems that's now
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CrayZfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 10:23am
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by gumboot gumboot wrote:

Nice
Thats a good feed there, not sure about the cat, have to be hungry i guess LOL
Why choose either diving or fishing when you can do both. Besides crayfish tail is very good bait!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 11:20am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Thanks Smudge , was puzzled by it as it was probably 170-180cm long , had a rounded head and I think teeth .
Was just looking through books this morning trying to ID it .

Yeah it will be a seven gill shark. Big solid fish with a very long tail most of the ones I've caught have been close to a metre long but I've seen them twice that
Page  <1 205206207208209 288>