Manukau Harbour & West Coast fishing

Page  <1 198199200201202 289>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Carbon Caster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2020 at 2:56pm
Carbon Caster View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi All, my name is Daz and I'm not new to the forum (and not a prolific poster), but am new to the Manukau. I've spent more than a few hours of lockdown reading this excellent thread and absorbing as much info as I can. I've recently resurrected my Dad's old 12' Parkercraft which has been in storage which we used to use a lot as kids up at the Kaipara South Head lagoon and various inshore spots on the Waitemata back in the 70s and 80s. It's in fantastic nick, water right even though it's the older riveted type. It's powered by a reliable 8hp. Managed to do two trips on the Manakau before lock down launching off Jenkins Bay. Both were very successful with a bin full of pannie snapper both times.

I'm really interested in exploring other parts of the harbour but know the limitations of the tinnie mean that some (outer) parts of the harbour need extreme care.

Once rock fishing off Paratutae Island I observed 3 teenagers in a dingy with small outboard fly past only to realize they were headed towards the bar on the out going. They swung her around and sat stationary in the flow next to the island with the motor WFO. They managed to crab across towards the centre of the mouth to slacker water and slowly make way back up the harbour.

I'm too old and sensible to do anything like that, but would like your advice on things to watch out for on harbour, and how close to the mouth is too close and under what conditions. Looking forward to catching a few and posting a few pics. Roll on Level 2!

Daz
Sabiki says No
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Judokapont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2020 at 10:49am
Judokapont View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hello Daz

I spent the last decade fishing the Maunkau on a rig exactly the same as yours , upgraded last winter which has opened up the harbour for me. Here’s my thoughts , avoid the mouth of the harbour if I was you , unless it was completely glass flat with an incoming tide and then I’d still most probably avoid it. I used my 12 ftr once to fish the red buoy over The south head , launching at little Huia , it was glass like conditions but I still felt extremely exposed out there but that could just be me. I fished around wonga wonga bay too but again felt really exposed. Didn’t really relax , conditions can change so quickly there.
My best fishing in the old tin was in the Wairopa   channel , plenty of fish there , especially around the markers and the sides of the banks. Tight lines !
By the power of Greyskull
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2020 at 3:10pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

That's good advice. Avaoid the big tides especially. As the tide changes the conditions change significantly if there's any sort of wind. There is a lot of very good fishing in nice and close too which is a bonus
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2020 at 3:32pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Some of the best fishing is in close. Fished Manukau for a long time in a open 12 ft tinny. Fished bays,edge of channels--wairopa, off huia. But any channel edge in lea of land is o.k. Couple of times ventured to the purukau, &papakura. Didnt like it. Once it chopped up,wind against tide. afternoon sea breeze. Scary in a small boat.
Watch for wind against tide, dosent take much to get steep and narly.
Even a small tide puts up a good current,and a small manukau tide is as big as a big H.G tide.
Be wary of afternoon sea breeze that can suddenly come up at top of tide in summer. Can get quite strong quickly. But all said Manukau is well suited for a small boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Judokapont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2020 at 6:35pm
Silver
Silver

Southerly 17knt gusting 20 according to my preferred forecaster for Sat morning , how do you think the wairopa channel will be in that ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2020 at 6:53pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Judokapont Judokapont wrote:

Southerly 17knt gusting 20 according to my preferred forecaster for Sat morning , how do you think the wairopa channel will be in that ?

In a 12 footer, no, play safe. Leave boat at home and cast off the shore/beach, rocks if you are confident.
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2020 at 6:57pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

southerly should come directly down the channel. i would give it a miss, despite being a small tide. gusting 20kt. hmmm.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2020 at 7:05pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

No, don't even consider it. I would be unlikely to go out in my boat in that. It's a 5.5m cabin boat
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Judokapont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2020 at 7:46pm
Silver
Silver

All good advice !
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Carbon Caster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2020 at 9:24pm
Carbon Caster View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks Guys, appreciate you all taking the time and the sage advice. I'm looking forward to learning more about the fishery. Will get out this weekend if the weather plays ball.
Sabiki says No
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Judokapont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2020 at 1:47pm
Silver
Silver

Forecast looks greatly improved
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2020 at 3:19pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thurs looks like mint bar day.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote neil_cb125t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2020 at 4:20pm
neil_cb125t View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

Thurs looks like mint bar day.

totally - the forecast for thursday down our way (wangas) is STELLA - there will be ques for the ramp....ill be in it.....:-)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 5:51pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

fished Papakura channel for an hour - 2 Snapper biggest 39cm and 1 gurnarda few boats out later water pretty cool compared to pre lock down 15.5 degrees.
Nice to be out again!

Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 6:01pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Yahoo! A harbour report! A modest but nice catch MacSkipper. Fishing shallow?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 6:02pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Meanwhile out over the coast, this is happening: Go deep
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 6:22pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Did The S.E chop up much. Nice to see some manukau snapper and ,yes ,a gurnard.
Those snapper are very ,very fat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 7:02pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Best time of the year for snapper. When you fillet them they will have those lines of fat in their gut cavity, your knife will go all stick and all will be good in the worldBig smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 7:24pm
Titanium
Titanium

15m trying shallow in weekend
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 7:26pm
Titanium
Titanium

Yes it got a bit choppy but not to bad.
Yes nice fish in good condition
Page  <1 198199200201202 289>