Manukau Harbour & West Coast fishing

Page  <1 263264265266267 288>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2022 at 12:18pm
Tonto2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

BB, we didnt do well on kahawai until we tried jigs and then all that sign turned into non stop small kahawai
slowly going where everyone else has already been
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2022 at 4:23pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Hehe yepp, little jigs and softies. The kahawai have been around in numbers in the harbour like I've never seen before (it's been 8 weeks since you last went fishing Smudge!). Mostly small fish. There's been a lot of anchovies around and about now whitebait will be making their way into the freshwater. and ky love those more than I love Lion Brown.

Maybe it's just another on my wild theories but if there are a lot of anchovies around I believe it's going to be a good summer/autumn for snapper
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2022 at 7:41pm
Tonto2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Interesting theory, what does it mean if there's a lot of Lion Brown around? ๐Ÿค”
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Transformations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2022 at 9:21pm
Transformations View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

....means it's going to be a good year for smudge๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ‘
We don't know what we don't need till we've got it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote DIY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2022 at 4:54pm
DIY View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Got out yesterday, good fishing, got these in a couple of hours.
Oh what a smasher - two eggs and a rasher!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Transformations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2022 at 7:49pm
Transformations View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice carrots there DIY, look quite chunky ๐Ÿ‘. Have noticed on the Kaipara that the gurnard seem to be at their best at the moment.
We don't know what we don't need till we've got it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DIY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2022 at 9:05pm
DIY View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yep, definitely in good condition. Most of the ones Iโ€™ve caught in the past few months have been a good size with a couple of really big ones as well.
Oh what a smasher - two eggs and a rasher!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mejobloggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2022 at 12:51pm
mejobloggs View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Did about 6 hours on Friday at Kaitarakihi Beach on Friday.

Used smaller line/hooks/bait that last time. Zero bites sadly

There was about 8 other people fishing, didn't see them get anything either. They were dropping lots of burley too!

Water too cold or something? Fish staying out deep?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2022 at 4:13pm
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Not an easy time of year to fish from the rocks . Try up from the Ninepin Rock at Whatipu, kahawai around up there and snapper before too long .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (4) Likes(4)   Quote AlexRecurve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2022 at 11:52am
AlexRecurve View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

It has been a while since I posted . . . but then it's 'been a while since I fished.  Far too long in fact.  
I hadnโ€™t intended to take the boat out on Saturday but with a 5 knot forecast and 1m swell over the bar it was too good an opportunity to miss.  Iโ€™m always one to get up early and be out on the water at first light, but I had to get the boat sorted and fix a flat battery on the wagon, so it was well after midday before we got to the beach at Little Huia.  
Unfortunately the 5 knot wind was a little more than predicted and when we reached the harbour entrance I almost decided not to go.  I was expecting a bumpy ride out to the 55m mark and it's a bit of a long slog with the kids aboard.  However, I also knew weโ€™d more than likely find some fish.  It's that time of year when things get really fire up there.  Anyway, I made the call to go for it and the conditions weren't too bad.  There was virtually no swell, which really helped, and the wind - although variable - was generally a South Easterly and astern, so pushed us along.  The skies were barren until we hit the 50 m mark and there we found the birds.  So dropped the anchor and lowered the hooks.  Exactly as hoped for the fishing was electric from the moment the baits hit the bottom.  I spent the first 45mins helping the kids haul up double snapper hook-ups and then disgorge/ re-bait, while my mate pulled in one after the other from the other side.  I eventually got a bait down myself and was instant into another double banger.  10 metres form the bottom I got hit by a shark which steam trained 30 or 40 metres of line from my reel.  There was no stopping it and clearly a very big fish.  Suddenly the line popped free and I was back in play with one snapper still on the hooks.  I swiftly cranked for the surface trying to avoid losing that one too, but not fast enough as she was hit again and the shark took me off on a second run.  Second time though it dropped the fish and up popped a badly mauled snap . . . . followed by the biggest bronzy Iโ€™ve seen.  Bit of a pain, but great to see and the kids were awestruck at the size of the thing.  We lost a couple more fish to it and made the decision to head for home after just 1 hour 15 minutes of fishing and 20 snapper in the chilly - bin, all in the 2-4kg range a lone gurnard, a couple of kahawai.  Epic West Coast fishing!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2022 at 1:21pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Nice work AR. I can't wait to get out there but couldn't fish west last weekend as we've been to Ranfurly Banks Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AlexRecurve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2022 at 1:23pm
Gold
Gold

Epic fishing there also I bet!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2022 at 2:14pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Out from Mill bay this morning for a look around, mark some spots for next time
Not at all familiar with this area. Its got some good structure in close in places
Most of the sign coming thru was on the banks, water temp 14.7 & 15.1 on the incoming
Started to chop up a bit with the SE around bottom of the tide, so headed in
Just the 1 kahawai, 3 fell off in the tangled lines
About 8-10 divers doing the scollop beds in 2-3m
Also had MAF or is it MPI checking those coming back in to check their catches... good to see & pick their brains haha
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2022 at 9:16pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

We had an epic day out last Sunday. We were on a mission to fish the coast while the conditions were right. Traditionally we wat until spring. A couple of weeks ago a mate hade a great day out there but we all know one good day doesn't mean it's all on. He fished at 30m down toward Karioitahi so that wasn't a surprise he did well on a winter session - albeit late winter.

We generally head to 60m in spring as that depth has been kind to us over the years and sharks aren't usually as bad way out there. So we headed to 60m ignoring the sign at 30 to 40m mostly because of all the bird life. We weren't there to catch kahawai with our snapper.

As we do, we put some baits down first and almost as soon as the baits were on the bottom we were on. Usually we use single hook droppers but I had some BBK 8/0 flashers and I lost the bottom hook straight away when something hit it halfway up while I was hooked to a 40cm snap.

No loss, I fished that single hook for the rest of the day and that first fish was the smallest. The longest I had a bait on the bottom was about a minute, it was hectic. Biggest fish was 17.5lb and most were around 50cm. Arron's mate Jamie had a PB of 10lb previously and he caught three bigger ones included the biggest. He also got his first snapper on a jig.

A flat battery was a downer for the day. Oops.

Anyway, no sharks landed, two snip offs, one kahawai and a heap of snapper, some released and tagged. Into the harbour for some very good scallops.

A mate had a 17lb snapper from the harbour on the same day but it was one of his crew so that will keep the crowing to tolerable levels. A nice fish for sure.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mejobloggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2022 at 2:12pm
mejobloggs View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Blimey, great stuff Smudge!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gurnard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 5:35pm
gurnard View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Bloody Nice fish Smudge.

I miss being able to get out over the coast. Canโ€™t wait to get back out on the harbour, itโ€™s been a while. Hopefully this weekend at some point!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 6:59pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Next time I need a crew I'll be in touch Gurnard, if you're ready for the Team Smudge experience, we're pretty rough & ready Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Skoti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 8:01pm
Skoti View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Next time I need a crew I'll be in touch Gurnard, if you're ready for the Team Smudge experience, we're pretty rough & ready Big smile
Translation " We like to touch and are randy " Big smile
COVID is no joke !
One former patient was so brain damaged after , he thought he won an election he lost by 7 million votes .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (4) Likes(4)   Quote AlexRecurve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2022 at 5:30pm
Gold
Gold

We had some high seas adventure yesterday when our trip ended with a tow back from the coast guard from the 45m mark;
The day had started very well -  the 10 knot NE was no where to be seen and the 2m swell was lower than forecast.  While Im told it was wet in the city, we were bone dry all day out at 60metres. Better yet the spring fishing was firing on all cylinders.  We binned up on snapper with a few kahawai and gurnard and only one solitary shark to spoil the mix. Also saw a couple of dustbin lid size purple jellyfish float past in the tide.
Heading in we cruised up to a lone seal which literally let us drift right up alongside her. Very cool to see one so close in the water.  So far so good . . . . 
It was after that that things took a downturn:  The engine suddenly lost all propulsion and we found ourselves dead in the water.  Gearbox issues I suspect.  No option but to drop the anchor and call for help.  Fortunately we weren't in a tight spot - mirror calm seas and 45m depth.  We carried on fishing whilst waiting for the coastguard to arrive.  which they did amazingly fast! -  yet still apologised for their slower than anticipated arrival!  Hooked us up and whipped us back in to Huia.  Quite the ride back in over the bar at 20knots on a long tow, with no control other than steering.  

I've never doubted paying my coastguard fees, and and luckily never needed them before.  Yesterday they certainly paid off.  Those guys do an amazing job.  All volunteers who'd dropped what they were doing and raced out to help us out.  They wouldn't even accept some fish for their troubles.  Hats off to them!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2022 at 6:28pm
Tonto2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Morning fish in the harbour on Sunday, nice weather but **** fishing, hanging out for summer, scored some karma by towing a boat a short distance to the ramp, will try again in November. Water temp 16.7
Page  <1 263264265266267 288>