Manukau Harbour & West Coast fishing

Page  <1 265266267268269 288>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2022 at 6:09am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Good to see someone finding time to get out. No opportunities for me. Good reports thanks Banana & Flaw
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2022 at 12:25pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nearly wussed out this morning, woke up to heavy rain on the roof
Flat as conditions, same on the bar further out

Heaps of under size then it stopped, around 9am finally got some keepers, then it completely stopped 945am
3 fish at 36cm & small trev not used for bait this time 31cm

Salted down some pillies for next time out

Best baits were frozen squid, the salted pillies & refrozen mullet were even money, water temp 19.2...was an ok day out.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2022 at 4:44pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Managed to out on the muddy today.Pretty quite. 1 kahawai 1 snapper and a ray.Nice to be out such a summers day. Chance to play with new FF.

For 3.4m tide it was fair ripping out. Fished off Matakawa ramp on way back in.Good sign but that was about it.Lots of weed.
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2022 at 5:51pm
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah mate, hard going on the muddy when its had multi days of calm conditions

Me & a mate set off from Jenkins bay yesterday morning, headed to the banks. I was in 3.5m, mate was in 7.5m, I got 5 snaps, best at 39cm, the bro got heaps of small kahawai, macks, snap stingy hammerhead plus a visit from a 1.5m bronzie beside his kayak
We were out from 6 - 10am, very slow going, fresh mullet was best for me straylined, then squid. Interestingly, an hr after high tide, pillies didn't get a touch... water temp a balmy 22.1 on the banks

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2022 at 6:03pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Nice, some good fish have been caught on the muddy this last week. A marlin was caught a couple of days ago out off the coast and one today for Counties. Summer has suddenly turned up.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2022 at 12:21am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Looking Whatapu from Tipitai head,out going tide,sw 8knots.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2022 at 11:12am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Lucky bugger Pcj looks stunning out there

The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Tinfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2022 at 11:22am
Tinfisher View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Got out yesterday morning on the last hours of the incoming tide to try mechanical jigging for Kings on the big muddy, haven't seen much info on doing so on the manukau but there's certainly some spots that look very promising on the charts and you see plenty of them off the rocks around cornwallis and Whatipu. 45 mins jigging and we were headed for home - 3 fish landed and kept one 105cm around 15kg and one 88cm. Picture cropped to add a little mystery to exact location but finding your spot is half the fun Wink

Got them all on a catch 150g Long John Slider 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Manaia#2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2022 at 3:59pm
Manaia#2 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Nice work Thumbs Up

Heading out tomorrow. But to the Hauraki G. Hoping it can deliver too.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2022 at 1:58pm
Platinum
Platinum

Fished Kaitarakihi yesterday, easterly wind kicked in 630ish & ruffed it up with white caps, had to come back in after 45mins & got zilched for that effort - not happy

Had a late fish off french bay this morning 8 - 11am
Lots of throwbacks, kept 4 snaps to 41cm, best snap at dead low tide in main channel 11m
Check out the photo for water temp..... warmest recorded temp Ive seen on the muddy

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2022 at 2:16pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Fishing in Ropers on Boxing day, caught a couple of pannies for tea.  Lots of small snapper around, as is usual for the time of year.  But a couple of them were followed up by what looked like kingfish. I thought it was a shark at first but caught a glimpse of yellow/green.

Nice to get out on the water, almost exactly a year since I last launched the boat.

It was really calm when we were out there, we came in around the high tide.  Then sat on the deck at home under clear blue skies in the blazing sun watching the thunderstorms over the harbour.  Amazingly localised storms.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2022 at 9:07pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Good to hear you've been out Kevin. Try the deep edge of Ropers Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2022 at 8:54pm
Tonto2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The mullet of the manukau are laughing at me, once again I decided to try my hand at catching these little buggers. They are jumping all around the net but nothing, nada, zilch. I guess they are having a bloody good laugh at my feeble attempts. They seem to be in plague proportions, anyone got any advice?
slowly going where everyone else has already been
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2022 at 11:01pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

What state is your net in Tonto? If it is discoloured that may be part of the problem
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2022 at 9:19am
Platinum
Platinum

83cm snap landbased

https://youtu.be/2FaylC2Puiw
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2022 at 9:24am
Tonto2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Brand new, got me beat😳
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2022 at 1:41pm
Tonto2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

In other news we have been doing OK on kingis but they are not real big, most around 80cm or so
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2022 at 3:06pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Tonto2 Tonto2 wrote:

Brand new, got me beat😳
80cm mesh?? should be able to gill them unless they are real small,cotton or monofliment net?

I have had no luck either on mullet netting,seen them and run net around them but no.

Bit of google and might be on to something.

I recommend setting your net in clear conditions in the evening or during the day in muddy water after observing where the mullet are moving.  Mullet actively leap and writhe through the water before crossing estuaries and mudflats on the rising tides in schools.  Most commonly mullet are found in shallow water as they feed on microscopic plant life and small creatures that reside in the mud or sand.  Their long intestine enables them to eat a mostly plant-based diet.  Stealth is important catching this wily fish, as they are easily scared away.  Set your net in knee-deep water as the tide comes in, dusk is a good time especially since mullet have good eyesight and may otherwise spot your net.

Remember that if you are looking for larger fish having a net with the mesh at the smallest legal size allowed can be counterproductive.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Tonto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2022 at 7:07pm
Tonto2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Sucess had the ropes to short I think
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tinfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2023 at 3:41pm
Tinfisher View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

That's a bloody good snap in that spot Banana boat!

Jigs have been pretty consistent on the king's in deeper areas over foul either side of high tide
Page  <1 265266267268269 288>