Manukau Harbour & West Coast fishing

Page  <1 257258259260261 288>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2022 at 10:02pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Apparently there was some swearing at net time Big smile
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2022 at 10:03pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice work awesome weather on Friday not a breath of wind.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2022 at 10:07pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Kandrew Kandrew wrote:

Nice work awesome weather on Friday not a breath of wind.

Yeah, was pretty cold when I got up at 4.30 for work. They hit the water at first light and that fish came aboard right in the middle of a bright shiny day. Great moon phase, got to love those 3.8m tides at this time of the year on The Big Muddy.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FlawOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2022 at 8:42am
FlawOne View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Wow! Great fish Aaron! Yet again the snapper fishing in the harbour just feels like it is going from strength to strength each year.

We did a short reccie on the Gurnard yesterday morning in a couple of likely spots. Was pleased to see the water temp sitting in the mid 16 degrees range. Snapper were noticeably absent which was great but so were the Gurnard with only a single healthy specimen caught. Plenty of sea grass with the turn of the tide and some big rollers on the crossing back to Cornwallis from Mako point made for a wet ride.

Couple more weeks and a few more frosts and we will be on for the Grinter Hunter!
Inner City Slayers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote v8rebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2022 at 1:45pm
v8rebel View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi all
Anyone been over the Manukau bar for a snapper fish lately?
Haven't been over since March, was a Kahawai convention that day, snaps and gurnard were sporadic, and a couple of kingis, but no sharks, so that was good.
Tight lines!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2022 at 4:12pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I havent been outside for a while but some good pannies at 30m off Mussel Rock a week or so ago. Easy limit catch but nothing nothing over 50cm
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2022 at 8:55am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Anyone been over the Manukau bar for a snapper fish lately?

We have actually been doing the trips

Been going over the Waikato regularly and headed NW. in spite of the usual advice we fish the feet 1st.. pick spot a, b and c.
Last 2 trips (of 7 or 8 so far this yr) in recent weeks spot a has worked with limits, few small pannies around the 40cm rest few nice 45 cm rest fat smokers up in the 45 to 65/70, and coming back in near on 1 hr early as limited to time we can stay out due to tides. 30 to 40 min to get out, same to get back inside the bar with about 2 1/2 to 3hr fishing.
 Couple trips before that was caught a few at the feet, moved to b around the 40m and nailed again with over flowing bins.
Some ppl are getting plagued by KY...for some reason we struggle to fill the wifes standing order for KY  (smoking)or able to re build our bait supply
Occasional shark more interest rather than hassle.

Drop around the 25/32m get  ALL the lines (bait) down ASAP, Give 15/20 mins , if only pulled 2 or 3 in in that time, go to plan b spot
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2022 at 10:51am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Drop some burley into the top of the water, you will get plenty of interest from kahawai
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote v8rebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2022 at 6:28pm
v8rebel View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Cheers for that
We usually check out 20m behind the bar first, or south to Gardiners Gap, if nothing happening head west and use the 1kw transducer to pick them up on the plane in 30 - 60m
Couldn't help but wonder if the big commercial trawlers had been through last time we out there....wasn't a lot of fish on the bottom, lots of kahawai in mid water
Will post our results if this wind dies of enough on a weekend to get over bar, even better when council finish the new pedestrian bridge at mangere, and i can use the all tide ramp on the old bridge again, only taken them 2 years so far ShockedShockedShockedShocked very slow
Tight lines all.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2022 at 6:38pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I've only been out there 5 times this year but yeah. I'd be looking at close in at first as Steps says. We were getting fish to 14lb in March in 8 to 10m.In Spring I always go deep first. This time of year, the opposite as Steps says. Heading north from the Manukau bar is possibly better but I don't go up that way as there's no need for me but some great fish get caught up that way.                          

The harbour is hard to beat for bang for buck at this time of year though. Find some foul in the deep and try that at the turn of the tide. Especially start of the out going Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2022 at 9:17am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Drop some burley into the top of the water, you will get plenty of interest from kahawai

Been advised in the past brings in the sharks big time, and does. Then go to move and they will often follow..

use the 1kw transducer to pick them up on the plane in 30 - 60m

Have found the sounder works well like that on the east coast.. west coast, again from local knowledge... just pick a spot from old school  read the currents/birds/ change water temp etc and drop.. After a few trips one marks spots, note time date, tide height, full tide height, water temp. After a while there is a collection where can just go out drop and catch...This works east coast as well.... consistent fishing is not luck, it is homework. My Dad did it from the 50s, I do it, charters do it, comms do it, locals do it

Couldn't help but wonder if the big commercial trawlers had been through last time we out there....

Got to give lot thanks to the greenies who fort long and hard to protect the maui dolphins. The result we see now in our consistent catches. Also can be seen in mpi rec estimates, general fishing reports, boat and surf casting, when compared to the unprotected areas nth and sth.
One often sees a comms trawler going up or down the coast during the week anything from the 40 to 80m mark. Going too fast to be trawling. One can also see where when they have been, are and going to on smart phone apps.
 And the number times over the yrs we see the fish on the sounder, and no matter what size, type lure or bait you present, they will not take it.
 My sounder is more used to find gutters, bit foul, anmolilies in the sea floor, locate spots, future potential spots subject to time yr tides etc..than fish.

Also very important is local knowledge espec generational knowledge. Couple consist spots to get started, but more important is your traces off the west coast.
I was given several, which still use as a pattern today...Hence a foremost reason I pre tie my traces on a jig. Over the yrs had many crew with their own pre tie, or tie on the boat, or ex shop brought. A ledger of correct dimensions correct size 'flasher'/ lumo/ lure has constantly out fished the above, and when they have change to a jig tied their fishing changes dramatically.

I owe a lot to asking, listening to local and espec generational knowledge for the west and east coast fishing.. and other than minor change of flasher or lure or lumo or hook size, those basic traces remain the same as where 50/70 yrs ago.

Do only 1/2 the homework, anytime of the yr,  over the bar, 3 guys get binned up (often bin too small) in 1 to 2 hrs at anchor.. not including travel time (approx 30 to 40 miles) throwing anything under 40cm back and upto 65cm if lucky 75 plus.
Feed the family, extended family neighbors friends, fill the smoker, and all the frames except the large wings go to the local community.
Every trip.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Tonto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2022 at 12:25pm
Tonto2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

**** me..... punishers of the world unite and rise up
slowly going where everyone else has already been
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote v8rebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2022 at 5:55pm
v8rebel View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Yeah used to spend a lot of time fishing inside the harbour in previous boats, so got plenty of spots, but what i have found, when you go to a XXOS boat, shallow water fishing becomes less productive. Thinking the big boat/shadow spooks fish in shallow....
Tight lines allLOLLOLLOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FlawOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2022 at 6:35pm
FlawOne View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yep, my mates black dog cat is like a bloody bongo drum in the shallows, my 440 tinny constantly outfish's it!
Inner City Slayers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2022 at 6:36pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Good luck V8, The coast has been very consistent for us but we do have the odd quiet day. Pretty rare though. I'd be moving at the first sign of spiny dogfish. I can deal with other sharks but those things are why I try not to fish off the coast so much in winter. I have a harbour fascination and right now gurnard are my thing. Yeah we have had epic catches in winter too but right now I'd rather pull a big snapper or big gurnard out of the harbour. That's just how I am. I'm happy to wait for spring to get back out over the west coast.

Anyway, those spiney's make a pretty mean bait for snapper. So do gurnard but don't tell anyone I said that ok? Wink

Here's a challenge and one I haven't done in 30 years. I used to take a fishing rod and no bait on a motorcycle ride out to Whatipu. I took no bait. I'd stop at Cornwallis, get some shellfish, catch some bait fish and use that to catch bigger stuff. 

A very do-able challenge for the coast. Kahawai make excellent bait. Half a ky in spring at 60m would  be pretty much a sure thing. Maybe smaller baits in winter though. A jig  session in close would surely catch some bait.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2022 at 7:46pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

When I do bait fish which isn’t often being a lure fisherman, I surface burley all the time and had no issues with sharks coming around. I have to transum mounted burley pot and muncher on my boat and I prefer using it than a burley pot on the bottom and your right smudge it certainly does bring the kahawai around.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2022 at 8:32pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Yeah sharks certainly can be a problem out west. Tope are most likely to respond to surface burley, spiny dogfish not so much. The other problem over winter of course are the baracoutta but seldom catch more than 3 or 4 on a big day in the winter. Must have caught 20 once though. Big smile

This pic looks like it was a harbour fish but yeah, another great west coast adversary!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2022 at 8:41am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

This autumn till just 2 weeks ago, its been bit strange, not a single shark, cudda, on top of the lack of big kahawai schools out off the west coast.
Only caught a couple  small stray kahawai, good for bait no good for the smoker.
But hey what would we know, just logged up 39 trips over the bar in 2 yrs, and logs show binned up every time.
Got to be crap fishermen, dont know what doing, as well as the locals info from traces to places being crap.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2022 at 9:35am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Steps, you need to stop this. Stick to the facts. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote gurnard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2022 at 1:09pm
gurnard View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Not too sure if what you’re saying is a dig at the stray line trace advice I gave you a few weeks back Steps, but dude chill out a bit. It’s worked for me many times in the past and I’ve been a predominantly harbour fisherman since I was 6. I’d argue fishing in the harbour takes a lot more time to learn and is more trial and error than our over the coast where really, to be fair, it’s like shooting fish in a barrel 99 times out of 100.

We are all here to share reports and experiences and give a few tips here and there. No need to constantly argue with people over little matters mate.
Page  <1 257258259260261 288>