Manukau Harbour & West Coast fishing

Page  <1 1011121314 288>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Club Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2013 at 9:28am
Club Matt View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Work well on sandy or muddy bottoms with about a 10 mtr cast out that gives the lure a snaking motion movement on the bottom.
The commercial fishermen up in Scotland were running them on long lines to gather flounder with a small piece of mud crab on about a 3/0 recurve hook.
Very small baby squid is dynamite too !!  

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2013 at 9:38am
smelli View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Sweet,,thnx heaps ...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Club Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2013 at 2:47pm
Club Matt View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Found an old damaged mussel float, half submerged washed up on Stony Bay, when I was up their last week. So I chucked it on the boat trailer, as I thought I could make something out of it for the Kids for Christmas !!

Hope I don't start a Trend !!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2013 at 4:10pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

That's pretty innovative .... I was nowhere near as creative & simply cut it in half lengthways also drilled drainage holes & planted spuds potatoes.

I found mine adrift just outside Tiri & was holding on to it as was told the mussel farms will give you a couple of sacks of mussels if you return them. Apparently they used to but were finding to many were disappearing on still dark nights!
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote 1Daz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2013 at 10:28am
1Daz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

We got out yesterday and because of the big tide we left the rods at home and only took the scollop dredge and Mullet net. It was a nice afternoon. 4 tows with the dredge and only 20mins later we had our limit. There were bugger all undersized ones as well.
Then we went and set the Mullet net, sat behind it and had a couple of beers while we watched the mullet swim into it and came back with about 40 mullet too. I set the net about a month ago for a big fat zero so was pretty happy. Was a good afternoon.

Go the Warriors!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 1Daz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2013 at 3:54pm
1Daz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Any one been out over the coast for a snapper fish recently? I'm hearing 50m is the magic number at the mo and if the weather is what swell map says its going to be on Friday morning I might be taking the day off work.
Go the Warriors!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2013 at 11:54pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

The coast was rough as today so we stayed in the harbour. The few who went out did very well at 60m. it has been a real bumper spring so far - but I've only heard about it, had no chances when the weather has been right ... bugger!

Today we really struggled in the harbour.  In our first 15 minutes we had all hooked good fish but lost each one through bite offs. When it was my turn to hook up we found the culprit, an enormous tope, biggest I've seen. next up was another enormous fish, this time an eel and yepp the biggest one I've ever
seen.

Following that was a basterd red cod and it too was the biggest I've seen.

Unfortunately the two snapper we caught were not the biggest I had seen, nor were the four gurnard. Throw in an assortment of rays and little shark and we went for some scallops. Finally some success Big smile.

Was still a good day and I felt a little better hearing that most others had struggled too. Thanks to  Skoti and Arron for another primo  although mostly fishless day.

Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Club Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2013 at 2:34pm
Club Matt View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Fished the harbour on Saturday over my usual spot & hooked up a feed of 6 nice Gurnard & 3 Snapper around the 350 length but plenty of small snapper coming in now to the warmer waters of the Muddy!!
Good to see the Gurnard are present in abundance, so it might be a summer like 2008 were the Gurnard stayed in the harbour over the hot periods of Nov to March.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2013 at 3:57pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Nice work Gerald!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2013 at 10:14am
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We got out last weekend, short fish on Saturday but a bit longer on Sunday.  Managed a gurnard for tea on Saturday, and a stingray which is always entertaining.  Nothing much on Sunday, a couple of lemonfish were the largest things we caught, but at abut 50cm not really worth keeping.  All weekend we were plagued by small snapper, could hardly keep up with putting bait on the line before they ate it.  Looking at Smudges report I was definitely on the wrong side of the bar, hope some of those larger snapper decide to venture into the harbour soon.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coxie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2013 at 12:26pm
coxie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Fished the harbour yesterday (saturday) and the fishing is starting to get good, fish came on the bite about 1.5 hours before high and were taking baits as soon as we dropped them down. We came home with a mixed bag of a couple of big kahawai, 4 snapper between 35 to 37cm and 4 big gurnard with many other smaller but legal fish caught and let free to swim again. Had an epic battle with a kingy which looked to be around the 20kg mark which was lost right beside the boat Cry 

It took a kahawai livebait and did a loop around the anchor rope and berly pot and kept on swimming, with the bail arm open i let the fish run and in a mad panic tried to untangle the line from the anchor rope meanwhile the fish was stripping line off the reel, i cut the berly pot line and dropped the end with the berly on so that sunk to the bottom, damn... then I managed to loop the rod around the anchor rope and success! it was free. 
Carried on winding the fish in, which was now probably 150m away, with minimal resistence... maybe i'd just caught a small shark? kept winding and as it got close to the boat the fish exploaded and screamed back under the boat and.... around the anchor rope once more... back into free spool... untangle the lines and back in business, this time we pulled the anchor up and motored after the fish trying to get back the line I lost while in free spool. 
As we got line back on the fish I looked out and about 50m away from the boat I could see a dark green shadow right up near the surface... it's a kingy!!! 
Seeing the fish filled us with excitement and once again it came towards the boat with minimal resistance, cruising along the surface. Got it along side, grabbed the leader and within 3 seconds the fish exploaded again and dived, breaking the 80lb trace and tightening up the leader which was looped around my hand so much that it cut grooves into 3 of my fingers... ouch...

This would of been the 2nd kingfish I've caught and looked to be double the size of my first one (10.5kg) I was blown away with how explosive this fish was and how much brute force it was throwing at me. I can see how people get addicted to catching them, they're such a strong fish and now I just wanna catch more.

Well thats my story, I will get some pics of the fish from a video on my phone when I work out the issue with the videos not playing on my laptop, but they will come!

How was everybody else's weekend? The weather has been awesome

Edit : Here are some pics...

The first burst of power when it screamed off under the boat...
(Daiwa monster mesh max popper rod)

...And when we got it up next to the boat

And right before he busted off...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2013 at 3:35pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Much better than we did yesterday Coxie, where in the harbour were you?  We tried a couple of places but couldn't really get past the little snapper eating all the bait almost as soon as it hit the water.  Brought home a snapper and a gurnard, so not a total loss.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coxie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2013 at 6:36pm
coxie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

We were in the Waiuku channel Kevin. We weren't bothered by too many undersized snapper, the bite did seem to die off completely once the tide turned but we didn't hang around long after that
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingfishers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2013 at 6:50pm
kingfishers View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Good one bro..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wefaknis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2013 at 6:58pm
Wefaknis View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice one Coxie.... Ill steal those pics for the CSFC November newsletter if thats ok?.... great read enjoyed it..

Cheers

Wefaknis
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coxie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2013 at 7:34pm
coxie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

No problem at all Wefaknis, I look forward to seeing it Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2013 at 7:39pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by coxie coxie wrote:

We were in the Waiuku channel Kevin. We weren't bothered by too many undersized snapper, the bite did seem to die off completely once the tide turned but we didn't hang around long after that

We weren't that far away.  We started at the rose garden and as it got closer to high tide moved over to a spot we use on the banks between the Waiuku channel and Ropers channel.  We came in just before high tide.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cosmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2013 at 8:29pm
cosmo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

was out today just in the waiuku channel a lot of small snapper but managed to get a decent feed in the end and a few ky. must say am starting to have a change of mind on boat registration after seeing the carry on out there today what part of 5 knots do people not understand  even something close too would be fine rather than full noise between 2 anchored boats just to pull up and throw the pick 100 metres away
i just want to go fishing..........amd ignore all my adult problems
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2013 at 12:19am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Some clowns around no doubt about that cosmo. Bad luck on the kingie Coxie ... next time!
Scallops were beauty ...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Club Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2013 at 7:54pm
Club Matt View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nice Kingfish Coxi & my condolence's to you of the moment!!Cry
Fished Friday for a couple of hours in the mid day sun ( Bloody hot ) in a centre console!!
But I recon = Why go West, when on a cup of petrol you can get the best!!
Nice to see the bigger snapper coming in.  
Page  <1 1011121314 288>