Manukau Harbour & West Coast fishing

Page  <1 261262263264265 288>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mejobloggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2022 at 10:37pm
mejobloggs View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I'm using circle hooks. Would clinch or uni knot be ok? Or keep trying with Snell?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2022 at 10:53pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I use circle hooks with 3-a 4 turn improved clinch then back through the loop.
Done job on many gurnard and a lot of big snapper only lost one or  two to knot failure in last 50 years. Probably those were not tied right.
I’ve have had a record  for line class snapper in nz on improved clinch to 24 kg trace and fish for larger gamefish… kings and marlin and use that knot if tying direct to a hook and not crimping.

My gurnard rigs tied way described above often last a season taking well over 100 per rig, both snapper and gurnard.  I sometimes catch 20 gurnard in a session, plus a by catch of snapper and gummy shark.

Read Ray Dogue’s  Hook Line and Sinker cover to cover at age 7 and probably at least 5 times thereafter, uni knot knot not even invented probably back then.. Improved clinch knot was king of the castle back then. Love the old ways Smudge.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mejobloggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2022 at 11:08pm
Bronze
Bronze

Sounds good, haven't heard of a clinch knot before, will look up some YouTube tutorials
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2022 at 11:18pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by mejobloggs mejobloggs wrote:

Sounds good, haven't heard of a clinch knot before, will look up some YouTube tutorials
Improved clinch goes back through loop. That is the one. Tied right is very reliable,  moisten knot with spit before pulling up tight.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2022 at 6:14am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

A clinch knot is probably the easiest knot to tie and remember, quite possible the most popular and widely used of all the knots.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gurnard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2022 at 2:39pm
gurnard View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yep, I use a modified/improved clinch knot and have done for years and years. Never had one fail yet. I use it on all my swivels and hooks.

Where I’m lazy is the dropper loops. I have always just done a double overhand loop for my ledgers and dropper loops. It’s worked for me but I think I could improve my bait presentation and hit rate if I used something along the lines of what Shaneg uses!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mejobloggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2022 at 3:57pm
Bronze
Bronze

Hmm ok, all the things I read is that snell knot is the only knot to use for circle hooks.

Turns out everyone's happily using other knots LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2022 at 5:31pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

mejobloggs
Next time, try out around the rocks past the boat ramp at little Huia
Incoming tide around 4hrs onwards before high tide, first thing in the morning, especially good with a sou west or westerly wind for the incoming tide..... sou east fishes least, an old saying & pretty accurate, especially over winter
Have found the Manukau close in to be hard fishing if its glass calm water..... a bit different over the summer months when theres tons more fish around
Use salted pilchards or fresh mullet for baits
If you have 2 setups, use a dropper rig & a strayline on the other, with the sinker right on top of the bait
You will lose gear there till you get it sussed on how to fish it

Have you tried Whatipu, thats an all year round place by the lighthouse. Use a dropper rig with breakaway sand sinkers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2022 at 9:03pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by mejobloggs mejobloggs wrote:

Hmm ok, all the things I read is that snell knot is the only knot to use for circle hooks.

Turns out everyone's happily using other knots LOL

There is no 'right way' or 'wrong way'. I'm a big fan of the uniknot. I am not a fan of the clinch knot yet when you see people of ShaneG's calibre endorsing it you need to respect that. I don't tie it well but clearly he does. Find a knot you're confident with and stick to that for now. After a while you will form your own opinion and you won't need to justify it to others because it will work for you.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mejobloggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 11:23am
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by BananaBoat BananaBoat wrote:

mejobloggs
Next time, try out around the rocks past the boat ramp at little Huia
Incoming tide around 4hrs onwards before high tide

Safety question. Do you get cut off at high tide? Or is it ok to stay until max high tide? Never been to Huia yet

Heading there tomorrow morning 10am-ish

Hope you fella's have left some fish for me LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 6:44pm
Platinum
Platinum

cut off if walking right around

10am-ish ??
What times do you usually fish

Like most places in close land based, it drops off 2-3hrs after sunrise.... very different over warmer months when more fish around
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mejobloggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 8:20pm
Bronze
Bronze

Usually around 10am to 3pm
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gurnard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2022 at 8:54am
gurnard View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Finally got out on the muddy yesterday afternoon.

No work, Auckland was covered in fog and the harbour was like a millpond, so I thought why not try and nab a few gurnard.

My mate was off work as well so it was meant to be. Arrived at his place in Green Bay and proceeded to French bay to launch. Beautiful sunny day on land with the harbour still enveloped in fog. The plan was to try some of our old spots that we grew up fishing and see if they still produce.

We scooted out to an old gurnard spot that we have caught huge carrots at, however this is over a decade ago now. Didn’t even manage a bite here for the first 45 mins so we decided to shoot to another old favourite as by now the fog was lifting quickly.

As soon as we anchored up I heard a strange blowing noise, turned around and saw a bloody big dolphin coming over to the dinghy for a look. It got very close, basically touching distance from the boat. Last time we fished at these spots we had a pod of orca come up to the boat so this was pretty awesome too!

Again however, only one lost hookup here so we moved further up by the Mill Bay marker for zilch, then over to the middle channel in line with Cornwallis.

Here we had more action with a couple of nice Kahawai and one nice spotted shark (rig?). Only kept one Kahawai.

Back at the ramp on dark, tide well at the bottom of the concrete but easily done with a 12ft Frypan. We covered a lot of mileage and used about 3 litres of fuel if that. I still miss my big boat but in these times with the price of everything it’s good to sit back and fish economically….no fish today but she was pretty nice out there.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2022 at 10:41am
Platinum
Platinum

Far out, that's hard going.... very similar to my last 2 trips on the muddy
What depths were you fishing for the gurnard

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mejobloggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2022 at 1:15pm
Bronze
Bronze

Can you use kahawai heads as bait?

My girlfriend caught a few 30-35cm Kahawai near harbour bridge yesterday.

Have cut and filited them, not really any strips of flesh to cut off the head for bait, but would any bigger fish eat the whole head? Just chuck it out with a hook in it?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gurnard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2022 at 8:45pm
gurnard View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I fished a range of depths targeting gurnard Banana.

Usually I prefer 4m or so, on the edge of the channels. We tried in the channel, edges of channels, up on the flats etc at a variety of depths between 10 to 2m and still nothing! Very unusual but it happens sometimes this time of year.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gurnard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2022 at 8:47pm
gurnard View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Kahawai heads work for bait but usually for decent snapper. You’d be hard pressed to target them from shore in the manukau during winter as they’re not as prevalent. But still no harm in trying and you may get lucky !
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2022 at 9:06pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Kahawai heads in 30 - 35 cm range are great decent snapper baits.. only problem in manukau would be current to let it rest on bottom and if you get to do that then rays and sharks picking them up.
Send em eastside We will put em to good use. Primo bait to put out for lazy big snap while you are gurnard fishing. As you want to be concentrating on real thing. Smaller snapper taking smaller baits on a strayline can be very distracting when you trying to give full attention to your ledger rig.
Thin strips of frozen scaled kahawai are very good gurnard bait… fresher even better. Got all my gurnard yesterday on frozen kahawai…. But admittedly east side. 
Try the point off southern end of grahams just after low on incoming tide.. preferably in  late arvo. Should be few gurnies there.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote seahunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2022 at 9:31pm
seahunter View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Bit late posting, but went out Thursday afternoon after the fog cleared. Glassy calm, real stunner.
Fished near start of Papakura channel and it was just stacked with kahawai, everywhere we looked, throughout the water column. Caught plenty of them, infact couldn't catch much else!! Kept 6 or 7 of the biggest. Managed a single solitary snapper  - but what a fantastic fish!! 
We had drifted into 20+m of water, and whilst I was dealing with a kahawai that had taken my stray lined pilchard the silver shad soft bait that I left down got hit. A real FAT snapper, one of my best from the Manukau. 
Magic few hours!!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Transformations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2022 at 10:27pm
Transformations View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Great snap there.....and mint conditions👍
We don't know what we don't need till we've got it
Page  <1 261262263264265 288>