Manukau Harbour & West Coast fishing

Page  <1 269270271272273 288>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 8:46pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Quick mish after work this evening. There was white caps & a bit lumpy for the kayak, didnt even get to the main channel or my waypoints close to the channel, so stayed well in close where I would never do baits... fished 2-3m at Armour bay
Was very slow, no sign no bites for the first hr, a few throwbacks 28-32cm, kept 2 decent kahawai used 1 for baits, kept 3 snaps best going 40cm, buggar all current, lots of sign before high tide but not really on the chew
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AlexRecurve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2023 at 2:50pm
AlexRecurve View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I'm curious to know if Huia is open for launching also.  I've just googled to try and find out some info - even the fountain of knowledge that is the NZ Fishing Community group doesn't have anything.

Anyone tried the last week?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote seahunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2023 at 4:49pm
seahunter View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

yup, huia is open again
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tinfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2023 at 3:05pm
Tinfisher View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Cheers or the info seahunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AlexRecurve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 11:11am
AlexRecurve View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yes thanks Seahunter.

We launched at Little Huia on Sunday and crossed the bar.  Seas were choppy with a 1.5-2m swell and 10knot SWesterly.  Wasn't very comfortable out there to be honest.
Fortunately we were kept busy with the fishing.  The ocean was alive with life from the 35m-45m depths.  Dolphins, Skippies and Kahawai everywhere.  We also came across a tightly packed bait-ball of anchovies  - which were literally destroyed within minutes by a school of tuna hammering it from underneath.  Quite spectacular to see!
We did a spot of snapper fishing afterwards and came in with 7 skipjack and 7 snapper.  It was a bumpy trip in with the wind behind us and a dropping tide across the bar.  But well worth the effort.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote dive'n'fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 9:19am
dive'n'fish View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Headed out on Friday AM from Little Huia, for a week day it was busy!!! Made worse by the extremely low tide everyone was having to back their boats off the end of the long concrete ramp into the silt.
There has been quite the buildup of silt post recent storms. Was a cross boat team effort to turn boats around and push them into knee deep water to get going.
We headed out and avoided following the radio hype, getting pack attacked by Mahi Mahi on at least 5 occasions we landed 7. 
Heard of at least one boat having lines cut from another getting to close during that day which is not ideal for anyone.
Also managed to land about 6 Bonito.
No Marlin were seen on our boat but still was a great day with a quick snapper fish at the end while we waited to cross the bar.

On Saturday it was a family fish in the Harbour which was good landing 11 Snapper in total and it was good to see fisheries doing checks back at the ramp.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 9:07pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Good to see some reports, thanks guys
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote FlawOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2023 at 11:03pm
FlawOne View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

A great afternoon out with a mate who needed a break from life. Fished the incoming tide on the back of the Te Tau Bank in one of my favourite gutters. Could have had an easy limit of 30 somethings but let a few go to swim another day. Best baits were pillies and squid. We could have done with 5kg of each!
Inner City Slayers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote gurnard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2023 at 10:11am
gurnard View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Got out yesterday to make the most of the mint forecast.

Launched at the gentlemen’s hour of 9am at Waiau Pa and went the long way around to get to Ropers channel, as I wanted to play with the new sounder and see how it went.

Ended up fishing the first spot in about 7m and it was relatively slow fishing for the first hour, with one decent snapper and a couple of pannies. We ended up with a Kahawai and a Rig shark as well before the tide allowed us to get to the Papakura Channel.

There was bugger all current anchoring in about 17m yesterday which was a nice change from the usual bomb sinkers we need to use here. The fishing was non stop and every fish bar a couple was of legal size, but nothing to write home about. I think the biggest two we got were close to 50.

Maybe the single likely issue was the large pod of Orca that were hunting next to our boat for the good part of two hours. At times they were so close to the boat, and on one occasion you could have reached out and touched one of the smaller ones.

As the tide turned and the fishing slowed we decided to stop at our Gurnard hole on the way home again, as last time we did this there were no carrots in sight. Same result again here. Too early I’m picking slash hoping.

Fish still on ice to be filleted this morning but it’s wet outside and I’m feeling lazy 😂
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2023 at 12:21pm
Platinum
Platinum

Went out from Cornwallis this morning, quite foggy just before sunrise then the fog settled in for the whole sesh
Buggar all current as well, including the drop off into the channel
Explored new grounds till high tide... just going thru baits... The first part of the outgoing got snaps in the bin to 40cm & some kahawai, heaps of snaps to 32cm went back
Fresh mullet & yellowtail best baits
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2023 at 7:21pm
Tonto2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I haven't been out for quite some time. We fished the incoming this morning, lots of small bites, one snap of 45cm and a couple of mid 30s, a nice Gurnard and a few kahawai. Pretty average really.
slowly going where everyone else has already been
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2023 at 6:00pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Grunter Hunter on June 11 Martyn, I've ordered the forecast & the fish Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2023 at 6:45pm
Tonto2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I'm in 👍
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Tonto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2023 at 3:37pm
Tonto2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I entered my grandchildren into the Counties Sport fishing family day yesterday. The early weather was crap so we didn't launch until 12.30 pm. Back at the ramp at 2pm with 7 snapper. Yay the all had something to weigh in. Emerson got third in the under 10 division with a 2.75 kilo snapper. The other 2 both got spot prizes. All the kids that entered went home with something including free sausage, drink and a lolly scramble. One of my granddaughters was coming from Tauranga on Friday night but disaster struck when the car blew up on the kaimais. Bugger she didn't get to fish. My told one the guys and they gave her a spot prize which we will post to her. So thanks to the guys who put so much effort into this and of course all the business that supported it. Guys you did it so well and all the kids had a ball. Thanks👍
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2023 at 5:40pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

That's awesome Martyn! I had other commitments and couldn't make Family Day on Staurday. I'll pass on your appreciation to the rest of the committee
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2023 at 5:45pm
Platinum
Platinum

Bloody hard day today at Cornwallis, usually Im on & off the water within 4hrs
Not today, nothing in the bin for the first 4.5hrs, just feeding fish with the odd throwback, absolutely stink, bloody getting desperate as Id had enough of sitting around getting nothing at all, but didnt want another skunking
Baits disappearing without the rod nodding, altho I did get 2 kahawai within 10mins of anchoring up at the start of the sesh, kept for baits
Tried some marks I found last year prospecting the area for the outgoing today, fresh kahawai down my berley trail (using dry berley pellets) in 3.5m, fish on.
I had a 40min bite around 1230pm onwards, keepers 40 46 60
Funnily enough, as luck would have it, the best fish was on the last baits of the day... good day out in the end

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FlawOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2023 at 9:20am
FlawOne View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice catch Bboat! I too was out there yesterday morning and really struggled. Moved a number of times to get away from the plague of bait pinchers! Had a couple of really nice takes but just seemed to be mouthing the bait and spitting on strike. Must try more of the super skinny water fishing, I bet that largest snapper felt like a freight train in 3ms!
Inner City Slayers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2023 at 8:13pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I haven't been out recently but CSFC Family Day was on Saturday. Tonto did well  and my mates grandson cleaned up with a 4.6kg snap.

Arron was out on Sunday and got 7 gurnard and a 35cm snap before the steering got a little loose on the boat. Third time i've paid someone to fix it so tomorrow I'll do it myself. Can't wait to get out there I have just been too busy
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2023 at 5:58pm
Platinum
Platinum

Went out yesterday after work for an evening mish, same spot I did well a few days ago
Specifically, to get a decent snap on my 2kg mono setup
I got 3 kahawai on the setup, kept 2 for a feed which I will age the fillets over the next few days..... & that was it, no snapper & no snapper bites
Zero sign coming thru & not much current on the outgoing.
What I didn't check, was the size of the tides for yesterday..... I should have gone to Kaitarakihi bay, it would have been more current there & guessing a different outcome.... oh well

Originally posted by FlawOne FlawOne wrote:

I bet that largest snapper felt like a freight train in 3ms!
Got it on my heavy 8kg mono setup, it's definitely exciting to get a fish of that size & bigger in the skinny water
I tend to catch smaller fish around tops 45cm, so I scale my gear down to "match the catch"
Bro, if you get a chance to fish 2kg mono setup straylining, anything 50cm + is memorable.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2023 at 4:56pm
Platinum
Platinum

Sun 7th May at Kaitarakihi bay, sheltered from the nor easter in close, zero bites & buggar all else.... stacks of sign hard down, mid water & surface action with something after them
3hrs got me a bag full of invisible fish, the 2nd time thats happened this year in 13 trips on the muddy

This morning out fom Armour bay, water really cold 13.4 - 14 deg at its coldest around my spots, nothing on the sounder, not much coming thru, met a jetskier, chatted with him around some of my older marks, it was warmer closer to the channel
Paddled over to the banks,water temp 15.1 - 15.9 anchored in depths of 2m kept a gill hooked 32cm snap & kahawai, heaps of bloody weed caught on the hooks & lines... re-anchored in 5m then 7m, then out into the main channel 8m... back to the bottom of the drop off in 7.8m.... got a hot bite right on slack water, lines almost straight up & down keepers of 40 44 45 57, plenty for us, was still biting when I left
Funnily enough, no weed at slack water, maybe it was just that which made the difference in catching fish.... who knows, nearly all fish were gill hooked
It was a long day 5hrs with the fish caught in the last hr of outgoing tide.... fresh kahawai & squid did the damage

Bottom of the tide = 400m walk back to the ramp in soft mud

Page  <1 269270271272273 288>