Manukau Harbour & West Coast fishing

Page  <1 266267268269270 288>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tinfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2023 at 12:27pm
Tinfisher View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

No posts in almost two weeks? Madness.... guess the weather has been a bit average and the rest of y'all must be at the bach instead of plying the old muddy Wink
Got out Sunday and got a 14kg King and afew rats / big KY. Much slower fishing than the last few trips, not sure if that's due to all the recent rain and the sediment making the water murky? Wind / tide / weather conditions were very similar to other trips.

Anyone know if the decent snapper are in yet? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2023 at 7:26pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Hehe good post Tinny. Yes, a mate asked for some advice on where to fish a week ago. They got two 58cm snaps, 10 other legal ones, 3 gurnard and some kahawai. I haven't been out for two months which is very sad but sometimes life gets in the way of the important stuff Big smile
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gurnard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2023 at 4:32pm
gurnard View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I haven’t been able to get out on the big muddy for a while now.

I did however get out for a land based fish yesterday out off the west coast near Piha. Swell was up around the 1.5m mark so we were limited on spots and tides. Fished the beach for an hour before my usual ledge that I used to fish years ago was accessible. My son lost a fish in the surf, picking it was a Kahawai.

Once on the ledge I hooked up to a just legal snapper which went back to grow bigger.

My mate hooked up to a decent fish but unfortunately pulled the hook. It went quiet after that, even with the change of light.

Good to be out there doing it though, saw a beautiful sunset.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mo-Mac1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2023 at 9:06pm
Mo-Mac1 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Lovely day on the Manukau, about 8 fish under 20cm then 2 @ 54cm followed by anther 7 or 8 under 20cm.
One was fat and great condition, the other skinny.
2 Fish, 2 families with fill tummies.
Seems less boats on the water this summer. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tinfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2023 at 12:54pm
Tinfisher View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Another slow day for us Sunday, jigged until arms ready to fall off and jigged some more but couldn't even catch a cold in the end. Nice afternoon out there though. Good to hear the bigger snapper are in the harbour though!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2023 at 5:27pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I did French bay twice last week, explored around marking new spots on the banks in 5m, with better bites coming from the drop off (2.9m) from the sand bar that dries off at low tide, easy feed but small fish around 33cm kept, best going 38, all really fat for their size & very oily flesh
Explored Waikowhai for the first time yesterday, was strong currents there towards low tide, just 1 keeper, prolly too early for that spot by a few weeks, was very quiet
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2023 at 6:48pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Some good reports thanks guys
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FlawOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2023 at 11:22pm
FlawOne View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Had a good session with a mate this evening after work. Launched from Cornwallis and never left the bay. Managed to put my mate on to his first Kingie which was a rat and quickly followed by another rat and then finally a decent one. Snapper bite was good as the sun set with the biggest going 56cms and in perfect nick. Most were around the 32cm mark with a couple of 40's. All caught on mullet during the outgoing tide.
Inner City Slayers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dive'n'fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2023 at 4:31pm
dive'n'fish View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

This report is a few days late but after packing it in from the annual camping trip due to the tent being soaked it was time to get back out on the boat before going back to W**K.

Saturday 14th and got a good size Gurnard, 1 Kahawai, & 2 Snaps. (Biggest Snap was 46cm)
Sunday 15th - Went out with the boys and we got 32 Snapper, 2  Trev & 2 Kahawai (1 10lb Snapper and a few 6 or 7 lbs Snapper)
Monday 16th - Went out for one last day with some other mates and we come back with 12 Snaps. (Couple of 7lbs snappers)

All caught within the harbour things are certainly going good at the moment.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2023 at 6:50pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

It would seem things are going well in the harbour. Thanks for the reports guys. I must give this fishing thing a shot!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2023 at 12:46pm
Platinum
Platinum

Just 2 for the bin today, lots of throwbacks & bait disappearing without rod tip nodding
Fresh kahawai & squid best baits, snaps of 37 & 49, took 3.5hrs to get a keeper

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2023 at 9:05pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Good things take time I guess. A mate got a 10lb snap today plus some 30 to 50cm jobbies and the two of them got 19 snaps all up but it was a very long day for them
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gurnard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2023 at 4:50pm
gurnard View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Went out yesterday from little Huia. The target was Kingfish.

Tried to get livies but that proved impossible, only tiny snapper around.

Eventually tried a few spots but too much current around for my little anchor on the banks.

Decided to try for snapper and fished multiple spots around Huia and one spot off Cornwallis for no bites at all. Very odd.

Most other Boats around huia were moving around a lot too.

It’s been a long time since I came home with nothing to eat, not one proper fish caught. Very humbling
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2023 at 5:38pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well, maybe not so weird - but our fishing - sth of Napier has gone the same way in the last 2 days - veeery slow. And it has been great til now. They are down there, just not biting.
Yday two of us managed 1 snap, 2 gurnard and 2 KY for about 2 hrs. A week before I managed about a dozen good gurnard and 3 snaps in about 90 min on my own.
So I would blame the fishing calendar, unless Chris Hipkins has changed things.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2023 at 7:53pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Good things take time I guess
sort of fart arsed around marking new spots for next time around Titirangi .... was big currents yesterday & most of the sign was in the main channel
The bite seem to come on between 9 - 945am. My mate that I kayak fish with had 7 snaps to 48 & 4 surface feeding kahawai from stik baits
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2023 at 11:26pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

wow, been some mixed results here. Arron and I launched at 6.00pm tonight. No keepers in the first spot so motored to another place much closer to home.In 3.5m on a big flooding tide we managed 10 snapper for the two of us in under an hour and a half with 2 at 45cm and the rest every size to 30cm. No kahawai, no gurnard, no trevs just one bite off. We were mostly straylining. Harbour was perfect.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gurnard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2023 at 9:15am
gurnard View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Mixed results alright !

Usually this time of year I prefer the inner harbour as opposed to the mouth area but the lure of kingfish was too strong. I spoke to a mate who caught some good kings in the harbour the same day, albeit further in. They too said Huia was dead.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schecter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2023 at 9:22am
Schecter View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I launched at Clarks beach early on Sunday morning and fished along the channel up to Wairoa point.  I hit a few spots that fished well over xmas.  But it was very quiet for me.  

I also noticed the schools of mullet weren’t as prominent as they were over the xmas period.  

The water temperature at Clarks was reading about 23 degrees C, unlike the 25-26 degrees I was recording over the xmas period.  

However, fishing in Weymouth has been productive.  Freshly caught Kahawai on a strayline rig made for great bait as the snapper couldn’t get enough of it.  The water temperature was reading 20.9 degrees C.  

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2023 at 10:14am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Schecter Schecter wrote:

I launched at Clarks beach early on Sunday morning and fished along the channel up to Wairoa point.  I hit a few spots that fished well over xmas.  But it was very quiet for me.  

I also noticed the schools of mullet weren’t as prominent as they were over the xmas period.  

The water temperature at Clarks was reading about 23 degrees C, unlike the 25-26 degrees I was recording over the xmas period.  

However, fishing in Weymouth has been productive.  Freshly caught Kahawai on a strayline rig made for great bait as the snapper couldn’t get enough of it.  The water temperature was reading 20.9 degrees C.  

Pretty much my go to bait. We were using stryalined kahawai baits last night. The water surface temp in the harbour is hugely variable and depends on the state of the tide and the heat of the day. At 6.00pm yesterday we were reading 27.4 from Te Toro to Clarks Beach and after that it ranged from 23 to 24 degrees.  The fish felt warm while we were unhooking them and I guess that temp is pretty constant in the shallow water. They were in excellent condition too it seems the warm water didn't trouble them too much.  I'm pleased we took a chicken feed bag full of ice, the slurry cooled them down pretty quick.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2023 at 10:17am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by gurnard gurnard wrote:

Mixed results alright !

Usually this time of year I prefer the inner harbour as opposed to the mouth area but the lure of kingfish was too strong. I spoke to a mate who caught some good kings in the harbour the same day, albeit further in. They too said Huia was dead.

Were you livebaiting or jigging Tim? Arron tried for livies  but we caught nothing but snapper Big smile.  He does ok on the kings just by putting a nose hooked livebait down hard on the bottom wherever we're fishing in the shallow water.
Page  <1 266267268269270 288>