Manukau Harbour & West Coast fishing

Page  <1 259260261262263 289>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote billfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 6:07pm
billfish View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Smell bad???  Are you joking?  Smudge your satanic inspired shyte burnt a flippin hole clear thru the hull it did - and kept on going down through the ground - bent on returning to its home in Hell I expect.    

MPI want to know what solvent was used to evaporate the aluminium so cleanly and/or do I still have the recipe.  Some UFO conspiracy bloke from Hollywood got wind of it (so to speak) and reckons its absolutely 100% alien-predator visitation proof.    
All I know is that before it dissolved its way through the hull this evil odiferous substance was unlike anything known to man.  It accounted for many dead birds which had the supreme misfortune to alight on the rails and a general unsettling malaise about the neighborhood that nobody could quite understand or shake.        

Hind sight is 20-20 so they say but its all quite clear to me now that our Ninja moderator is in league with arcane forces not of this earth and could benefit from a good exorcism at Swashies - soon.  I believe a few long-absent high priests to these boards could be drawn from their seclusion to assist at the trial,... I mean exorcism.   Its all for your good Smudge.  Honest.  I pray, Let us wash away your guilt.  I prefer Stella.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 6:28pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

An exorcism at Swashies would be most welcome Bill.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2022 at 12:25pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

On the water 7am, couple kahawai before the main channel in 3m.
It was difficult to anchor the way I wanted to, a slight westerly off the bay with the incoming had me sitting wrong, I was expecting a slight easterly as forecast, so I would have sat right in that spot.
Looked around & saw snapper sign at the bottom of the drop off into the channel, no bites, explored around for no bites
Headed to the banks just before high tide.... bloody tide turned earlier than expected... the slight nor east with beginning of outgoing was perfect in 7.7m
1 under size throwback then 2 snaps for the bin, it basically stopped at 915am, got a decent feed anyway... paddled back in
Snaps of 43 & 55cm plus 2 kahawai for a handful of baits, squid was the best then salted pillies, good day out... water temp 15.9 deg

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2022 at 9:25am
Platinum
Platinum

Explored a new spot yesterday in glass calm conditions around 10am
I knew it would be very hard going
Lots of undersize snaps & a 30cm trev that went back
Marked new spots for next time when the tide & conditions line up better
Sooooo...... got this instead, first for this year

Definitely not stoked for my efforts, but that's fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2022 at 2:46pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well what can say went chasing Gurnard and still loking for them. 3 nice shallows spots 2/3m and yep kahawai ,come with 10 so smoking monday,and 1 undersize snapper,gutted one of the kahawai and what appeared to be chicken feet in it .nice and calm to wattle bay then came the wind and tide turned so a slow trip up the river,went past te toro ramp,10m hole and more bloody kahawai.Hope someone caught a gurnard or 2
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schecter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2022 at 9:42am
Schecter View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I launched solo at the local beach at 4am, and not a boat or kayak in sight.  I paddled to spot G, where we caught some fat gurnand and snapper last week.  I berleyed like-hell to garner some interest, but I didn’t have a single bite.  

TBH, I was lucky to have caught a feed yesterday.  

I did hook into something huge that made my Penn slammer scream!  It started to slowly drag me into some obstacles nearby.  I managed to get it to the surface, but it was too dark to know what it was. It then dived straight back into the drink were the battle continued.

After a 20-25min battle, I became impatient and  overtightened the drag.  Moments later, the braid snapped.  It was most likely a shark.   

Last Saturday’s fishing trip in the muddy was epic!  Yesterday was the complete opposite.  Just when I thought I had decoded the muddy, it comes back to bite me.  

Apologies for the no show at the Grunter hunter weigh-in and prize giving.  

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2022 at 4:35pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Did a google search this is like what we found in the Kahawai chicken feet?? Someones burley??

Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2022 at 11:54am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Sitting out in the Papakura Channel right now and not a touch in 20 minutes. Tide change soon and then things will happen. Maybe.

Had a good catch of gurnard off Pollok this morning. Doing it all again tomorrow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2022 at 12:08pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2022 at 6:55pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

That was the first time posting a pic from my phone :)

We got all those fish between 7am and 10am. Between 10.00 & 3.30pm we got two small gurnard, a 35cm snapper and some small kahawai. Arron hooked three big sharks that were unstoppable, one was on 50lb braid so luckily they all bit through the traces before spooling him.

Lets see what tomorrow brings
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2022 at 12:00pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

An even slower day today 6 gurnard so far but I did release 5 because they were small. Highlight of the day was capturing a small 37cm gurnard with a tag in it. It was caught by a guy I know last month and has already grown 1cm. About normal for a gurnard that size. Interesting!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FlawOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2022 at 9:40pm
FlawOne View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Slow day for us on the Mighty Manukau. We fished for Gurnard in the Ropers area over the turn of the low. Fish were few and far between but managed to nab 6 decent carrots and a couple of primo conditioned snappers. On the way back we came across a couple up to their waists in the water and surfcasting from the tip of the Hangore Bank. Not sure if I would be to keen to join them with the incoming tide and all but they seemed fine as we past.
Inner City Slayers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2022 at 5:30pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Anyone out on the Big Muddy tomorrow? The weather is looking perfect. The tides aren't ideal at 4.2m  but worth a crack. Think I'll concentrate on gurnardBig smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2022 at 6:36am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Ohhhh, crew called in sick. Fishing or other stuff? Think I'll give it a miss Shocked
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gurnard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2022 at 11:49am
gurnard View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I had planned to get the dinghy out today but kids wanted to go to the park instead.

Haven’t been out in the tub since summer. I’ve been so busy working lately I’ve forgotten what it’s like to have a fish.

Hoping to get out this week at some point and see what is about.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mejobloggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 3:49pm
mejobloggs View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Anyone having any landbased luck currently?

Spent about 6 hours around Takapuna and Whangaparao over the weekend using burley.... not even a single bite. Depressing.

Yeah I know that's not "Manukau Harbour & West" but I don't see a topic for East... Is it because it's useless fishing and no one bothers? LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gurnard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 4:06pm
gurnard View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

This time of year can be difficult mate. East coast is a whole different kettle of fish to the Manukau harbour land based though.

Should be plenty of Kahawai this time of year out west, as well as trevally and gurnard to be caught. East coast I have found revolved a lot around the time of day (fish the early mornings or evenings with low light) where as west is more about tides.

Plenty of decent land based spots to try out here. I’m no guru land based but do okay this time of year in terms of trevally and Kahawai around the Titirangi and Huia areas
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mejobloggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 4:11pm
Bronze
Bronze

Yeah might have to take a trip out Huia/Cornwallis

Interesting to hear you've been having success Titirangi area, thought it was too far inward.

Yeah was tryna fish during the day East. Maybe I'll give night time a try.

Not a real fisherman though cause scared of the cold LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 5:18pm
Platinum
Platinum

Many times Ive headed out from Kaitarakihi bay, just before Huia.... theres always someone there landbased fishing

Also worth checking out Lawry point. Go to Mill bay, walk around the shoreline towards Armour bay. Most times I have seen guys fishing there way before dawn
Try floating baits under a cork or something else
Ive caught kahawai & trevs on small jigs, just cast & retrieve, most are caught mid water upwards

Also worth doing sight fishing for flounder during the day
This is something I will explore when I get the time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mX3yQMQZQg
This fala does it on east side... no difference doing it west side
Theres a heap of guys been doing sight fishing for flounder the last few years & very successful with minimal effort
From what I have seen in videos, flounder are very aggressive & readily take lures when dropped in from of them
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTtZDmogG70
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mejobloggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 6:23pm
Bronze
Bronze

Huh only ever heard of people floundering at night, interesting.

I went to Orpheus bay recently. Small bay next to Kaitarakihi.

Lots of tiny fish but rather shallow. Maybe too shallow for any decent size? Not sure
Page  <1 259260261262263 289>