Manukau Harbour & West Coast fishing

Page  <1 271272273274275 288>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2023 at 7:58pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

That fine wire hook looks the go too A Mustad Demon I reckon :)
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2023 at 8:49pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice hook those mustard demon recurves 6/0 for gurnard.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2023 at 12:48pm
Tonto2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Originally posted by Tonto2 Tonto2 wrote:

Same for us. It's nearly 3 years since we moved to Waiau pa, in that time I think I have only caught 3 maybe 4 Gurnard. I thought I might enter the GH but I would need divine intervention to win it ๐Ÿ˜‚

Martyn, I will see what I can do if you enter The Grunter Hunter! I had some guy give me a serve on FB a couple of weeks ago. He reckoned the GH was rigged so only 'club affiliates & sponsors' won it. Apparently he thought his 800g or so gurnard should have been in the money!

If it was only about winning I wouldn't bother, after all, I've never even come close to winning and I fish it every year. I'm going to stop overthinking it this time so watch out!ย Big smile

We have a 'gurnard how to session' at Franklin H&F on June 3rd - you don't have to fish the comp but I'm more than happy to give some 'secret' tips on gurnard fishing on The Big Muddy.

Mike I am entering the grandchildren and me so we will take all the secret tips you can give ๐Ÿ˜‚
slowly going where everyone else has already been
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote DIY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2023 at 3:26pm
DIY View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Left from Cornwallis this morning about 8 and shot over to Ropers in about 6-7m. Got all these plus multiple farrrking annoying small KY on the pink squid strayline rig and small bits of salted bonito. Had to up the size of the sinker as the tide sped up. The big snap went 51cm. Left at 11.30. Nice one for first trip out this season.
Oh what a smasher - two eggs and a rasher!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2023 at 8:55pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Same for us. It's nearly 3 years since we moved to Waiau pa, in that time I think I have only caught 3 maybe 4 Gurnard. I thought I might enter the GH but I would need divine intervention to win it ๐Ÿ˜‚

Martyn, I will see what I can do if you enter The Grunter Hunter! I had some guy give me a serve on FB a couple of weeks ago. He reckoned the GH was rigged so only 'club affiliates & sponsors' won it. Apparently he thought his 800g or so gurnard should have been in the money!

If it was only about winning I wouldn't bother, after all, I've never even come close to winning and I fish it every year. I'm going to stop overthinking it this time so watch out! Big smile

We have a 'gurnard how to session' at Franklin H&F on June 3rd - you don't have to fish the comp but I'm more than happy to give some 'secret' tips on gurnard fishing on The Big Muddy.

Mike I am entering the grandchildren and me so we will take all the secret tips you can give ๐Ÿ˜‚

OK Martyn, here's a secret tip just for you. Find a shallow gut going up onto a bank - they are never as deep as they look on the charts. Fish those spots at the start of the incoming and the start of the outgoing.  Here's another tip: get a Terakihi Terror flasher rig.put a sinker on your mainline so it stops at a swivel. On the other end of the swivel tie the flasher rig. Don't put a sinker on the other end. Very small cut baits work well. DON'T TELL ANYONE! It's a secret ok?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2023 at 8:57pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by DIY DIY wrote:

Left from Cornwallis this morning about 8 and shot over to Ropers in about 6-7m. Got all these plus multiple farrrking annoying small KY on the pink squid strayline rig and small bits of salted bonito. Had to up the size of the sinker as the tide sped up. The big snap went 51cm. Left at 11.30. Nice one for first trip out this season.

That's a decent catch DIY
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gurnard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2023 at 9:00pm
gurnard View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Some cool theories regarding Gurnard.

I grew up on the Titirangi side and fished that side for years, still do at least once or twice a year.

I have been living on the opposite side (Clarks beach/Waiuku side) for a few years and now primarily fish here for Gurnard.

I have definitely noticed carrots to be few and far between compared to 10 years ago on the Titirangi side. I had a never fail spot close to Parau that used to produce bloody good Gurnard however in the last few years I haven't caught any there. I don't know why.

I've noticed that the snapper fishing has improved that side judging from the reports here, so that's awesome to see.

I highly recommend making the trip to Smudge's home town for the annual gurnard comp though, regardless of whether you do well on carrots or not. It's an awesome event that I wish I could make this year.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2023 at 9:29pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Thanks for the endorsement Mr Gurnard! Sad you cant make it but over the years we've had excellent support from these forums. It is a pretty cool event even if I say so myself Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote DIY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2023 at 3:21pm
DIY View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Out again this morning from Cornwallis and over to the same spot in Ropers. Did better on the carrots and only 1 snap. Still heaps of small KY around. The biggest Gurnard went 46cm. Started about 8.30 and wrapped up at 12. Beautiful day on the harbour.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2023 at 5:09pm
Tonto2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

If it was only about winning I wouldn't bother, after all, I've never even come close to winning and I fish it every year. I'm going to stop overthinking it this time so watch out!ย Big smile

OK Martyn, here's a secret tip just for you. Find a shallow gut going up onto a bank - they are never as deep as they look on the charts. Fish those spots at the start of the incoming and the start of the outgoing.ย  Here's another tip: get a Terakihi Terror flasher rig.put a sinker on your mainline so it stops at a swivel. On the other end of the swivel tie the flasher rig. Don't put a sinker on the other end. Very small cut baits work well. DON'T TELL ANYONE! It's a secret ok?
๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿค๐Ÿ†—
slowly going where everyone else has already been
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2023 at 7:05pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Out again this morning from Cornwallis and over to the same spot in Ropers. Did better on the carrots and only 1 snap. Still heaps of small KY around. The biggest Gurnard went 46cm. Started about 8.30 and wrapped up at 12. Beautiful day on the harbour.

kool man, fantastic result.... jealous much eh
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hookski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2023 at 7:07pm
Hookski View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Nice work. I'm heading out tomorrow around the same time. Was the bite continuous today? See much of that pesky green weed? Any other tips would be appreciated. Cheers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DIY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2023 at 8:50pm
DIY View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi Hookski, we were in about 6m of water up near the end of Ropers and the bite was fairly consistent as soon as the tide started to flow on the incoming. Small cubes of salted bonito on flasher rigs and pink squid straylines. Both these rigs went well. A bit of that flat green weed about but not an issue.
Good luck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2023 at 9:17pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by BananaBoat BananaBoat wrote:

Thatโ€™s a real nice catch , especially up to 46cm gurnard, well Banana Boat. Envious.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hookski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2023 at 9:21pm
Hookski View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Cheers!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2023 at 8:14pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by shaneg shaneg wrote:

Originally posted by BananaBoat BananaBoat wrote:

[QUOTE=DIY] The biggest Gurnard went 46cm. Started about 8.30 and wrapped up at 12. Beautiful day on the harbour.

ย 

Thatโ€™s a real nice catch , especially up to 46cm gurnard, well Banana Boat. Envious.

That was DIY trip report Shaneg, nothing to do with me...... me envious too
About 9km from Cornwallis wharf to get to that spot
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2023 at 7:00pm
yknot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Had a trip west side today. The snapper are in prime condition. The bench had a layer of fat from filleting fish.
Those that say it can't be done are being overtaken by those doing it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2023 at 7:40pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

What depth were the snapper at Yknot? 30m and closer?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2023 at 5:41am
yknot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

18m for us smudge. Was up the coast from your harbour.
Was great to be on the water after this weather
Those that say it can't be done are being overtaken by those doing it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2023 at 5:50pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by yknot yknot wrote:

18m for us smudge. Was up the coast from your harbour.
Was great to be on the water after this weather

Nice! Don't tell anyone that is where the big fish are though. Big smile
Page  <1 271272273274275 288>