Manukau Harbour & West Coast fishing

Page  <1 129130131132133 288>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2016 at 8:09pm
skunk View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Mmm, thanks Smudge.
"Team Skunk 10th equal Grunter Hunter 2020"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2016 at 5:45pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Saw Duncan was out on Huia bank today over low tide and caught him at Little Huia - said he caught a gurnard, several trevally and LOTs of sharks.  Looked nice out there but cool.
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2016 at 6:12pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Lots of spiny dogs for us today. One of our best catches of this most desirable of fish Ermm. No keepable snapper at all and a plan to live bait for John dory was thwarted by our (my) inability to catch a livebait. We caught a zilllion tiny snapper (ok six) on our bait rig before I gave up.

Then we moved to a known gurnard spot and got three little red grunters and a pile of ky. One nice gurnard in there so yeah enough for a nice dinner but a very slow day. Not unexpected with the dirty water but I expect fishing to be much better tomorrow and Sunday.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Club Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2016 at 8:40pm
Club Matt View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Was hard fishing the first day of the C.S.F.C Ice Breaker Comp & all up you can,t say i did put the effort or the hours in, as after 5 hours on a center console & nothing even like a bite, i was beginning to think Grunter comp all over again.
After hour 6 was looming & i couldn't,t feel my hands or toes, i decided to wined up the gear & find the closest bar heater to hug !!
Neck Minute, it was full on, so i suppose it was worth sticking it out & freezing my but off !!
Not big, but i came home happy LOL

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2016 at 8:48pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Good stuff Gerald. That's hard core man. Arron was keen as to get out early so I launched at ten Embarrassed. We were hoping for snapper but no keepers. We spent a little time gurnard fishing for three - one went back. The whole spirit of the Ice Breaker is to sort out the men from the boys. Takes a real man to get out there at your hours, awesome effort!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DIY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2016 at 8:50pm
DIY View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Launched from Cornwallis this morning about 10am and came back about 1:30. Pretty consistent fishing, caught a heap of KY as well. Bit chilly but good to be out.
Oh what a smasher - two eggs and a rasher!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2016 at 9:02pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

A bit chilly??? It was frikken freezing! Nice catch DIY

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2016 at 12:11pm
Titanium
Titanium

Got out this morning fishing off waterfall bay - saw 1 seal there so they are back in harbour now.  First fish - small shark, hmmm.  A few undersized snapper and more sharks.  Then a real nice heavy nodding bite and pull - could be a big Snapper!  Didn't feel right coming up - was a 4 ft shark with 2 hooks one in tail Cry!  Lost a bit of tackle and a few hooks Grrrr...
Lovely calm day though bar looked a bit frisky.  Had a hell of a job pulling anchor in flow and car was stuck in grass at Little Huia (I had a Bazza day!) - luckily the park ranger pulled up and gave me a pull onto the road - good chappie Thumbs Up!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Club Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2016 at 8:51pm
Club Matt View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by MacSkipper MacSkipper wrote:

Got out this morning fishing off waterfall bay - saw 1 seal there so they are back in harbour now.  First fish - small shark, hmmm.  A few undersized snapper and more sharks.  Then a real nice heavy nodding bite and pull - could be a big Snapper!  Didn't feel right coming up - was a 4 ft shark with 2 hooks one in tail Cry!  Lost a bit of tackle and a few hooks Grrrr...
Lovely calm day though bar looked a bit frisky.  Had a hell of a job pulling anchor in flow and car was stuck in grass at Little Huia (I had a Bazza day!) - luckily the park ranger pulled up and gave me a pull onto the road - good chappie Thumbs Up!

Where is Waterfall bay mate ??

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2016 at 5:22am
Titanium
Titanium

Waterfall bay is on the chart - I launched at Little Huia and turn starboard and go towards harbour entrance and after sawyers point just before destruction gulley (and bar channel markers) there is a water fall (plenty of rain recently) and almost below and to port of waterfall is some caves and big rocks - over winter there is a small seal colony there they have the pups in the caves. 
If you are interested in sight seeing seals more down your way last few years there have been a lot more seals at Puponga point, just round from the point headings towards Cornwallis wharf - don't know if seals there yet but probably. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2016 at 8:54am
skunk View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice early start yesterday morning

Drakar1 and I tried hard but the gurnard were playing hard ball ,we only had a couple by late morning.
Club matt went whizzing past at one stage I tried waving him down to ask for directions but he was frozen solid I think!.
Ok, ill give smudge a call for advice..kindly told us they were getting a few over the way abit so we shot over and ended up getting some nice ones for a great feed.
Thanks smudge and skoti and olfart for letting some carrots get thru to us
Only my 5th time on the Manukau, but kind of growing fond of it :-)
"Team Skunk 10th equal Grunter Hunter 2020"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Olfart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2016 at 10:51am
Olfart View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

"Drakar1 and I tried hard but the gurnard were playing hard ball, we only had a couple by late morning."

Sounds like our tale for the day.  I think Smudge actually had the right position on the "spot" ... we were fishing on the edge of the bank whereas you guys and Team Smudge were in marginally deeper water than we were. 

We ended up with 6 grunters and four kahawai for our collective effort for the day so relatively happy.  Skoti kept a big kahawai and the best of our gurnard to weigh in today (he caught both) and because he very rarely eats fish I got to take home the rest (bar one smaller KY which we had used for bait).

You gotta love the Manukau on a calm day - it always has a 'moodiness' about it but it does make a nice change from fishing the other side of the Auckland isthmus and I always look forward to a good smelly bait session where I can make a mess on someone else's baitboard!

Semper in excreta sumus, solum profundum variat....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Club Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2016 at 4:24pm
Club Matt View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by MacSkipper MacSkipper wrote:

Waterfall bay is on the chart - I launched at Little Huia and turn starboard and go towards harbour entrance and after sawyers point just before destruction gulley (and bar channel markers) there is a water fall (plenty of rain recently) and almost below and to port of waterfall is some caves and big rocks - over winter there is a small seal colony there they have the pups in the caves. 
If you are interested in sight seeing seals more down your way last few years there have been a lot more seals at Puponga point, just round from the point headings towards Cornwallis wharf - don't know if seals there yet but probably. 

Thanks for that Mac, yep found it on the map now cheers !!
That place would be a good spot for Trevally  you recon.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2016 at 4:48pm
Titanium
Titanium

Good spot for sharks!  Trevally are usually round the banks - Huia Bank and off Foster Bay etc .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Club Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2016 at 4:56pm
Club Matt View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by skunk skunk wrote:

Nice early start yesterday morning

Drakar1 and I tried hard but the gurnard were playing hard ball ,we only had a couple by late morning.
Club matt went whizzing past at one stage I tried waving him down to ask for directions but he was frozen solid I think!.
Ok, ill give smudge a call for advice..kindly told us they were getting a few over the way abit so we shot over and ended up getting some nice ones for a great feed.
Thanks smudge and skoti and olfart for letting some carrots get thru to us
Only my 5th time on the Manukau, but kind of growing fond of it :-)

Yes this Harbor grows on you in time Mate & it was good to see the boys pointed you in the right direction.
Bloody nice morning out their, but bitter cold on the Stabi without much protection. Couldn't see much mate on the move, as my glasses kept fogging up & out of the 3 trips out over the weekend with a lot of time on the water i managed to pick up 10 Grunters, but all not very sizable at all, with the biggest .700 kg.
Spent most of the time out their too ,with no bites but my camera is always handy to take a few pics in between the quite times.
Didn,t even get up to the Ice Breaker weigh in today as im feeling bloody crock with a bad case of deli belly since this morning.
Gave Scoti my camera instead to take some shots of all the fish that would be coming in to weigh, so i hope i can nick name him Scoti Jackson when i get a chance to down load what he has taken.
However a couple of quick photos & clips of yesterday morning on the water... bellow Thumbs Up

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2016 at 5:58pm
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Always found waterfall bay a good spot for trevally , definitely worth a go .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FlawOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2016 at 6:29pm
FlawOne View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

With all the recent talk of carrots running rampant on the big muddy and Smudges resurrection to carrot harvester glory I have decided that I require a mental health day tommorow.

Thinking of launching from Cornwallis in the morning and fishing the far bank of the waiuku channel from Grahams beach then heading further up the Papakura channel as the tide rises maybe try some skinny water if the sun is dull. Then hit the outgoing in the ropers channel area.

Havn't been out in the harbour since the grunter hunter and any ideas or hints to assist in making my carrot hunt a success would be choice!
Inner City Slayers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2016 at 7:10pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

About time I put up my report from the weekend. We did three days on the trot, targeting snapper in the Papakura channel on Friday & Saturday, with a bit of gurnard fishing both days. On Sunday we fished out through the Manukau Bar.

Friday was cold and calm and I had Arron on board.

The only snapper we caught was when I dropped some sprat hooks to the bottom to try catch some live baits but after four drops and four instant hook ups on 100 to 150mm snapper I gave that idea away. We got plenty of these though - the dreaded spiny dogs:

We had one conger eel that thankfully popped off right at the boat, excellent! The day was a real contrast to three weeks earlier while fishing the Grunter Hunter when we caught around 100 kahawai, after three hours of fishing we only caught one now and again. Like that day we also didn't catch any gurnard but no concerns yet because we were snapper fishing. So we moved off to catch some grunters!

With a couple of hours of daylight left we lined up a favourite spot where the incoming tide spills into a shallow gut up onto a mud bank. We caught some gurnard there including this one for me, at 47cm and in prime condition it was around 1.3kg

We shared info with these guys and they fished beside us throughout the day for similar results but they left before the gurnard bite happened

Saturday I had Rob on board as Arron had football. We again planned to target snapper but there were terns working nearby so we cast a lure on his brand spanker rod & reel set. It was a nice little Shimano 6000 Baitrunner on a BBE rod. It wasn't long before he caught a kahawai

With that monkey off his back we went snapper fishing. Unfortunately it wasn't snapper catching. After 3 hours it was gurnard time. They didn't disappoint us and the first one on board was a beauty, 50cm and an estimated weight of 1.36kg I was smudgingly happy. At weigh in it went 1.4kg Thumbs Up

Rob managed his fair share and once I had a few in the bin I left him to take care of the rods

I'll continue once I've had my dinner Big smile

OK dinner is cooking so I'll continue...

We had a little company at this spot. Skoti & Olfart

Then Skunk & Drakar1

Now it's time to do some more cooking tbc....

OK cooking done, mate came round with some venison backs steaks. Only fair to drink his beer as well. Right, on with the story!

After Drakar & Skunk left we waited out through the turn of the tide which I thought was really going to fire but I think we only picked up another four. I was thinking that Skoti and Olfart had the better position for the incoming tide but they struggled a little too and were soon off.

We then took a call from one of our mates that there was someone with a flat battery off Big Bay so off we went to help. We saw a small pod of orca on the way, one looked like it was chomping up a seal or a shark, couldn't quite tell. We waited for about 5mins for them to broach but man those things can hold their breath better than Mullins.

We got the boat started with our little Powerall pack, if you don't have one on your boat you should!

That was it for the day. We planned to fish the harbour again on Sunday but Rob wanted to head on out over the coast, Arron was keen, me not so much but a check of the forecast and reports from the guys that were out on Saturday convinced me. A trip into town for some beer, wine, salmon of all things Big smile and one feast and a few drinks later we had settled our plan for the next day.

We launched into thick fog and motored for at least 20 minutes at trolling speed before we got a call from our mates on Southern Hospitality that the fog was clearing. The bar looked a little sloppy at first but it must have been nerves, as we got closer it was obvious that it was flat. Yippee!

With Arron at the helm we went through at 22 knots in our little boat. Normally I get involved in choosing where we fish but this was Arron's choice so he chose 30m south of the bar.

Some small snapper came onboard and we were kind of hopeful for bigger fish but it didn't look promising, especially with these things turning up regularly

The sharks did a good job of sorting out relative newbie Rob's technique and soon he was fishing like a pro. A little too well as he landed the fish of the day, a snapper weighing a little over 5kg his biggest ever fish. A nice fish that gave us some hope for a snapper prize but third place in our Ice Breaker comp came in at 7kg or more.

We caught enough and released many, some 3 to 4kg and it was time to head in. By now it was 1.30 and the sea was dead flat.

Here's Rob with his pb

This mollymawk was a welcome stranger, been a while since we've seen these magnificent birds around the boat

Rod releases one of the biggest snapper he's caught a prime 50cm pannie

The sea just got better all day, here's a raging Manukau bar Big smile as we start to line up the Jackie Hill leads

For those that don't know you line up the first peak on the headland in the foreground with the one in the background that is very slightly to the south in that pic. You hold that line until the Destruction Gully leads line up then you follow those, you can just make them out in the middle of the picture below

The dreaded 'washing machine' wasn't even a gentle rinse. A bit of care through here is needed just as you hit the deeper water of the harbour, converging currents from the west and south channels can kick up a ruckus even on the calmest of days. But not on this day although in this picture we're well into the harbour I think you get the message

All up a wonderful three days fishing the CSFC Ice Breaker comp. A credit to Craysee and Dougie13 for putting it together. Here's a link to Club Matts video of the weighin

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2016 at 11:18pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by FlawOne FlawOne wrote:

With all the recent talk of carrots running rampant on the big muddy and Smudges resurrection to carrot harvester glory I have decided that I require a mental health day tommorow.

Thinking of launching from Cornwallis in the morning and fishing the far bank of the waiuku channel from Grahams beach then heading further up the Papakura channel as the tide rises maybe try some skinny water if the sun is dull. Then hit the outgoing in the ropers channel area.

Havn't been out in the harbour since the grunter hunter and any ideas or hints to assist in making my carrot hunt a success would be choice!

I think any of the expected spots would be producing about now Flawone. You won't be disappointed in the condition of the fish. We found skipjack the best gurnard bait and a very lightly weighted strayline  rig caught slightly more than the two hook dropper. The two rods with the lightest line picked up 75% of the fish. We caught them in 2.5 to 5m of water.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Club Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2016 at 5:35am
Club Matt View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Awesome report Smudge & an excellent long weekend for the ice Breaker comp Clap

Page  <1 129130131132133 288>