Manukau Harbour & West Coast fishing

Page  <1 268269270271272 288>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote seahunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2023 at 3:43pm
seahunter View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Wonder if one of these kayakers this morning was you BananaBoat... ? Smile 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2023 at 5:33pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

We were off Laingholm this morning, on the banks after sunrise
Pretty quiet for us, went thru baits, lots of small stuff up to the 30-31cm mark
Squid worked best
Before high tide & onwards, no baits worked
My mate went in closer to land in 9m, got 8 snaps all from fresh macks

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2023 at 6:23pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Nice work guys. I'm off over the coast tomorrow and Monday, targeting big snaps in the west coast shallows on 3kg. Fishing for CSFC  for the Nationals.

Take care out there, likely to still be a lot of debris floating around.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote seahunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2023 at 8:46pm
seahunter View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Out for a quick fish over the high tide today. Water looked really dirty with all the recent rain so wasn't expecting much.... The murky Manukau surprised us yet again!!! 
Biggest snap went 52cm. 4 solid fish 45+cm. We stopped when we had a feed, but were still catching. 
Old kahawai got the biggest fish, straylined pilchards did well, and a surprise softbait landed 2nd biggest fish. Crazy few hours fishing Shocked

Cornwallis was busy (as was the harbour). Assume with little Huia being no go people launched here with the high tide.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gurnard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2023 at 2:49pm
gurnard View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Awesome work seahunter.

I went out yesterday and also today.

Yesterday was my first trip in the Mac 420. After launching and realising I left the outboard keys at home, we launched an hour and a bit later into glass. Awesome conditions and bloody hot. Lots of boats out, Waiau Pa was packed.

Fished Ropers in 6m or so. Easy fishing, biggest caught on Kahawai but only around 40cm or so. Took enough for a feed plus a couple for the neighbours/family.

Went out this morning and managed a nice kingy in the same spot. Caught on a dirty old jack Mac tail that had been refrozen a hundred times in my bait freezer. Went home not long after as have plenty of fish to last until the next mission now.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gurnard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2023 at 10:26pm
gurnard View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Shot out again this evening.

Fished Ropers in what I thought was 6m initially. It was soon apparent that my sounder is reading wrong depths. It was more like 2 to 3m max.

Caught a small snapper on the first bait, then a nice Kahawai on then second, both released.

The third bait on the strayline resulted in a big take and a blistering run. It then turned and swam directly at the boat before again taking off in the opposite direction. I frantically tried to get my line back as I was damn near spooled. The fish darted around the back of the boat and I started to get some line back. It suddenly made a gun for the anchor rope and I did my best to keep its head up however the line snapped. Exactly the same head nods and runs that I had earlier in the week which resulted in a nice kingy, so I’m picking this was a larger model.

I fished this spot hoping for more action until it was about 1m deep, before I decided to try the Papakura channel on slack tide. Unfortunately the snapper were not really playing ball tonight and I managed one nice pannie before dark.

She was pretty choppy initially this evening but it glassed right off on slack tide for my ride back in to Waiau Pa. Annual fishing comp this weekend so hopefully I’ll see a few better fish come Sunday.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Tonto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2023 at 3:44pm
Tonto2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Took this gang of hoodlums out today for the Waiau pa competition, they fished hard and caught nice fish but biggest was 2.7 kilo and not big enough for a prize in the kids section. Primo day all the same. Bloody hard work bating 4 rods, removing fish, dishing out sandwiches, drinks and lollies. But we'll worth it.
slowly going where everyone else has already been
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2023 at 8:38pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Tonto2 Tonto2 wrote:

Took this gang of hoodlums out today for the Waiau pa competition, they fished hard and caught nice fish but biggest was 2.7 kilo and not big enough for a prize in the kids section. Primo day all the same. Bloody hard work bating 4 rods, removing fish, dishing out sandwiches, drinks and lollies. But we'll worth it.

Hehe a couple of tired looking kids and a happy as mum. That's what it's all about Tonto!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2023 at 8:39pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by seahunter seahunter wrote:

Out for a quick fish over the high tide today. Water looked really dirty with all the recent rain so wasn't expecting much.... The murky Manukau surprised us yet again!!! 
Biggest snap went 52cm. 4 solid fish 45+cm. We stopped when we had a feed, but were still catching. 
Old kahawai got the biggest fish, straylined pilchards did well, and a surprise softbait landed 2nd biggest fish. Crazy few hours fishing Shocked

Cornwallis was busy (as was the harbour). Assume with little Huia being no go people launched here with the high tide.

nice catch!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2023 at 6:58pm
Tonto2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I should have turned the camera around Mike then you would see tired😂. But yes for that is what it's all about
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2023 at 7:13pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Tonto2 Tonto2 wrote:

I should have turned the camera around Mike then you would see tired😂. But yes for that is what it's all about
Hehe good stuff Martyn, keep June 11 free for The Grunter Hunter!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gurnard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2023 at 4:27pm
gurnard View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Ahh damn I’ll be in Raro in June so will miss this year’s competition! Was looking forward to it too.

Also fished the Waiau Pa comp last weekend. Biggest snapper I got was 3.6kg, about a kilo too small for the prizes.

I did catch a 2.7kg Kahawai which was the largest right up until the end, my name subsequently rubbed off the leader board 😩😅 A 2.9kg model took that prize out.

Was a great days fishing though, filled the bin rather quickly. Lost a couple of larger fish. I did stop off to try out my little gurnard spot on the way back but only found small snapper there.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2023 at 2:42pm
Tonto2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Quick trip yesterday on the last 2 hours up to high tide. Plagued by small fish, lots in the low 30's but really couldn't be bothered with the filleting so sent them back. We finally got one of 55cm so kept only one fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2023 at 3:15pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Tonto2
In close to shore or out on the banks, what depth & what baits were best

Thinking of going out tomorrow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2023 at 10:26pm
Tonto2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

4 m, ropers channel. Mullet and kahawai. Think we were a little late getting out.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Carbon Caster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2023 at 11:03am
Carbon Caster View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Plenty of +50cm fish on Sunday in 7m in close.
Sabiki says No
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2023 at 11:08am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Well done CC
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tinfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2023 at 12:09pm
Tinfisher View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Anyone know if little huia beach launching/ramp is open yet?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schecter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2023 at 9:34pm
Schecter View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I went out on Sunday morning and I got zilch!  Not a single string puller.  I had some nibbles here and there, but it was very quiet.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dive'n'fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 3:42pm
dive'n'fish View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Also went out Sunday Morning plagued by small fish eventually got 6 reasonable keepers before we had to head in. 
Page  <1 268269270271272 288>